1 (0.9%)
Murcott
2 (1.9%)
Nova (Clemenvilla)
2 (1.9%)
Orri
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Your favorite and most Delicious and tastier Citrus.  (Read 8566 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite and most Delicious and tastier Citrus.
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »
SC4001992. your Ponkan mandarins are indeed seedless fruits.  You wrote that your Ponkan mandarins each had about 6 seeds.  By USDA regulations  any citrus that contains 6 seeds or less can be legally marketed as a seedless fruit.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2020, 02:45:22 PM »
So at Thanksgiving we did a taste testing with 4 varieties and the hands down winner was the Okitsu followed by the Owari then kishu and last was the miyagawa. This was the first season for both the okitsu and miyagawa fruiting. So thats a great sign for the Okitsu as it was the clear winner for everyone who tried it which was 12 people.

New Years I will be tasting an early picked Dekopon, Early picked Tango, Tahoe Gold, Cara Cara and Honey,

Then in Spring it will be all the golds- tahoe, shasta and nugget (no fruit this year on yosemite - will fruit this spring) and tango.

Next season I will be adding to the taste testing Yosemite, Moro, Xie Shan, Lee x Nova,

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2020, 01:09:09 AM »
Millet, ok thanks for that info.

Containerman, good to know that Okitsu wase is one of the better tasting ones in your taste taste. I will need to get a some Okitsu wase scions again and try it on my tree, maybe I got rid of my grafts too soon.

Looks like we have similar mandarin varieties, will be interesting to see how your taste test goes in spring. My Cara Cara oranges are ripe (see photo) so I have been eating them and they are good. Dekopon is already yellow/orange but I will wait until first week of Feb to pick most of them (sweetest time here). I did not care for the Tahoe (average taste) so got rid of my tree, but the Gold Nugget is good but make sure to let it get fully ripe.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:13:22 AM by sc4001992 »

IndrioCitrus

• Vero Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2020, 12:50:05 PM »
OMG!

so many! :D, I am wondering how can I taste them all :). I maybe can order the fruit online?

John

You can! Check out https://www.halegroves.com/ or https://www.pittmandavis.com/. You can also buy your own citrus tree here https://www.citrus.com/!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
Satsuma (from an old mature tree), Kishu, Minneola tangelo, Shasta Gold, Page, in that order.
Kishu tastes very similar to Satsuma, and I would say Kishu is a close second, almost tying with Satsuma for first place. Satsuma can be very variable in fruit quality and flavor however. You need to get a very fresh picked fruit from an old tree to really be able to appreciate how good the flavor of Satsuma can be. I find all the different varieties of Satsuma to taste very similar. A Satsuma fruit that is not such good quality can taste not as good as all the varieties listed.
Shasta Gold and Page each have a very different type of flavor from Satsuma. Page has a flavor more reminiscent of Minnealo tangelo but more orange and pine needle fragrance.

This list does not include grapefruits and lemons. Valencia oranges can also be very good, but it is hard to rank them and compare them to the other varieties here, since they all have different flavors.

I have also had the opportunity to taste Lee x Nova, and it is very good, better than most other mandarin varieties, but still at least in my personal opinion not quite as good as the varieties here that are listed. But this could be very much a matter of individual preference. (It has, what I would call, a "standard type of mandarin flavor", which is not the same as Satsuma or these other varieties I have listed)
I've tasted both Lee and Nova, and can tell you Lee x Nova is an improvement over its parents.

I have tasted Dekopon, and they are good to snack on, very sweet, but I personally find their flavor to be too "rich", and strangely it doesn't feel like it digests as well for me. I perceive a very subtle mango flavor in Dekopon as well. This is probably very much a matter of individual personal preference.
Probably much better than most mandarin varieties, but I personally would not put it on my favorite list. The flavor is somewhere between a standard mandarin and an orange.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:49:23 PM by SoCal2warm »

Yurii

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2021, 01:11:32 PM »
My favorite varieties of oranges: Tarocco (TDV, Ippolito, Rosso). They have a soft, tender flesh and low acidity.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2021, 12:20:28 AM »
So at Thanksgiving we did a taste testing with 4 varieties and the hands down winner was the Okitsu followed by the Owari then kishu and last was the miyagawa. This was the first season for both the okitsu and miyagawa fruiting. So thats a great sign for the Okitsu as it was the clear winner for everyone who tried it which was 12 people.

New Years I will be tasting an early picked Dekopon, Early picked Tango, Tahoe Gold, Cara Cara and Honey,

Then in Spring it will be all the golds- tahoe, shasta and nugget (no fruit this year on yosemite - will fruit this spring) and tango.

Next season I will be adding to the taste testing Yosemite, Moro, Xie Shan, Lee x Nova,

How were your taste testing Yosemite, Moro, Xie Shan, Lee x Nova?

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2021, 12:20:54 AM »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »

I tried the tango and gold nuggets this week and they still need more time still to acidic for my tastes. The Tahoe and Shasta were very good and I think the shasta's will be better next month along with the tango and GN's. Still waiting until March to try my dekopon.