Author Topic: growing Temple tangor  (Read 842 times)

Eric Kimball

• USA/Ca/Ventura
    • View Profile
growing Temple tangor
« on: March 29, 2021, 06:22:36 PM »
Hi, is anyone having any luck growing the Temple Tangor? I bought some scions from the ccpp and grafted them to a sour orange seedling. It's doing great, I just dont see a lot of info online about this variety. Any pictures are also greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: growing Temple tangor
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 06:48:16 PM »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:53:00 PM »
I have not grown a tree myself, but I have eaten plenty of them, and they are great! They were really popular here in Florida for many years, and there was even a seedless budsport at one time (which was sadly lost before it was widely disrributed). Not sure how they do in California, though. The original tree was a chance seedling in a grove at Winter Park, FL.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://citrusindustry.net/2020/05/27/pieces-of-the-past-protecting-a-treasured-tree/&ved=2ahUKEwisicGf8dbvAhUlpFkKHQ6fAUYQFjACegQIDxAC&usg=AOvVaw2zay6G4XU_4g4GddOc6qzX&cshid=1617068834899

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 09:57:32 PM »
I have 2 Temple tangor trees for many years. They stay kind of small, about 8 feet tall max, and produce lots of very delicious fruits. Definitely one of my favorite citrus. You have to peel them with a knife, and very juicy inside. Bit of rough bumpy skin.
Oscar

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:00:40 PM »
I have one sapling, just getting established. It’s sprawling out more than my satsumas lol. Only had one dud fruit and even that was good, but in full bloom now

Eric Kimball

• USA/Ca/Ventura
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 10:50:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Very happy to hear the flavor is good. I was aware of the high heat requirements but it's been plenty hot here in California the last few summers. @fruitlovers Any Idea what rootstock yours are on? I wonder if that's why they stay small. 

Eric Kimball

• USA/Ca/Ventura
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 12:26:40 AM »
Thanks for the link Galatians522. Good read

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 02:36:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Very happy to hear the flavor is good. I was aware of the high heat requirements but it's been plenty hot here in California the last few summers. @fruitlovers Any Idea what rootstock yours are on? I wonder if that's why they stay small.
I didn't graft them so not sure, but would guess flying dragon (trifoliata), which would explain small size of trees.
Oscar

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 07:04:38 PM »
I can verify that they grow slower than Minneola. There is a 10 acre grove in Sebring that was planted about 10-15 years ago with alternating rows of Temple and Minneola. The Temples are about 2/3 the size of the Minneolas. I assume they were all in the same rootstock.