Author Topic: Propagate rootsock cuts  (Read 1973 times)

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
Propagate rootsock cuts
« on: April 27, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »
Hi,

i m curious , wil it be the same if you propagate cuts from rootstock?   if so , how do you do it?

thank you,
tony

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Propagate rootsock cuts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
Very much so!

When I grafted my C35 rootstock earlier this year, I took the top sections and stuck them in a propagation box (bought at HD used the Tomato pellet (large) jiffy peat box) with a heating mat beneath.

I did not use rooting hormone, and something like 92% rooted and are growing well.

Basically, make sure the cutting is short enough to fit under the lid when stuck in a pellet. Make sure the leaves are removed for the portion of the stem that is in the pellet. Trim the tips of the remaining leaves if they are large in order to prevent too much transpiration. Ensure the pellets are moist, but not in standing water.

Not much to it, check the pellet weekly, and when roots are observed, put them in pots in the shade.

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 12:31:42 AM »
Normally I plug it off as soon as I see it.  Very cool.  I  can make something for me and my wife.  Thank you Oolie

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:09:23 AM »
Very much so!

When I grafted my C35 rootstock earlier this year, I took the top sections and stuck them in a propagation box (bought at HD used the Tomato pellet (large) jiffy peat box) with a heating mat beneath.

I did not use rooting hormone, and something like 92% rooted and are growing well.

Basically, make sure the cutting is short enough to fit under the lid when stuck in a pellet. Make sure the leaves are removed for the portion of the stem that is in the pellet. Trim the tips of the remaining leaves if they are large in order to prevent too much transpiration. Ensure the pellets are moist, but not in standing water.

Not much to it, check the pellet weekly, and when roots are observed, put them in pots in the shade.

What is C-35, a sour orange or citrange?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 03:51:23 AM »
Very much so!

What is C-35, a sour orange or citrange?
It's a citrange, I am using it for mandarins mostly. They graft several kinds of mandarin to it.

http://chislettfarms.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/C-35+citrange+sml.pdf

M Nails

• Chico, CA 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
Hi,

i m curious , wil it be the same if you propagate cuts from rootstock?   if so , how do you do it?

thank you,
tony

In my experience, citrus cuttings never develop a tap root like growing from seed does, but instead make lateral roots. The two make nearly opposite shapes.  Cuttings will live, but not have the same stability, which is perhaps only important if you are growing outdoors in ground.  I would guess there are differences in drought tolerance too, but I don't know.  I have had mature trees blow over that I believe were grown on rootstock cuttings.

dpereira

• Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
Hi,

thank you,
tony

In my experience, citrus cuttings never develop a tap root like growing from seed does, but instead make lateral roots. The two make nearly opposite shapes.  Cuttings will live, but not have the same stability, which is perhaps only important if you are growing outdoors in ground.  I would guess there are differences in drought tolerance too, but I don't know.  I have had mature trees blow over that I believe were grown on rootstock cuttings.

You are right. There is research done on this, there is no tap root development.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:10:29 PM by Millet »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 11:49:34 PM »
Okay so you wouldn’t trust planting a sapling from Lowe’s or Home Depot in the ground? Because as far as I know the rootstocks they use are asexually propagated.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »
Many millions of rooted (asexually propagated) citrus tees are planted in the ground.  If you don't live in a hurricane location, the tree should live a long and fruitful life.