Author Topic: HLB Could Be Gone In 3 Years  (Read 2038 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
HLB Could Be Gone In 3 Years
« on: October 05, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
According to a news article released by the University of California Riverside (UCR), scientists there have found a substance which may be capable of controlling citrus greening disease. The disease, also known as huanglongbing (HLB), has devastated citrus in Florida and in other regions worldwide. It also threatens California crops.

The article says the new treatment effectively kills the bacterium causing the disease with a naturally occurring molecule found in wild citrus relatives. This molecule, an antimicrobial peptide, offers numerous advantages over the antibiotics currently used to treat the disease.

Citrus greening disease
UCR geneticist Hailing Jin, who discovered the potential cure after a five-year search, explained that unlike antibiotic sprays, the peptide is stable even when used outdoors in high heat, easy to manufacture and safe for humans.

“This peptide is found in the fruit of greening-tolerant Australian finger limes, which have been consumed for hundreds of years,” Jin said. “It is much safer to use this natural plant product on agricultural crops than other synthetic chemicals.”

Currently, some growers in Florida are spraying antibiotics and pesticides in an attempt to save trees from the CLas bacterium that causes citrus greening.

“Most antibiotics are temperature sensitive, so their effects are largely reduced when applied in the hot weather,” Jin said. “By contrast, this peptide is stable even when used in 130-degree heat.”

Jin found the peptide by examining plants such as the Australian finger lime, known to possess natural tolerance for the bacteria that causes citrus greening disease. She isolated the genes that contribute to this innate immunity. One of these genes produces the peptide, which she then tested over the course of two years. Improvement was soon visible.

“You can see the bacteria drastically reduced, and the leaves appear healthy again only a few months after treatment,” Jin said.

Because the peptide only needs to be reapplied a few times per year, it is highly cost effective for growers. This peptide can also be developed into a vaccine-like solution to protect young healthy plants from infection, as it is able to induce the plant’s innate immunity to the bacteria.

The peptide can be applied by injection or foliar spray, and it moves systemically through plants and remains stable, which makes the effect of the treatment stronger.

The treatment will be further enhanced with proprietary injection technology made by Invaio Sciences. UC Riverside has entered into an exclusive, worldwide license agreement with Invaio, ensuring this new treatment goes exactly where it’s needed in plants.

“Invaio is enthusiastic to partner with UC Riverside and advance this innovative technology for combating the disease,” said Invaio Chief Science Officer Gerardo Ramos. “The prospect of addressing this previously incurable and devastating crop disease, helping agricultural communities and improving the environmental impact of production is exciting and rewarding. This is crop protection in harmony with nature.”

The need for an HLB cure is a global problem, but hits especially close to home as California produces 80 percent of all the fresh citrus in the United States, said Brian Suh, director of technology commercialization in UCR’s Office of Technology Partnerships, which helps bring university technology to market for the benefit of society through licenses, partnerships and startup companies.

“This license to Invaio opens up the opportunity for a product to get to market faster,” Suh said. “Cutting-edge research from UCR, like the peptide identified by Dr. Jin, has a tremendous amount of commercial potential and can transform the trajectory of real-world problems with these innovative solution
Citrus Industry Magazine
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:32:05 PM by Millet »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: HLB Could Be Gone In 3 Years
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 04:50:26 PM »
Antibiotic peptides is a very cool new field. Should make a big impact on human health in the coming years as well.

Very cool.
Shane

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »
Hot diggity! Wonderful news if this pans out. Have read about other potential breakthroughs as well.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
If this means no more quarantine, then I am all in for it.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 09:59:12 PM »
Latest article about ucr's efforts on HLB, via phys.org

Phys.org: Delicious and disease-free: scientists attempting new citrus varieties.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-delicious-disease-free-scientists-citrus-varieties.html

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 09:23:39 PM »
HuangLongBing.....sounds chinese :o That would be great!! We live 3 miles from the Florida border.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 11:13:53 PM »
Could I extract this peptide from my red or Green giant finger lime leaves without a lab?

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 11:49:51 PM »
Sugar belle x __ finger lime may result in something worthwhile since that tangelo has already shown resistance itself.. but I think it is patented and I don’t know if you’re allowed to use a patented plant to breed with a variety that isn’t..? F2 hybrids could either result from F1 being backcrossed to a parent or crossed with a sweeter variety.. but then you may lose resistance by crossing with non-resistants..? I want to know which cross most possibly would produce offspring with the best bacterial resistance and fruit quality combined.. an F2 hybrid like
Finger lime x sugar belle  x finger lime
Finger lime x navel  x finger lime
Finger lime x sugar belle  x sugar belle
Finger lime x sugar belle  x navel
?
(navel can be substituted for any quality, non-resistant variety preferably sweet)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:53:02 PM by 850FL »

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 11:51:17 PM »
I was told that Meiwa kumquats were not bothered by HLB.  If so could I use Meiwa rootstock for other citrus varieties.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 12:01:17 AM »
Finger lime x sugar belle    x meiwa    x ____  ( <— I would use tangelo or sweet orange)

Thousands of seeds and 2-3 decades could result in some good interesting “non-GMO” crosses with just this set of varieties

If it’s true what was claimed about meiwa as well..

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »
Will finger lime even cross with other citrus? I thought it had its own genus, Eremocitrus. It would be great if it could cross with Sugarbelle or key lime.
Meiwa does NOT seem resistant from what I have seen. Key lime seems almost unaffected though.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:30:24 AM by TonyinCC »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »
I was told that Meiwa kumquats were not bothered by HLB.  If so could I use Meiwa rootstock for other citrus varieties.

We had several Meiwa Kumquats that eventually succumbed to HLB.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 07:44:35 AM »
Will finger lime even cross with other citrus? I thought it had its own genus, Eremocitrus. It would be great if it could cross with Sugarbelle or key lime.
Meiwa does NOT seem resistant from what I have seen. Key lime seems almost unaffected though.

As in true key limes right (not limequats)?

Also I wasn’t aware finger limes may not be able to breed with others.. but then again poncirus was crossed with true citrus and resulted in swingler  rootstocks so..

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 10:17:40 AM »
Will finger lime even cross with other citrus? I thought it had its own genus, Eremocitrus.
Fingerlime does hybridise fairly easily with other citrus species.
It was previously known as Microcitrus australasica, never Eremocitrus which is a different Australian species called Desert Lime.
All these are now classified as true Citrus species.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »
Good news!  Too late for the Rio Star GF in my yard that has been diagnosed with HLB.  I’ve sprayed it to prevent the spreading of the vector psyllids while the fruit get sweeter. It’ll be cut down in late January. 

My thought is the psyllids aren’t active during the winter so I can wait a bit before cutting the tree down.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 12:06:19 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone, good to hear some hopeful news.
I thought finger lime was the same as the Australian desert lime but I stand corrected. Happy to hear fingerlime hybridizes easily. Does anyone have photos of Key lime side by side with limequats? My Dad's key lime fruits do look similar to Eustis limequats I have seen years ago but fruit is a little larger and tree is less thorny than I remember those being.   

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: HLB Could Be Gone In 3 Years - article that dogs can detect HLB (early)
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »
Found an article that dogs if trained are capable to detect HLB, whatever this can help to early detect the disease. Sorry, its in german, but google or other translator should help 😉

https://www.pflanzenforschung.de/de/pflanzenwissen/journal/bello-gegen-den-gelben-drachen-hundespuernasen-erschnue-11140

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk