Author Topic: Cold tolerant question  (Read 912 times)

Charlie23

• View Profile
Cold tolerant question
« on: January 10, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »
which one of these are the most and second tolerant to sub 35 degree temp?  Mango tree, guava tree and sugar apple tree?  I can only fit a few containers in my small garage, so just trying to prioritize.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Cold tolerant question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:16:27 PM »
Guava mango and you should try to find a atemoya which is more cold tolerant  then a sugar apple.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 06:38:40 AM »
Middle of January still harvesting a few guavas here and there. January's low temperatures averaging  in the 40s

Pink guava Bush purchase from Pine Island over 15 years ago
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:52:13 AM »
Mango is the most cold hardy by far. Most guava are fairly cold intolerant(Lemon being an exception) and sugar apples do not like the cold at all but if they have time to go dormant they will do better.  If your garage is enclosed and attached to the house then you shouldn't have a problem with any of them kept in containers in there. If you are still concerned then put a heat lamp and that should keep the nip off. The problem with all of them is less the cold and more the frost.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:09:16 AM »
which one of these are the most and second tolerant to sub 35 degree temp?  Mango tree, guava tree and sugar apple tree?  I can only fit a few containers in my small garage, so just trying to prioritize.

Would be best to show/tell where you are located (city location more important than USDA zone).
- Rob

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »
Yes, whereabouts are you located?
I fruit different guava species but could never fruit sugar apple or even keep a mango alive.