Author Topic: Kiwano  (Read 11080 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Kiwano
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »
Try the horned melon (Cucumis metuliferus) - that is one very tasteless fruit.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:50:02 AM by Jegindo »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Kiwano
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
Try the horned melon (Cucumis metuliferus) - that is one very tasteless fruit.

It was imported into USA from New Zealand and marketed as kiwano. At first they were selling for $5 each! I think after a few people tasted it was the end of the marketing in USA! This was many years ago and i don't know if any are still imported? It's also a terryibly spiny plant to grow and can become invasive.
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
I actually find the Kiwano refreshing, the best traits are the drought/disease resistance and long shelf life (6 months room temp). I have been growing it for a few years, its great out in SoCal inland areas, very undemanding and nice yields. Can use at early green stage as a cucumber, or wait till they are solid orange and sun ripe off the vines for a good refreshing slightly tart slightly sweet taste. Not my favorite fruit, but for the qualities listed above its earned its spot.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:59:02 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:26:37 PM »
I actually find the Kiwano refreshing, the best traits are the drought/disease resistance and long shelf life (6 months room temp). I have been growing it for a few years, its great out in SoCal inland areas, very undemanding and nice yields. Can use at early green stage as a cucumber, or wait till they are solid orange and sun ripe off the vines for a good refreshing slightly tart slightly sweet taste. Not my favorite fruit, but for the qualities listed above its earned its spot.

Yes the kiwano does taste a lot like cucumber, and ofcourse is in same cucurbit family. Main thing i like about them is that unlike the cucumbers they don't get stung by fruit flies. So here it is a good and easy cucumber alternative. It's great as a salad dressing ingredient.
Oscar
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:40 AM »
Agreed, it has potential as a 'vegetable' - but in my view not as a 'fruit'
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »
Agreed, it has potential as a 'vegetable' - but in my view not as a 'fruit'

That did not stop the avocado...

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
A ripe kiwano blended in a smoothie with sweeter fruits is nice. I believe future sweeter selections in Kiwano are possible with a little breeding effort.

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »
I am growing this plant this year. It is a beautiful plant, and the fuzz on the leaves is dense, but is soft, and does not give you splinters that look and feel like fiberglass.

I have heard it produces very densely for a plant of it's size. I have also heard it can be used like a cucumber, and tastes much better with sugar sprinkled on it (but what doesn't?). I will write a, ah, review when I get my first fruit.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:46:47 PM by Sanddollarmoon »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
Kiwano is a great producer for the space. Here is some pictures of the Kiwano I grew back about 3 years ago in a container.

9/18/10, Growing out of 15 gal container

10/30/10, Was around (10) 1 LB fruits with +5 more developing

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
That was an amazing setup, Nullzero! I like it! What did you do with ten pounds of fruit?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
That was an amazing setup, Nullzero! I like it! What did you do with ten pounds of fruit?

Ate about 6 fresh out of hand in the first month. The rest I stored for upto 1 year and ate later.

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »
I'm curious how many people who call Kiwanos "tasteless" are just people who bought them from markets, etc where they weren't to the full ripeness like any other "exotic" fruit at a market.

I'm personally a bit excited to try making some Kiwano ice-cream or sorbet this year. I've only got two plants right now that germinated out of 6 seeds a couple months ago, they're just not getting to their "rampant growth" stage. They take a while first to establish. Two years ago I tried growing some but they began fruiting right when the freeze came in, and sadly I never had a chance to harvest any. This year I've got a heated greenhouse though :)
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
I think I will use a big container to bring mine indoors for the winter.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 12:12:06 AM »
I think I will use a big container to bring mine indoors for the winter.

They are annuals, it won't be worth it. Unless you have it grafted onto a perennial relative.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »
I'm curious how many people who call Kiwanos "tasteless" are just people who bought them from markets, etc where they weren't to the full ripeness like any other "exotic" fruit at a market.

I'm personally a bit excited to try making some Kiwano ice-cream or sorbet this year. I've only got two plants right now that germinated out of 6 seeds a couple months ago, they're just not getting to their "rampant growth" stage. They take a while first to establish. Two years ago I tried growing some but they began fruiting right when the freeze came in, and sadly I never had a chance to harvest any. This year I've got a heated greenhouse though :)

When the kiwanos first came onto markets in USA quite some years ago from NZ  they were very costly. Something like $5 per fruit. I think people that paid that high price were very disapointed because they expected something fabulous, maybe mangosteen-like, or mango-like for that price, not something that tastes like a cucumber. I think the fruit was not well marketed in USA and that killed it's possibilities here.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:34:08 AM »
Anyone know if there's been any progress breeding a sweeter kiwano? I love it with some sugar, it's like kiwi jello, but it'd be great if there was a naturally sweeter variety
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
I tried some recently.  The plants are really nice and the fruits so interesting looking. But no, still the same taste lacking fruit.  If they are going to market it here, first I would change the name.  Kiwano sounds too much like guano.  It should be sold in the salad section of the supermarket, not with the sweet fruits.  This family of fruits does have its members which can have you scratching your head in wonder as to why anyone would want to eat one. One such was a fruit (can't remember its exact name) Noel (Florida Green Man) brought to a fruit tasting that I attended.  I likened it to a cucumber with rocks in it. Quite an eating experience.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
I tried my first, home grown today, I liked it a lot, it was orange, sweet, a mix of banana and cucumber and lemon... should I wait till all of them are orange colored? do all ripe in orange colour or could be green/orange ones perfectly ripe?
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 02:03:24 AM »
huertasurbanas,

Not many members interested in kiwano here.  I posted a couple of times before but no reply.  From what I read before, it will turn completely orange when fully ripe and it is best to allow it to ripen on the plant itself for best taste. 

BTW, could you please have a look at my plant.  It has climbed all the way to the top and still growing.  But, no signs of any flower yet.  Initially, I did use a seaweed based liquid fertilizer.  Is this causing only vegetative growth?  It is already more than 12 feet tall.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 02:53:26 AM »
Growing in constant shade?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 04:24:48 AM »
It's getting around 6-7 hours of direct sunlight everyday.  Right now the temperature is in the range of 36-38 ºC (97-100 ºF) and expected to go till 40ºC (104ºF).  Is the weather too hot for this plant?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 04:43:05 AM »
No, but perhaps the amount of sun is on the low side? How old is the vine?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 04:46:41 AM »
About 110-120 days now.  How much light is optimum?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:52:37 AM by guardian123abc »

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 06:27:44 AM »
About 110-120 days now.  How much light is optimum?

Good question - I got plenty of fruits in near full sunlight. I can see it is about to reach the roof with more sunlight - perhaps then it will flower?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 07:25:10 AM »
Good question - I got plenty of fruits in near full sunlight. I can see it is about to reach the roof with more sunlight - perhaps then it will flower?

I hope so.  Thank you for taking the time to reply, Soren.  I'm very much hopeful for this vine to fruit even if not for pleasure, at least for medical purpose.  Alkaloids extracted from the pulp has been noted to reduce viral load of Hepatitis B in lab rats.  My dad's been a carrier since mid-80s.  The viral load seemed to be reducing gradually, but in the past 2 years, it started fluctuating. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk