Author Topic: Ichang papeda fruiting season?  (Read 1771 times)

• USA, Georgia, Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
Ichang papeda fruiting season?
« on: November 21, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »
  My Ichang Papeda just started to flower recently in late fall. This the first time it flowers. I just wonder whether or not will it flowers through out the year.

I grafted a small branch of Ichang Papeda on a young Poncirus seedling last fall. It surprised me with its flowers at an early age. The rootstock is now not even 1.5 years old. It currently has tiny flower buds all over the branches.

Please share your experience about this papeda.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:53:41 PM by 911311 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Ichang papeda fruiting season?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
I have several citrus trees in flower at the present time.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 10:13:47 PM »
  I grafted a small branch of Ichang Papeda on a young Poncirus seedling last fall. It surprised me with its flowers at an early age. The rootstock is not even 1.5 years old.
It would not be surprising if Ichang papeda was very precocious. It is one of the smaller growing species of citrus (when naturally growing on its own roots).

I have discussed the connection between the two in other threads. (smaller growing size = fruit earlier in lifespan)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »
I posted earlier this year about a seedling grown from ichangensis that froze down last winter and then sprouted out again this spring and made a flower. The flower made a small fruit that of course fell off when small.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:05:17 AM »
Mine flower in spring and occasionally flower again later in the year. Depending on the variety, they can be ripe as early as October.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »
Not too long ago I read about a similarly precocious papeda seedling on another forum (it flowered 2 years or so!).

Does anyone know any lines sold stateside that have this trait? It seems like itd be good for that cold-hardy citrus project some other forum members are running.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »
My Dunstan, citradia, 80-5, Thomasville were more cold hardy than my ichangensis 2 year old seedlings last winter. Unfortunately, I don’t have much faith in my specimens. I’m going to have to protect them like satsumas. Last winter wasn’t even that cold.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 11:09:45 AM »
   I grafted a small branch of Ichang Papeda on a young Poncirus seedling last fall. It surprised me with its flowers at an early age. The rootstock is not even 1.5 years old.
It is quite normal that mature wood grafted on juvenile seedling flower early. Rootstock does not influence the degree of maturity of the bud.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 05:12:25 PM »

It would not be surprising if Ichang papeda was very precocious. It is one of the smaller growing species of citrus (when naturally growing on its own roots).
My IP is vigourous, i use it as a rootstock, good root resistance, tolerates alkaline soils quite well.
I really doubt that is precocious.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 02:51:24 PM »
My IP is vigourous, i use it as a rootstock, good root resistance, tolerates alkaline soils quite well.
I really doubt that is precocious.

My Ichang Papeda is not vigorous at all. It is an extremely slow growing one even with loads of leaf grow boosting fertilizers. It tends to grow horizonally rather than uprightly. The graft took place about 12 months ago. it is like a bonsai in a small pot. I personally think it will tolerate in that pot for at least 3 more years before upgrading to a bigger pot.

I like the way it looks. It probably has the most beautiful foliage shape among citrus varieties. The only thing I don't like about it was the ridiculously large and long thorns. I should have spent time to pinch all thorns with a nail clipper.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:59:24 PM by 911311 »

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 09:21:53 PM »
The only thing I don't like about it was the ridiculously large and long thorns. I should have spent time to pinch all thorns with a nail clipper.

Are you sure it's IP? Maybe it's a yuzu, they can have similar leaves. Yuzu has big thorns like nails.
My ischang papeda is thornless.
From my experience with kaffir limes grafted on PT. They don't have a good compability., în termns of growth, and cholrosis. Its own roots are strong.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 12:39:25 AM »
The only thing I don't like about it was the ridiculously large and long thorns. I should have spent time to pinch all thorns with a nail clipper.
Are you sure it's IP? Maybe it's a yuzu, they can have similar leaves. Yuzu has big thorns like nails.
My ischang papeda is thornless.
I've observed Ichang papeda to have large thorns like Yuzu (but in some subtle ways maybe a little different).
But these were not the IVIA variety.

(From what I've observed, it seems like Ichang papeda can have even thicker very slightly bigger thorns, but Yuzu will often seem to have a little bit more of them in number. I could be completely wrong though)

And there's no confusing the leaves of Ichang papeda with Yuzu, not on an entire plant at least.
(I'm sure if you searched a large plant, you could find a leaf of Ichang papeda that had the same petiole size as one of the less usual leaves with bigger than normal petiole size from a large Yuzu plant)
On a small Ichang papeda plant, the majority of the leaves might appear somewhat closer to how leaves of Yuzu appear, but there will still be some obvious leaves that have an appearance distinctively indicative of Ichang papeda on it.

The leaves of Yuzu that have the largest sized winged petioles will look like the leaves of Ichang papeda that have the smallest sized winged petioles, so that could result in a little bit of confusion, but it is still not difficult to overall tell the plants apart by the size of the winged petioles of the leaves, looking at many of the leaves). I have several plants of both and have never been the least bit confused.

I can tell you with complete certainty that the plant in that picture is not a Yuzu.
It looks like Ichang papeda.
I say this because I can see a few fully symmetrically sized winged petioles on a few of those leaves.
The thorns on this little plant also appear a little bit longer than they would on a Yuzu of that size, but I would definitely not use that as the only indicator.

A dwarfed growth habit is also very characteristic (though not always) of Ichang papeda, which appears to be the case in that picture.
I've grown several Yuzu plants (from seed and on rootstock) and can tell you that only the most unhealthiest or rootbound Yuzu plants will take on that type of growth habit dwarfed to that much of a degree.
So that is one more confirming indicator.
You can see that the plant has plenty of energy but it is just not exploding upward, or trying to grow out too far very fast.

When you grow many different varieties, and have multiple plants of each variety, you can start noticing these subtle differences between the different varieties.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 01:58:49 AM by SoCal2warm »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 02:01:30 AM »
related discussion about tasting the fruits here:
 Ichang papeda tasting / flavor
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41264.0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 11:35:27 AM »
related discussion about tasting the fruits here:
 Ichang papeda tasting / flavor
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41264.0

Thanks Socal