Author Topic: Powdery mildew and anthracnose mango tree spraying regiment  (Read 2731 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Powdery mildew and anthracnose mango tree spraying regiment
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:00:26 PM »
I compiled this information for my own personal reference off different threads of this forum. I'm sharing this for the Forum members who are not familiar with this subject. If you live in 9B you should be preparing for powdery mildew flowering is coming. Anyone else who wants to add or subtract. I'm always willing to learn from others :)

Powdery mildew prevention at first sign of flowering start sulfur fungicide spraying weekly.Stop spraying when flowers open until fruit set. Resume spraying when fruit are the size of BB.  Stop again then the fruit are the size of golf balls or high day time temperatures are above 80 degree's. Switch to Cooper fungicide for anthracnose spraying Bi-weekly until  a couple weeks before harvest. Prune after harvest stop spraying after October during the dry season. Resume again during flowering season. This is a regimen of spraying for susceptible varieties such as (Ice Cream) (Julie) (White Piri) (Dot)

These are some of the products that I use. I found them recommended on this forum

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:46:30 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Powdery mildew and anthracnose mango tree spraying regiment
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 06:13:49 AM »
I agree that preventative measures should be taken before either of these even take hold as they can be near impossible to eradicate if they get started.  I would like to first add that everyone needs to be sure about compatibility as well.  For instance, I was recently looking at using a horticultural oil for insects and very clearly on the label it stated not to use it if sulphur has been used within the last three weeks and once applied, do not use sulphur for the next three weeks.  Sulphur, in my opinion, can be a great tool for avoiding powdery mildew but this would make using it very difficult at best.

Also, Cookie Monster has posted a number of messages about this subject that are very helpful from my limited knowledge.  I will try to pull a couple of those up and provide links later today.  I do have to say that some of his recommendations are better directed for those with more than a few trees as the quantities in which they are sold are better suited for that purpose.  He did have posts relative to the Bonide products which you mention of micronized sulphur and copper.  He also was very specific about not sticking to one regimen but alternating products so the diseases do not build up a resistance.  THANKS TO Cookie Monster FOR ALL OF YOUR VALUABLE POSTS ON THIS AND OTHER SUBJECTS!

Additionally, I recently saw a couple of threads with another group that were advocating the use of Daconil for both powdery mildew and anthracnose.  They also spoke of it being waterproof which to me may not be quite accurate.  Perhaps it is more water resistant to a degree.  One poster did speak of his experience being better for it without using any surfactant sticker.  Perhaps the ingredients in it include a surfactant.

Thanks bovine for starting such a timely thread for so many of us here.  While there are other threads that have previously been posted in this forum, they are not always the easiest to locate for me at least as I am not very knowledgeable on doing searches.  Also, with starting a new thread like this, perhaps others will chime in about newer products available for fighting these.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 09:28:37 AM »
Thanks for bringing up the subject of sticker slicker.We should break that down to a simplified inexpensive procedure. As I go into the way back machine in my mind I think there is a post that  Bonafide sulfur product has a recommendation from the manufacturer that Slicker sticker is not needed. I definitely need to go back and verify that. Also Organocide plant doctor  systemic fungicide there is a thread that basically says that it is organic. The plant absorbs it and uses as a nutrition but because of the way it is mined technically they can't list it as organic. Yes the intentions of my bullet points are a reference point for me and we should work on it to share with others. For the backyard enthusiast it can be quite overwhelming when you realize that you have to treat powdery mildew. Much of the information is orientated towards the commercial level. When they talk of application rates at pie are square. That's when I dropped my bottle and roll around in the glass.LoL

Ps if there are any typos or Miss punctuations it's because I'm working off a small Samsung. Can not afford a cellular device with a glass cracked screen. :)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:00:56 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
In my experience I have noticed that sulfur does not wash off very easily. After several rainy days the powdery sulfur residue was still present on the leaves.
Just wanted to point that out.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »
In my experience I have noticed that sulfur does not wash off very easily. After several rainy days the powdery sulfur residue was still present on the leaves.
Just wanted to point that out.
Thanks for that I appreciate your input

I found this on the Bonide product website in the Q&A does this sound just like a marketing ploy to get you to use more product. Probably not since they sell a spreader sticker and would have a financial incentive to tell you to do so if it was somewhat necessary.

Q&A Bonide web site
Bonide Liquid Copper Fungicide Concentrate doesn’t contain a spreader sticker nor does it require the use of a surfactant.

I read on several different agricultural sites about fungicides and spreader stickers in which the consensus is if the label does not say may use. Then don't
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:01:37 PM by bovine421 »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 08:09:21 PM »
As i understand it, copper till right before bloom, sulfur as needed till you're happy with amount of bb size fruit set (trying to avoid pollinators by treating early in morning), then back to copper.

My question- when do we foliar nutrient spray?  I have ag citrus, ag palm, diamondr nutrifuze ultraRx

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 08:17:21 PM »
As i understand it, copper till right before bloom, sulfur as needed till you're happy with amount of bb size fruit set (trying to avoid pollinators by treating early in morning), then back to copper.

My question- when do we foliar nutrient spray?  I have ag citrus, ag palm, diamondr nutrifuze ultraRx
My guess would be the second week of March until June rainy season.

That's when I use a water-soluble fertilizer then switch to Time released during rainy season

But I am curious to know the answer to that too
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:23:24 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 08:31:30 PM »
I agree that preventative measures should be taken before either of these even take hold as they can be near impossible to eradicate if they get started.  I would like to first add that everyone needs to be sure about compatibility as well.  For instance, I was recently looking at using a horticultural oil for insects and very clearly on the label it stated not to use it if sulphur has been used within the last three weeks and once applied, do not use sulphur for the next three weeks.  Sulphur, in my opinion, can be a great tool for avoiding powdery mildew but this would make using it very difficult at best.

Also, Cookie Monster has posted a number of messages about this subject that are very helpful from my limited knowledge.  I will try to pull a couple of those up and provide links later today.  I do have to say that some of his recommendations are better directed for those with more than a few trees as the quantities in which they are sold are better suited for that purpose.  He did have posts relative to the Bonide products which you mention of micronized sulphur and copper.  He also was very specific about not sticking to one regimen but alternating products so the diseases do not build up a resistance.  THANKS TO Cookie Monster FOR ALL OF YOUR VALUABLE POSTS ON THIS AND OTHER SUBJECTS!

Additionally, I recently saw a couple of threads with another group that were advocating the use of Daconil for both powdery mildew and anthracnose.  They also spoke of it being waterproof which to me may not be quite accurate.  Perhaps it is more water resistant to a degree.  One poster did speak of his experience being better for it without using any surfactant sticker.  Perhaps the ingredients in it include a surfactant.

Thanks bovine for starting such a timely thread for so many of us here.  While there are other threads that have previously been posted in this forum, they are not always the easiest to locate for me at least as I am not very knowledgeable on doing searches.  Also, with starting a new thread like this, perhaps others will chime in about newer products available for fighting these.

That is a good idea to alternate fungicides.  While the site was down I did a little research and found a couple that can be easily purchased online.

I know there's more exotic commercial stuff but it is so expensive
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:44:05 PM by bovine421 »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 10:03:48 PM »
Hate to sound like a total quack but putting this out here because I’ve tried the copper and sulfur thing...

Take a small hand spray bottle “zep” is a brand at Home Depot, put two ounces of honey in it and top off with water. Shake vigorously to mix, spray your panicles with it every couple days. 1) honey is natural antibacterial/anti fungal and 2) bees are attracted to this and you get bees involved and pollinating whereas bees are not normally involved in mango pollination.

Before calling me crazy though, spray your tree with whatever but spray a few panicles only with the honey water and see for yourself which panicles have the most clean fruit set👍

-joe

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 10:44:39 PM »
I did not realize that Daconil (chlorothalonil active ingredient) was labeled for mango, but it is on this list from the University of Hawaii as being effective against powdery mildew and possibly anthracnose.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HITAHR_04-06-93_25-27.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVrN6V6f7tAhUiwFkKHektAvYQFjACegQIIxAB&usg=AOvVaw2qcSQQzePifu8-P8B5E5g3

Here is a youtube video about protecting mango bloom from powdery mildew and anthracnose featuring one of the experts from this forum. It is very informative. Har points out that sulfur is only a preventative for powdery mildew, and that you may need to spray more than once a week to get complete protection if there is heavy rain.

https://youtu.be/ASCaXA2r_zY

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 10:57:31 PM »
Hate to sound like a total quack but putting this out here because I’ve tried the copper and sulfur thing...

Take a small hand spray bottle “zep” is a brand at Home Depot, put two ounces of honey in it and top off with water. Shake vigorously to mix, spray your panicles with it every couple days. 1) honey is natural antibacterial/anti fungal and 2) bees are attracted to this and you get bees involved and pollinating whereas bees are not normally involved in mango pollination.

Before calling me crazy though, spray your tree with whatever but spray a few panicles only with the honey water and see for yourself which panicles have the most clean fruit set👍

-joe

Very ineresting. Now I just need to find an inexpensive source of honey. I don't suppose molasses would work?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 11:08:11 PM »

-joe
My wife says that's not crazy that's just good Bush medicine

I used this last year on my Rosigold   Its a powdery mildew magnet  It did wonders :)

Dry Earth Disease Control contains the active ingredients rosemary oil, cloves, clove oil, peppermint oil, malic acid and 13 inert ingredients and is made with an ultra-premium scientific formula providing optimum levels of killing power while providing multi-minerals to aid in disease-damaged foliage healing.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 07:53:30 PM »
Today i sprayed copper on mature Kent.  It has anthracnose here & there, always did & likely will.
If i get a couple dozen delicious mangos from it, i'll be satisfied after just 1 last yr.
Looks better then last yr, i fetilized better, foliar fed once or twice, spread some gypsum, sulfur, iron drenched once.
I've been watering it almost daily for 2 weeks cause i tossed some fert on it then.
I know watering isn't suggested, and cold spells needed, but i see quite a few spikes popping out & buds forming quite nicely.  I even used a toothbrush to clean black off buds i can reach 2 days ago lol.
Experiment, we shall see.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:55:21 PM by EddieF »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 10:37:11 AM »
The most recent video at Truly Tropical, showing a specific formula for spraying Sulfur with Copper Soap and Kelp.  Only if your sprayer has a good motorized agitator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpK527Y8JQ
Har

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 12:57:38 PM »
I bought a 15 gallon Country Way sprayer that has an everflo pump from Rural King for $60.  The sprayer itself is pitiful so I replaced that for another $20 and then I got an inexpensive bilge pump designed for a boat for another $15 and put that into the spray tank.  It does a decent job of keeping the micronized sulphur in suspension as it just keeps recirculating the liquid in the tank.  Just fill with what I am going to be spraying and have a 15 ft hose to the sprayer with the tank on the back of my carryall cart and it works well for me.  For those on a more strict budget that do not have a carryall, just put the tank in a wagon to move it around from tree to tree.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 08:59:48 PM »
Starting in October, I spray with neem oil (about 1 tbs w/ 1 tbs liquid soap in a 32 oz spray bottle of water) weekly.  I have 2 sample bottles of Dr. Zymes Eliminator, and have been using that with the same regimen.

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »
The most recent video at Truly Tropical, showing a specific formula for spraying Sulfur with Copper Soap and Kelp.  Only if your sprayer has a good motorized agitator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpK527Y8JQ

If you could respond to the questions I posted on your youtube video it would be greatly appreciated, Har.  Thanks

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 10:37:46 AM »
Anyone ever try milk?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »
I have tried milk before.  Not the greatest for those who are lactose intolerant.   Vanilla almond milk is good.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 04:09:56 PM »
Good one!!!
Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 10:05:41 PM »
i hosed/blasted/sprayed this today, on pictured tree. soil too.  i'll drink the cold cow milk :)
bare with me.  i've yet to have more then a dozen or 2 to eat throughout spring/early summer done.
my routine when ripe- every morning check grass for fruit.  Get it before ants do.  best.  passes sticky test.

Ya'll tell me sulfur dust spoon per gallon you use with success to prevent powdery mildew And anthracnose?  I get both with vengeance.  Kent my guess, worth every fiber in teeth.
Thanks,
Ed

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 10:47:45 PM »
Dec 29 i sprayed neem copper dawn on this.  Leaves were being chewed on & moldy.
Spray didn't hurt healthy leaves, but i'd mix it weaker next time.  Love the shine.
Bud pic is today, sprayed sulfur water on bud (was smaller) 2 days ago.
5gal tree planted Nov 2020.  I'm practicing cause i have to remove bb size fruit anyway so they say.

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 06:16:47 AM »
I did not realize that Daconil (chlorothalonil active ingredient) was labeled for mango, but it is on this list from the University of Hawaii as being effective against powdery mildew and possibly anthracnose.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HITAHR_04-06-93_25-27.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVrN6V6f7tAhUiwFkKHektAvYQFjACegQIIxAB&usg=AOvVaw2qcSQQzePifu8-P8B5E5g3

Here is a youtube video about protecting mango bloom from powdery mildew and anthracnose featuring one of the experts from this forum. It is very informative. Har points out that sulfur is only a preventative for powdery mildew, and that you may need to spray more than once a week to get complete protection if there is heavy rain.

https://youtu.be/ASCaXA2r_zY

Several days ago, I saw Har's youtube video and while I really appreciate it, I did post a couple of questions there which unfortunately have yet to be answered.  Perhaps someone here that is familiar with the video can answer them for me.  First, while many recommend not spraying copper and sulphur within the same mix, it appears that is what Har did in this video using copper soap and I just wanted to confirm this.  I do recall that in a couple of posts on this forum Cookie Monster posted about doing this as well.  Second, I didn't see Har use any sort of sticker and was wondering if one could prove beneficial.  Again, I believe Cookie Monster had posted about using Kinetic if I remember correctly and personally believe it would prove beneficial.

Any input from others more knowledgeable than myself would certainly be appreciated by me and I would suspect others as well.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 11:12:31 AM »
Ms. Chris Wenzel responds on her U-Tube site when a question is worded so that she can write a short answer.  She does have a farm to work.

I respond here on the public open tropicalfruitforum, also to non-general, specific questions that I can make sense of.  My participation here is voluntary, when I have time.  I am unlikely to go watch a video to figure out what is being referred to in a question.

Don't tell me that you watched me on a video done a year ago and that you want me to tell you what I have learned since!  But you couldn't be bothered to write a specific question about what?
Har