Author Topic: C-35 Vs Flying dragon  (Read 1443 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
C-35 Vs Flying dragon
« on: April 25, 2020, 12:05:06 AM »
Rootstock questions!!

I do know a little about FD, it cuts tree size of around 50% or more, encourages early fruiting with large yields, and tolerance to root rot as well as cold hardiness. Although slow growing, They are ideal for containers.

I am wondering how does the semi-dwarf C-35 compare in size, fruiting capacity (early fruiting? Yields?), would it make a suitable candidate for containers? Downfalls of using it? Etc.

I know very little about C-35 and would love to know more before I purchase a few trees on this rootstock!

Thanks

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: C-35 Vs Flying dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 08:15:53 AM »
I have 35 in my rootstock arsenal for a couple of years now. It appears to be a vigorous rootstock and does not seem to have any dwarfing qualities.....further study is warranted as I do not consider three years long enough to draw viable conclusions.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »
Flying dragon produces better flavored fruit with mos cultivars and does much better in pots, heavy soil, wet soil,and adds about 5F cold hardiness to many but the most sensitive cultivars.  If you are a good grafter FD is the only choice here.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 10:09:12 AM »
Most of my in-ground in-greenhouse trees are on C-35 and doing great in the clay soil, HOWEVER they aren't subject to rainfall so it may not be a meaningful comparison.

They grow very fast, doubling in size or more in a year.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 10:16:31 AM »
Thanks everyone! Reason I’m asking is that I’m debating to either get trees from “One Green World” or “fourwindsgrowers.” Fourwinds I heard only grafts onto C-35 while one green grafts only on flying dragon. However, I know fourwinds has trees approximately 6-8” taller than one green, and one green costing around 10$ more in total.. But I’m thinking more of the future in my containers!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:47:08 AM by franklazar26 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
C35 is a hybrid of Ruby Orange X Weber-Fawcett trifoliate and was made in 1951 but was not released by UC Riverside until 1986. As far as tree size, C35 is somewhat reduced with nearly all scions. Typically, young trees grow well, so that size differences do not become apparent until trees have born several crops. Generally tree size averages about 80% as large as the trees on Carrizo. Trees on C35 have good to excellent yields for their size. Fruit quality is also good to excellent.  C35 is well adapted to loam and sandy soils. It generally has relatively good freeze tolerance IN CLIMATES THAT INDUCES dormancy, but is somewhat more susceptible than trees on Trifoliate.  C35 is strongly incompatible with Eureka lemon, and compatibility with mandarins is complex and as yet not well understood. Nearly all mandarins perform well for at least 10 years, but many eventually develop bud union crease and decline. Over all it is an excellent rootstock where it is well adapted, with a good balance of traits and few major defects.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:00:16 PM by Millet »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 11:15:53 AM »
Thanks Millet! Awesome information!!

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 12:04:27 PM »
I am a firm believer in Millets proven Low Biuret treatment. It works for me, especially this spring, my tree’s are super loaded in bloom and fruitlets.Last year, for the first time using L/B, I was already amazed. End up with a lot of nice fruits.
In my opinion, if you use this treatment at a young age, your tree’s might be hampered growing big and tall. I like to keep my tree’s up to 7 feet max. I have about 30 tree’s now growing pretty decent on seeds from Laaz, on the old forum. So I don’t know what rootstock they are growing on.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 05:02:53 PM »
If you choose a C-35 tree, when you go to graft it, stick the removed portion(s) into a propagation box with peat pellets and bottom heat and you'll have lots of rootstock in no time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk