Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Why exactly can't avocado fruit in the central Europe?

(1/8) > >>

Vlk:
Hi there, I've heard many times that it's impossible to make avocado fruit in central Europe - the Czech Republic to be precise - (potted or in a greenhouse) and that it has something to do with pollination or duration of the sunlight or something along these lines. But nevertheless, I keep finding a lot of articles on how to make avocados fruit in my native language. And I just keep wondering why exactly is it impossible to make avocado bear fruit here, but you can for instance grow a variety of other exotic fruit trees that bear fruit without any problems (such as mangoes, sapote, papaya, etc.)? Is this true then? And if so, what exactly makes it impossible?

msk0072:
My huble opinion : during flowering there must be a combination of different factors like temperature, humidity and present of insects for pollination

barath:
In a greenhouse anything is possible.  Outdoors you'd have to create a really good microclimate.  There's the London avocado tree that appears to be in a good microclimate (surrounded by buildings in a courtyard) so it probably doesn't get too cold in the winter.  If you can create a good microclimate you might be able to do it -- sunlight isn't the issue for you, but winter cold weather might be.

spaugh:
I doubt you can grow papaya and mangos "without any problems" but can't grow avocado.  That really doesn't make sense to be honest.  Both of those are more difficult to grow than avocado in a non tropical location. 

Tommyng:
Impossible? To hear that word should compel you prove otherwise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version