Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Best performing blueberry varieties

<< < (2/5) > >>

Daintree:
I just let them freeze, unless it gets REALLY cold, like low single digits. Then I toss them in the greenhouse.
And they are plastic pots, not clay, so they dont break.

Carolyn

Muni:
Pine needles help lower the ph. Commercially, the O'neal variety is good. If you want something beyond the usual, the Portuguese ones (Vaccinium cylindraceum and Vaccinium padifolium) are wonderful.

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Muni on December 19, 2020, 09:54:25 PM ---Pine needles help lower the ph. Commercially, the O'neal variety is good. If you want something beyond the usual, the Portuguese ones (Vaccinium cylindraceum and Vaccinium padifolium) are wonderful.

--- End quote ---
thanks ,I will try to locate those plants in the nurseries around me, especially interested in cylindraceum and padifolium.

shiro:
Well my idea is different but as I haven't tested it yet I can't say if it will work.

But in the idea it is necessary to find the right rootstock, arbutus unedo is part of the family ericaceae unfortunately the genus is quite distant.
But in this family several species could have a potential as rootstock of which some blueberries are more tolerant to limestone.
Afterwards you should also experiment with direct planting because clay soils can sometimes allow the cultivation of heather soil plants.

It is always better to consider adapting your crops rather than adapting your soil, or make a huge hole and fill it with heather soil.

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: shiro on December 20, 2020, 06:05:00 AM ---Well my idea is different but as I haven't tested it yet I can't say if it will work.

But in the idea it is necessary to find the right rootstock, arbutus unedo is part of the family ericaceae unfortunately the genus is quite distant.
But in this family several species could have a potential as rootstock of which some blueberries are more tolerant to limestone.
Afterwards you should also experiment with direct planting because clay soils can sometimes allow the cultivation of heather soil plants.

It is always better to consider adapting your crops rather than adapting your soil, or make a huge hole and fill it with heather soil.

--- End quote ---

I wondered if amelanchier could be used for grafting blueberry onto, since its more tolerant of alkaline soils ,but searched it and its in the rose family ,so I think this is not possible.
For my plants I did just that, digged a trench ,lined the sides of it with nylon to isolate it from the other soil, and filled with pine forest top soil mixed with perlite. The blueberries I planted in spring grew huge, some I planted in august ant those had already stopped growing for the season . Al of them have set flower buds for the spring.
The smallest ones are wild blueberries ,which I planted just like the others . I have top dressed them with spruce needles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version