Author Topic: WTB Apple scions for FL panhandle  (Read 2119 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
WTB Apple scions for FL panhandle
« on: January 18, 2021, 07:16:56 AM »
Looking for a handful of scions of any types of apples that might do well here in the FL panhandle. Varieties such as Joy, Anna, golden dorsett, etc. Figure any varieties that have 500 hours or less of chill requirements might do OK here. Please let me know what you got! Probably would need to get the scions in February to attempt grafting before the trees fully wake.

Thanks! DG
Trying to grow it all!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Apple scions for FL panhandle
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:09:07 AM »
Hi Derek, I can send you a bunch of cuttings in a few weeks. I need to train my apples. I have the usual suspects, anna, ein shemer etc. Do you have plums? I need to cut them back as well. D

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 02:22:20 AM »
I have Fuji.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »
Hi Derek, I can send you a bunch of cuttings in a few weeks. I need to train my apples. I have the usual suspects, anna, ein shemer etc. Do you have plums? I need to cut them back as well. D

I do have Chickasaw plum but not any great improved types. The Chickasaw on my property is a better one than most you find wild. Fair sized fruits and not bad flavor. On the property next to mine the guy has a huge Chickasaw plum too but the fruits are small and tart.

Figure if I'm gonna try grafting I need to get things moving. Warmer than usual here already and things are thinking about waking up.

I have Fuji.

I think I remember seeing Fuji was under 5-6 hundred chill hours which should be OK. Is that correct?
Trying to grow it all!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 07:03:10 AM »
From what I have been told and seen in my own trees, apples can produce fruit in much lower chill hours than would be ideal for them. They basically become indeterminate and produce several small flushes of fruit throughout the year. D

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 03:32:16 PM »
Definitely would take some cuttings of your Anna and ein shemer  apples. Any other varieties? Looking for Joy and golden dorsett and basically any that might do well here. However I have only 4-6 branches I could try grafting onto. Would like to put a different type on each branch if possible. Assuming good success hopefully...but if some don't take it is what it is.

Saw you mentioned plums. What varieties do you got going on there?

If we could I'd like to try getting scions while both my plants are still dormant and the scions too. Getting kinda warm here already and some types of fruits are starting to swell buds already too. If not no worries there's always next year/time or trying bud grafting in summer.

Trying to grow it all!

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »
Definitely would take some cuttings of your Anna and ein shemer  apples. Any other varieties? Looking for Joy and golden dorsett and basically any that might do well here. However I have only 4-6 branches I could try grafting onto. Would like to put a different type on each branch if possible. Assuming good success hopefully...but if some don't take it is what it is.

Saw you mentioned plums. What varieties do you got going on there?

If we could I'd like to try getting scions while both my plants are still dormant and the scions too. Getting kinda warm here already and some types of fruits are starting to swell buds already too. If not no worries there's always next year/time or trying bud grafting in summer.

Contact the user "spaugh". He's got Golden Dorsett.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 08:07:51 AM »
Anyone else out there with low chill varieties?
Trying to grow it all!

gumbo2go

• USA, Louisiana, Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 12:07:23 PM »
DG, sorry for the delay but I’ve used John Desrosiers at Quincy Nursery near Tallahassee.  He is a wealth of knowledge (graft master) and has low chill apple trees.  Www.quincynursery.com
- Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now & then!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 07:35:56 AM »
Didn't think about him. Did meet the guy once at a permaculture event in which he was doing grafting tutorials. I'll check his website.  Thanks!
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 12:12:17 PM »
I have a good handful of golden Dorsett apple cuttings I could take. Definitely would trade for any other low chill apple, pears, Asian pear, persimmon, or Mulberry varieties I don't have.
Trying to grow it all!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 07:09:58 AM »
I got some small grafted apples from kuffle creek. Check out their site. D