Author Topic: Mango that fruits in December in merritt Island. ( NOT CHOC ANON.)  (Read 1528 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
So after a few seasons to make sure it wasn't just a fluke im excited to report that I have stumbled upon a veriety that produces delicious mangos in winter. It has done so for several seasons in a row, not a motherload of them but enough to warrant a real evaluation and a determination of whether it is a new or forgotten veriety.

The tree is likely between 30 and 40 years old, and 30 pluss feet tall. planted in the yard of a home built in the early 60's in merritt island, the current owner who has lived at the property for 8 years and was not passed on any info on the tree.

The tree produces a bountiful summer crop without being sprayed, some anthrcnose susceptibility but the skin seems to keep it out of the flesh. The summer crop is certainly more flavorful but the winter crop is still fantastic. I would put it in the classic sweet profile with fiber comparable to certain commercial veriety but not objectionable. 

I will continue to update with an in depth evaluation as the season unfolds. Unfortunately there are no more fruit on the tree this winter, but I will post pictures and keep track of its progress.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Re: Mango that fruits in December in merritt Island. ( NOT CHOC ANON.)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 03:40:50 PM »
I didn’t know any mangoes did two crops. Cool.
Shane

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
Possibly Van Dyke, by the looks, and mention of fiber.  But I have never seen Winter production on Van Dyke.
Har

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
Lots of mangoes produce staggered crops, but I agree, haven't found one that has 2 distinctly different fruiting periods as the OP reports. Especially winter fruits.

Here come the scion requests, LOL!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 06:46:40 PM »
This is the second mango this year that I’ve heard about in Brevard county having an off-season bearing habit.

The first was from an Indian family near Melbourne that has a seedling that has repeatedly borne off-season fruit. They named it ‘Jaya’ and we topworked part of a stump into it in Weat Palm this Fall.

I’d be interested in trialing this one too.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 08:30:05 PM »
Plant them seeds.  Can one tell if seed is poly by looking at it?

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 08:41:50 PM »
Interesting, Har has a solid point: it looks like all
Of the Van Dykes I’ve ever tasted, except that was always in June, maybe a seedling of Van Dyke? Cool
Thread thanks for sharing.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 09:21:54 PM »
Post image is garbage and won’t let me expand the pics but from what I’m able to see, the fruit in the photos is more enlongated/oblong than most Van Dyke fruit.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 09:30:13 PM »
Alex, Of all experienced growers On the forum, I believe you might know best: any guesses?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 09:31:58 PM »
mangomongo, care for seeds.  i hope to see pics of it sprouted in 4 weeks.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 11:25:36 PM »
Very happy to hear about more off season mango fruiting. The more varieties we can find that produce off season fruit and the more info that gets shared about them, the better.
 I Have heard Choc anon, Mun Khun Si, Thai everbearing, and NDM can have off season fruit. Also Beverly but I don't know if that was just a one time thing.
I have twice had Maha Chanok produce off season fruit in Cape Coral. Have a few ripe now ready to eat. Ripe fruit all picked the last few weeks but one half developed fruit still on tree that has a few months to go.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 10:06:51 PM »

Don't know if you can see them but it has about 6 mangos still hanging on it.  It looks like a seedling to me. 1
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:09:07 PM by mangomongo »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 11:51:59 AM »
Are the fruits of all parts of the tree the same?

Sometimes, two or three seedlings, starting within a couple of inches of each other, will fuse their trunks together.  One of the pictures of the trunk looks possibly like that, and the canopy looks like two different trees.
Har

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 03:35:45 PM »
So after a few seasons to make sure it wasn't just a fluke im excited to report that I have stumbled upon a veriety that produces delicious mangos in winter. It has done so for several seasons in a row, not a motherload of them but enough to warrant a real evaluation and a determination of whether it is a new or forgotten veriety.

The tree is likely between 30 and 40 years old, and 30 pluss feet tall. planted in the yard of a home built in the early 60's in merritt island, the current owner who has lived at the property for 8 years and was not passed on any info on the tree.

The tree produces a bountiful summer crop without being sprayed, some anthrcnose susceptibility but the skin seems to keep it out of the flesh. The summer crop is certainly more flavorful but the winter crop is still fantastic. I would put it in the classic sweet profile with fiber comparable to certain commercial veriety but not objectionable. 

I will continue to update with an in depth evaluation as the season unfolds. Unfortunately there are no more fruit on the tree this winter, but I will post pictures and keep track of its progress.

In Florida, there are no true year round mangos. The ones we've are of inferior quality, size and flavor profile. The hype about the miracle mango(Chocanon) disappointed me. Fruit size is small, scarce production, flavor profile is not at all that great compared to the ones I've tasted in Thailand.
I grafted a limb of my 15 year old Okrung with catimon(Katimon) variety 2 years ago. This is a cultivar is truly year round (fruits 3 times a year) and also a premium quality mango in Philippines and Thailand. 
I'm hoping, against my hope that it would bloom this year.Anticipating for that real moment when I would find that this cultivar performs the same, where it is obtained from, in Florida.

millionaire-through-cultivation-year-long-mango-1657543

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW2Rwx31cW6YxP0pJmSzPc-QthN1gM6e_Wuw&usqp=CAU

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvhtFLDi4FXNd4N9AuTUmzkiy_TtG7VmL89RVFthdrmvS3jr_in5UyjJ1GlqDx0d24cti72JzrKx-SSNg-JIsKlpLnr3rUh63AHg&usqp=CAU&ec=45750088

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk