Author Topic: ISO any types of budwood  (Read 1416 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
ISO any types of budwood
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »
I am going to be making my first attempt at micro grafting. I have several FD, poncirus, and other random citrus saplings to practice on and all I need is some budwood to get going. Does anyone have any I could purchase? I am not sure if this is the right time of year to ask or not but worth a shot. In wisconsin so no worries on regulations. Thanks!

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: ISO any types of budwood
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:25:59 PM »
Is now OK to graft? I understand that one should graft citrus in the spring. Or do you have a greenhouse?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 05:59:07 AM »
Depends on what kind of grafting you want to do. Now is a good time for me (zone 9). Cleft and chip budding now and will force buds in Spring. If budding, wait till Spring and bark is slipping.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 06:56:53 AM »
I am going to be making my first attempt at micro grafting. I have several FD, poncirus, and other random citrus saplings to practice on and all I need is some budwood to get going. Does anyone have any I could purchase? I am not sure if this is the right time of year to ask or not but worth a shot. In wisconsin so no worries on regulations. Thanks!

Micrografting is under a microscope, you can do you all year long because plants stay in a bioreactor.
But I guess because you don't even have budwood, you attempt to graft on small diameter rootstock, in that case you are late, PT entered dormancy.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:25:03 AM »

Micrografting is under a microscope, you can do you all year long because plants stay in a bioreactor.
But I guess because you don't even have budwood, you attempt to graft on small diameter rootstock, in that case you are late, PT entered dormancy.

Yes and I have active growing saplings right now in more of a greenhouse environment, so I believe I can do other grafts as well but i know typically micrografting is better for smaller younger seedlings.

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
I saw micrografting on youtube.  They were using rather newky sprouted seedlings as root stock.  You can sprout seeds any time.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 10:33:48 AM »
I saw micrografting on youtube.  They were using rather newky sprouted seedlings as root stock.  You can sprout seeds any time.

Yes that is my goal! I have several small seedlings that around 2 months old that I would like to attempt.