Author Topic: Satsumas Grown In Screened Facility In Louisiana  (Read 846 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Satsumas Grown In Screened Facility In Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 08:29:40 PM »
Interesting that they are planning to use the same root pruning pots that many of us are using.  I am surprised that container growing is expected to be more productive than in-ground, though.  My in-ground in-greenhouse trees are FAR more productive than they were in containers.  However, it may simply be that I was over or underwatering them and setting them back, where a professional operation would be more consistent. 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »
"I am surprised that container growing is expected to be more productive than in-ground"

Data can be manipulated to support ideas and actions that defy common sense.  I would stick with your gut on this one Brian. 
Brad Spaugh

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »
My in-ground trees grow fast and produce well will no worries about over fertilizing or watering, nor do they have issues with mites like my potted citrus do, especially when the potted ones overwinter inside the house, versus the in-ground citrus being “greenhoused” in winter.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 09:21:35 PM »
I agree with Spaugh.  Container citrus has to be feed all of its water and nutrients.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 09:37:36 PM »
I bet they are denser than an in-ground orchard would be, that would account for the extra yield. California figured out the best way to improve avocado yields was to decrease the spacing between trees.
- Val

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »
I get that high density planting could increase yields... but why not in-ground high density?  The only explanation in the article is that they want to try different densities by re-arranging the containers?  Too many variables at once, in my opinion.  I'm happy to see them try and document it, though.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 10:38:51 PM »
Just being grown in air root pruning containers, the trees will naturally grow to be smaller than In ground trees.  Thus they can be planted much closer together.  Red Grapefruit as a variety has shown the best results as to greater production, and higher fruit quality when grown by container production under screen. As for fertilizing and watering I don't think that will result in higher labor, as that is not done by man, but mechanicly by computer.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 11:23:35 PM »
I am very hopeful about growing citrus under screen, but there are still a lot of unknowns. Standard citrus groves that are designed to be worked from a tractor have a density of 116 trees per acre (25' rows with 15' between trees). 2,000 trees to the acre is something like 8' rows with 2.75' between "trees." That kind of spacing will require a lot of hand labor to maintain or some specialized equipment that is not commonly available. Also, one reason the grapefruit yields were higher in the UF study was because the fruit was smaller. Grapefruit is sorted by size with medium fruits getting the highest grade/price. In ground trees tended to produce a lot of fruit that was too large for the consumer and was sent for processing. Growing the trees in pots produced smaller fruits that mostly fit into the highest grade. This may not be a benefit with Satsumas. Thanks for posting this article Millet!