Author Topic: Favorite Mangos  (Read 5976 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Favorite Mangos
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
The Broward Rare Fruit & Vegetable Council has a 3 acre property, which grows various rare fruit trees.  They were very kind and provided us a tour of their property.  One of our hosts, Eric, was the gardener/grounds keeper for William Whitman's house, while Mr. Whitman was alive.  Eric was our primary guide, pointing out the various trees as we toured the property.  He seemed very knowledgeable.  Eric said he has tasted 300+ varieties of mangos.  During the tour, he pointed out his favorite mangos, which included Mahachanok, Neelam, and Alampur Baneshar.  Eric was a pretty cool guy as were our other hosts & hostesses.  Thought I would share the mango varieties with the group.  With permission, I collected budwood of the Neelam and Alampur Baneshar.  I already have a Mahachanok, so I didn't get any maha budwood.  I noticed Pine Island rated the Alampur Baneshare rather low.  http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/alampur-baneshan-mango.shtml  Any idea why?  Did they pick it when it wasn't ripe?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Mangos
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
The Broward Rare Fruit & Vegetable Council has a 3 acre property, which grows various rare fruit trees.  They were very kind and provided us a tour of their property.  One of our hosts, Eric, was the gardener/grounds keeper for William Whitman's house, while Mr. Whitman was alive.  Eric was our primary guide, pointing out the various trees as we toured the property.  He seemed very knowledgeable.  Eric said he has tasted 300+ varieties of mangos.  During the tour, he pointed out his favorite mangos, which included Mahachanok, Neelam, and Alampur Baneshar.  Eric was a pretty cool guy as were our other hosts & hostesses.  Thought I would share the mango varieties with the group.  With permission, I collected budwood of the Neelam and Alampur Baneshar.  I already have a Mahachanok, so I didn't get any maha budwood.  I noticed Pine Island rated the Alampur Baneshare rather lowhttp://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/alampur-baneshan-mango.shtml  Any idea why?  Did they pick it when it wasn't ripe?
Are you sure you read that right? It has one of the higher ratings. Quote "Alampur Baneshan is considered one of the finest dessert mangos of Northern India."

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »
The Broward Rare Fruit & Vegetable Council has a 3 acre property, which grows various rare fruit trees.  They were very kind and provided us a tour of their property.  One of our hosts, Eric, was the gardener/grounds keeper for William Whitman's house, while Mr. Whitman was alive.  Eric was our primary guide, pointing out the various trees as we toured the property.  He seemed very knowledgeable.  Eric said he has tasted 300+ varieties of mangos.  During the tour, he pointed out his favorite mangos, which included Mahachanok, Neelam, and Alampur Baneshar.  Eric was a pretty cool guy as were our other hosts & hostesses.  Thought I would share the mango varieties with the group.  With permission, I collected budwood of the Neelam and Alampur Baneshar.  I already have a Mahachanok, so I didn't get any maha budwood.  I noticed Pine Island rated the Alampur Baneshare rather lowhttp://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/alampur-baneshan-mango.shtml  Any idea why?  Did they pick it when it wasn't ripe?
Are you sure you read that right? It has one of the higher ratings. Quote "Alampur Baneshan is considered one of the finest dessert mangos of Northern India."

It rates the flavor as a "4".  They rate many others as a "5" for flavor.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:23:24 PM »
The Broward Rare Fruit & Vegetable Council has a 3 acre property, which grows various rare fruit trees.  They were very kind and provided us a tour of their property.  One of our hosts, Eric, was the gardener/grounds keeper for William Whitman's house, while Mr. Whitman was alive.  Eric was our primary guide, pointing out the various trees as we toured the property.  He seemed very knowledgeable.  Eric said he has tasted 300+ varieties of mangos.  During the tour, he pointed out his favorite mangos, which included Mahachanok, Neelam, and Alampur Baneshar.  Eric was a pretty cool guy as were our other hosts & hostesses.  Thought I would share the mango varieties with the group.  With permission, I collected budwood of the Neelam and Alampur Baneshar.  I already have a Mahachanok, so I didn't get any maha budwood.  I noticed Pine Island rated the Alampur Baneshare rather low.  http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/alampur-baneshan-mango.shtml  Any idea why?  Did they pick it when it wasn't ripe?

Was that Eric Bronson?
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »
Was that Eric Bronson?

Don't know his last name.
www.FLMangos.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:09:11 AM »
At one of the local experimental stations Alampur Baneshan is well liked , I have not had the chance to try one,  what I was told, was it is a very delicious mango, but has a couple draw backs,  he told me that fruit flies are drawn to it like a magnet, and the other, being its pale fruit coloring, which is almost white even when ripe.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
The Eric to which Mark is referriing is Eric LeBrum.  He was the plant procurer for Broward RFVC for years......stepped away for a while and is back now. Eric probably knows the 208 BRFVC property better than anyone else, having been in charge of planting much of it out. Very knowledgeable guy and a decent person as well.

Alanpur Baneshsan is a very flavorful mango.  The only problem is, the flavor it has isn't a flavor that everyone likes.  It is very strong flavored and has a considerable resinous twang. The flesh does remain very pale yellow, almost white in appearance even when ripe.  The exteriror doesn't color up either.  On top of that, it tends to have major issues here at my property with splitting on the tree just before being ready for harvest.  Well, its not splitting in the manor that Nam Doc splits.  It is more of a cracking with multiple small cracks forming, as oppposed to one giant crack/split that Nam Doc has.  In either case the fruit is ruined.  So for South Florida, in mucky wet soil, this is another Indian selection that you just won't get to enjoy much fruit from.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
To add to what Harry said, while it may have problems on his property (and others as well), it also may do well on other's as well as in other locales around the world.

Also, too many of you feel PI's viewers are gospel.  Keep in mind they are the "ratings" and opinions of one person (or at most the nursery as a conglomerate) and who knows how this is determines.  Tastes are extremely subjective no matter who you ask AND for varying reasons.  I, for one, may look at their viewer for some  things but take it for a truckload of grains of salt as I have my own opinions of PI for my own reasons.

Another good site for write-ups of mangoes is Fairchilds:  http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/mangotrees.html
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »
To add to what Harry said, while it may have problems on his property (and others as well), it also may do well on other's as well as in other locales around the world.

Also, too many of you feel PI's viewers are gospel.  Keep in mind they are the "ratings" and opinions of one person (or at most the nursery as a conglomerate) and who knows how this is determines.  Tastes are extremely subjective no matter who you ask AND for varying reasons.  I, for one, may look at their viewer for some  things but take it for a truckload of grains of salt as I have my own opinions of PI for my own reasons.

Another good site for write-ups of mangoes is Fairchilds:  http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/mangotrees.html

Their website seems to be down since at least yesterday.
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:33 AM »
www.FLMangos.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »

Their website seems to be down since at least yesterday.
Strange.  It worked for me this morning when I posted it and works for me right now...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 12:24:30 AM »
This is another mango variety viewer that I like:

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/fruit/varieties_mango.htm
Just so you know, there are incorrect images on some of TT's page you posted as well as their comments/descriptions were taken from mostly Fairchild's website and possibly PI's.
- Rob