Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Sweet chestnut question

(1/2) > >>

Plantinyum:
Hi, I am wondering if this plant is grafted... I bought it this spring. Do they flower at such an young age from seeds? I am thinking it may be grafted since its flowering so small.
Another question is, are they self fertile ?? At the last photo, I think this is the graft line ???Thanks for any insight on my questions !!

Vinci:
Hi,
Here in France, in my region, there are plenty of chestnut ( it's always a pleasure to gather them in autumn.. )and I can say that I never saw such a young tree bears flowers, so I think it has been grafted, you have a grafted chestnut:)

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Vinci on August 23, 2021, 02:44:33 AM ---Hi,
Here in France, in my region, there are plenty of chestnut ( it's always a pleasure to gather them in autumn.. )and I can say that I never saw such a young tree bears flowers, so I think it has been grafted, you have a grafted chestnut:)

--- End quote ---
thanks for the feedback !! I actually contacted the seller and he confirmed that its grafted !! It was a nice surprise to see it flower ,even thought with male flowers only.

vnomonee:
one of my 3 plants from grocery store chestnuts flowered at 2 years

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: vnomonee on August 25, 2021, 01:26:04 AM ---one of my 3 plants from grocery store chestnuts flowered at 2 years

--- End quote ---

Nice ,i have been thinking of starting some from seeds from the grosery ,what method did u use to germinate them and at what time of the year?? They are present at the stores is autumn, is this is a good time to be germinating and caring for theese over winter, indoors??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version