Author Topic: Looking for Pili nut!  (Read 3318 times)

mauinewearth

• USA, HI, Ulupalakua, Zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Maui New Earth
Looking for Pili nut!
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
I'm trying very hard to get seeds to grow a pili nut tree!

Canarium ovatum

Please PM if you have some to sell or know of a source.

Thank you!!  ;D

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Pili nut!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:12 AM »

Canarium ovatum

Thank you!!  ;D

http://www.guaycuyacu.net/seed_sell.html

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »
I'm not trying to advertise this, but the USDA in Hilo has the tree. I requested seed from them and they granted my request this past Summer ... but it's good to write your intentions in formal email to the director. They may give you seeds. :)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
Hi,

I tried to grow Pili nuts in Florida a few years ago. They all died for some odd reason, after reaching about 1 ft

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

Canarium ovatum

Thank you!!  ;D

Practically every experimental station in Hawaii has them. The one in Hilo has a large plot of them.
Oscar

Organic_Pili_Nuts

• We have world class nuts
    • Tablas, Romblon, Philippines
    • View Profile
    • Bech's Organic Pili Nut Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:59:12 PM »
Hello, if you would like more information regarding Pili Nuts please get in touch with us, we have some 300,000+ trees planted in the Romblon Province of the Philippines. We also have some farming investments available with a great ROI. Learn more about the Pili Nuts @ www.OrganicPiliNuts.com or email us. info@organicpilinuts.com

Bech's Organic Pili Nut Farm
San Andres, Agpudlos, Tablas, Romblon
Info@organicpilinuts.com
www.organicpilinuts.com

Eatnfat Pili

• Banuyo, Pilar Sorsogon Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 11:50:30 PM »
Hello, We are EAT'N FAT PILI NUT TRADING, Wholesaler of Pili Nut from Sorsogon Philippines.  We are one of exporter company of Pili Nuts, our products are Fresh Pili Nuts, Raw Pili, Oil Pili,Powder Pili, Tea Pili and Candied Pili. We process the order fast, to place your order kindly send your inquiry to our email: info.eatandfat@gmail.com to send you a quotation or you can also call us +639157063616 via WhatsApp or Viber.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
You probably want to make sure to plant a few trees.  Pili nut is dioecious (male & female on separate plants).  (I hate to bring this up, since someone always seems to know of a tree somewhere that is self-fruiting.  However, I would hate to plant one tree and find it never fruits so I wanted to bring this to your attention.)

John Mood had been a big proponent of pili nut and probably was responsible for a lot of interest in it here.  However, a few years back, HTFG has a guest speaker in from Africa (Paul Noren) and we got a private tour of the Hilo USDA facility.  We tried C. harveyi and we both felt it was at least as good, probably better, than pili and was very heavy bearing.  If you request pili nut seed from them, maybe you should also request the harveyi as well (and, yes, harveyi is also dioecious).

John

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
Hi,
I tried to grow Pili nuts in Florida a few years ago. They all died for some odd reason, after reaching about 1 ft
Tomas
Pili nut has a reputation that it can only germinate under (or near) the mother tree, those who collect from the wild say it cannot be domesticated. I suppose it needs the same type of soil, and tropical conditions to grow. Maybe there was a winter difficult for your plants, did they stay without water or without shade in summer or did they have too much water during winter? This is all i can think of. Still if you have a place where a tropical papaya can be grown, it is worth trying three times. All of it is eatable and fragrant (you might have eaten your seedlings).