Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade

Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online

<< < (2/22) > >>

CoPlantNut:
I just received an order of sapodilla from Erickson Farm.  Their website says they'll ship 7 pounds of sapodilla fruit, but I received 8.5 pounds (20 fruit).

Packing was a little weak, but the fruit are hard and appear to be in good shape after being mailed, so the packaging was effective enough.  Overall I'm happy with my order so far; now I just have to be patient for them to ripen so I can taste them.

Any guesses as to the variety?

murahilin:

--- Quote from: CoPlantNut on February 21, 2013, 05:39:57 PM ---I just received an order of sapodilla from Erickson Farm.  Their website says they'll ship 7 pounds of sapodilla fruit, but I received 8.5 pounds (20 fruit).

Packing was a little weak, but the fruit are hard and appear to be in good shape after being mailed, so the packaging was effective enough.  Overall I'm happy with my order so far; now I just have to be patient for them to ripen so I can taste them.

Any guesses as to the variety?

--- End quote ---

Keep us updated on the ripening of those fruit. It may be the picture, but some appear to have too much green still showing under the skin. That means some may not ripen properly.

CoPlantNut:

--- Quote from: murahilin on February 21, 2013, 07:59:31 PM ---Keep us updated on the ripening of those fruit. It may be the picture, but some appear to have too much green still showing under the skin. That means some may not ripen properly.

--- End quote ---

They all are certainly a little green under the brown skin, though some have only a small patch.  I've only seen and tasted ready-to-eat sapodilla before; I have zero ripening or picking experience.  My 'Silas Woods' plant has flowered once but no fruit set- not surprising for an 18" tall plant.

It's hard to get good fruit in Colorado in February, though the citrus and (surprisingly) jackfruit have been excellent recently.

Cookie Monster:
You can add Peter Matsos who owns Park Hill Orchards in California. No website yet, but his email is chippiwa@hotmail.com. I ordered 40 pounds of cherimoya from him this winter, and I was quite happy with the quality. He has several different cultivars. He also has a lot of other fruit trees. Contact him for availability.

bsbullie:

--- Quote from: CoPlantNut on February 21, 2013, 10:25:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: murahilin on February 21, 2013, 07:59:31 PM ---Keep us updated on the ripening of those fruit. It may be the picture, but some appear to have too much green still showing under the skin. That means some may not ripen properly.

--- End quote ---

They all are certainly a little green under the brown skin, though some have only a small patch.  I've only seen and tasted ready-to-eat sapodilla before; I have zero ripening or picking experience.  My 'Silas Woods' plant has flowered once but no fruit set- not surprising for an 18" tall plant.

It's hard to get good fruit in Colorado in February, though the citrus and (surprisingly) jackfruit have been excellent recently.

--- End quote ---
Thats more than a small patch of green.  They were definitely picked too early.  While the jury will be out as to how they ripen...the flavor and sweetness will be nowhere near the level they should be at.

As to variety, tough to say.  They may be Alano or they me so far underripe that it could be a number of others.  What is the texture of the outside of the skin, smooth, "rough", dirty feeling, etc.  Problem is that they may have been washed to clean the sap off of them so that outer skin texture may be of no help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version