Author Topic: Birds  (Read 1266 times)

voyager

• Pahoa, HI - USDA 12a/12b
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Photo Gallery - Alaska - Hawai'i & Elsewhere
Birds
« on: January 31, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »
I've definitely had problems with birds eating young developing fruit from out trees.
They have definitely eaten young Longan and Lime from the trees.
The have also eaten flower buds from various orchids in trees around the yard.

I had not considered that they might be attacking our avocados.
Our Sharwil has begun to bloom, reminding me that the avo trees do seem to loose a fair number of small newly set fruit.
The other two avo trees will also soon be blooming.

I had assumed it was just young trees aborting excess fruit.
But now, I'm thinking it might be birds eating the young avo fruit.

I have bought netting to proterct the Longan.
I'm thinking of netting the Sharwil to see if the small fruit loss stops.
I'm also thinking of putting a bomb on out neighbor's bird feeder.
What is the relationship between birds and avos?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:02:57 PM by voyager »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Birds
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 04:56:32 PM »
While the spectacled flying foxes cause me grief at night of all the birds visiting fruit trees in my home town and my place in particular, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are the most damaging. While Rainbow Lorikkets can can a bit out of each sweet fruit the cockatoos being a seed eater can wipe out whole crops. With citrus they will eat a seed and rip apart the whole fruit to get it. With abius they just pull the fruit off the tree and take a bite or two.They destroy green avos,passionfruit and in fact most fruit including when they are small and green. It all depends on the kind of bird we are talking about.

voyager

• Pahoa, HI - USDA 12a/12b
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Photo Gallery - Alaska - Hawai'i & Elsewhere
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 01:18:20 AM »
We've got mostly songbirds with a few larger invasives like cardinals and morning doves.
luckily no parrots or relatives.

I guess I will have to protect the avos, probably the tangerines and oranges too.
I'll need to get more netting for more trees.
We could have a lot more fruit for us if I did.
Thanks,

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »
morning doves do not eat fruit,  are you that this is not just excess young fruit being aborted by the tree?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
You could get a game camera and check it out.  Ive seen crows going for mature avocados but in general it seems like the birds here, which there are many, aren't interested in avocados. 
Brad Spaugh

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »
Birds are worse than squirrels to me. They consistently just peck my loquats and apples, just once. Nothing messes with my citrus though which consist of mostly limes lemons and kumquats. Racoons on the other hand have prevented me from ever getting a pineapple despite my ever growing number of plants.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
Birds are worse than squirrels to me. They consistently just peck my loquats and apples, just once. Nothing messes with my citrus though which consist of mostly limes lemons and kumquats. Racoons on the other hand have prevented me from ever getting a pineapple despite my ever growing number of plants.
At least a Mockingbird will give you a sweet song for his meal. This jail bird has a sour sad song.
The bait robber has a vice for peanuts. I had to take a trip to Orlando so I turned this Yardbird loose on West Colonial Drive. I could not think of a more severe punishment :)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:13:35 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »
Multi-size anti-bird netting, bird nets work for me from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=BIRD+NET&_sacat=0

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »
At least a Mockingbird will give you a sweet song for his meal. This jail bird has a sour sad song.
The bait robber has a vice for peanuts. I had to take a trip to Orlando so I turned this Yardbird loose on West Colonial Drive. I could not think of a more severe punishment :)

You realize, of course, that the bird probably flew back to your place (faster than you drove).   ;)

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
I have found that the solution to birds eating fruit is to grow more fruit than the birds can eat. For instance, I have tons of blackberry plants, which the birds love. But, I have so many blackberries each year that the birds cannot deprive me of a good crop. The same with my tomatoes.

But, I am also an avid birdwatcher, so I do not see the many, many birds in my yard as pests. I put out many birdfeeders full of seed, suet cakes, and hummingbird feeders (during the summer). There are many plants in my yard grown just to produce seed and berries for the birds. There is a great deal for them to eat besides my fruiting plants, which reduces my crop loss.

Squirrels, chipmunks, and raccoons. Well, I do not feel the same way about them, and they are dealt with much differently...

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 06:07:35 AM »

You realize, of course, that the bird probably flew back to your place (faster than you drove).   ;)
You are probably right Sir. In hindsight I guess I should have turned him loose inside the Magic Mall in crime I mean Pine Hills
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk