Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Figs-R-Us

<< < (2/7) > >>

nullzero:
I went fig collection crazy back around 2013. After losing some cuttings to mold, insect, and disease. Decided to limit myself to about 10 selections. I have Vista, Violet Sepor, Alma, Wuhan, Dark Portuguese, JH Adriatic, Marseilles vs black, Atreano, Conadria, and Paradiso. I may swap some out after deciding what performs well and not for me.

Viking Guy:

--- Quote from: ClayMango on March 17, 2015, 10:28:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: Viking Guy on March 17, 2015, 08:45:02 PM ---Clay just be careful going overboard with the figs.  Once they establish, they get huge fast.

I cluster mine in groups of 3 to 4 so they compete with one another and stunt down some.

The ones left to themselves end up 20'+ tall and wide

--- End quote ---

Well I have them currently spaced about  2-3 feet  from each other.... I think some heavy pruning will do the job, but I'm definitely going to add at least  4 more... The Cole De Dame Gris, Noir, and Blanc, Black Madiera, and this God damn *Smith that evaded me under the most unpleasant of circumstances!

--- End quote ---

They key is stressing their roots.  The ones I don't cluster, I will spade the ground about a foot from the drop line each year.  Putting 3 or 4 on a mound will prevent the need for this.  Throw away/compost suckers and cuttings from the ground, or they can take root on occasion and become annoying in the yard when mowing.  I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but just in case.  ;)

Pruning helps, but if the roots are left unchecked, they'll grow crazy fast in the hot months and it isn't wise to trim them during summer as it will make them susceptible to attack.

All that said, putting one out in the open all by itself, if you have the room, makes for a magnificent tree.  Definitely worth it if there is an open unused space.  Also, if you have issues with pests on your other fruit trees, a single giant fig will attract the majority of the pests away from all your vital fruit trees.  I did this with a brown turkey, and haven't had pests (other than whiteflies and occasional caterpillers) since.  All the stink bugs, worms, etc, go to the giant fig.  Yet, due to the prolific nature of it, their gluttony can only damage about 20% of the yield.

ClayMango:

--- Quote from: nullzero on March 17, 2015, 11:37:38 PM ---I went fig collection crazy back around 2013. After losing some cuttings to mold, insect, and disease. Decided to limit myself to about 10 selections. I have Vista, Violet Sepor, Alma, Wuhan, Dark Portuguese, JH Adriatic, Marseilles vs black, Atreano, Conadria, and Paradiso. I may swap some out after deciding what performs well and not for me.

--- End quote ---

Nullz, you have pretty uncommon collection there....I see tons of high feed back on Marseilles VS, and many of you varieties are mentioned on the *wish lists* found on everyones post.

nullzero:

--- Quote from: ClayMango on March 18, 2015, 01:37:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: nullzero on March 17, 2015, 11:37:38 PM ---I went fig collection crazy back around 2013. After losing some cuttings to mold, insect, and disease. Decided to limit myself to about 10 selections. I have Vista, Violet Sepor, Alma, Wuhan, Dark Portuguese, JH Adriatic, Marseilles vs black, Atreano, Conadria, and Paradiso. I may swap some out after deciding what performs well and not for me.

--- End quote ---

Nullz, you have pretty uncommon collection there....I see tons of high feed back on Marseilles VS, and many of you varieties are mentioned on the *wish lists* found on everyones post.

--- End quote ---

Marseilles VS Black is great fig, my friend has one in the ground. It grows fairly vigorous and has tasty sweet berry tasting figs of medium to small size.

ClayMango:
Figs selling on Ebay for over a  thousand???? a 2 gallon size fig going for over  300 right now.......Am I missing something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version