Author Topic: Shade paint vs shade cloth  (Read 785 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Shade paint vs shade cloth
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »
I am thinking of trying shade paint on my polycarbonate greenhouse this summer instead of shade cloths. Anybody else have experience with shade paint???

Thanks!
Carolyn

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Shade paint vs shade cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 04:11:50 PM »
I am planning on placing shade cloth over my policarb gh too, just wonder what percent of shade cloth I need ...i'm also interested in the paint variant ,thought I will most certainly do the shade cloth ...
What percent have u used till now and was in placed firm on the outher side of the poli, or was it fixed in the air and placed in such a way to cast shade on the gh ??

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 07:24:17 PM »
Don't put the shade cloth right onto the greenhouse. It will rub the UV coating off the polycarbonate. My frame is a foot above the greenhouse. It is made out of metal pipe and fixtures that I bought at the camping outlet.  The current cloth is 40%. I used to have 80% but it was way too dark inside. 40% is still too dark for my high-light plants.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 12:39:41 AM »
Don't put the shade cloth right onto the greenhouse. It will rub the UV coating off the polycarbonate. My frame is a foot above the greenhouse. It is made out of metal pipe and fixtures that I bought at the camping outlet.  The current cloth is 40%. I used to have 80% but it was way too dark inside. 40% is still too dark for my high-light plants.

Thanks !! Still interested in the paint method ....will keep an eye on the discussion !!