Author Topic: Mangos vs Cherimoyas  (Read 5368 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Mangos vs Cherimoyas
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »
We had the opportunity to try some top tier mangos(sunrise, LZ, T-1, Peggy, Malika Enerald Chocannon among others) and right after our friend Peter, Park Hill Orchard, brought us some early cherimoyas. I have to admit I didn't expect much from the cherimoyas but Honeyhart, El Bumpo, Sabor, Pierce and Fino stole the show. On this day cherimoyas reign over mangos 😀

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:20:01 PM by JF »

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
Re: Mangos vs Cherimoyas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
Just a curiuosity....does Mango maturation coincide with Annona c. maturation in south Florida?? 
As I know in south Italy normally Mangos ripes in September and Annona at least two-three month later...

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
Just a curiuosity....does Mango maturation coincide with Annona c. maturation in south Florida?? 
As I know in south Italy normally Mangos ripes in September and Annona at least two-three month later...

I am in Socal I have no idea what anonna ripens at the same time as mangos in South Florida. As Rob pointed out in one thread you have an obsession with comparing South Florida and Southern California with South Italia. Stay in your continent for a more accurate comparison and leave Miami and Los Angeles alone.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »
Awesome spread JF! The table looks great as usual. Many of my Cherimoyas are ripening early this year but I noticed the quality was excellent. The Cherimoyas from my yard are sweet as normal but they seem to have a bit more acidity/complexity this year which I really like. Do you have a top Cherimoya/Mango from this tasting?

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
Awesome spread JF! The table looks great as usual. Many of my Cherimoyas are ripening early this year but I noticed the quality was excellent. The Cherimoyas from my yard are sweet as normal but they seem to have a bit more acidity/complexity this year which I really like. Do you have a top Cherimoya/Mango from this tasting?

Simon

Thanks Simon. the consensus were the following for the top 3:

Mangos

T-1
Emerald
Dot

Cherimoyas

Fino
Honeyheart
Pierce

T-1 surprise everyone comparable to Sweet Tart in quality with a brix of 23( I took it brix measurements and I sucked doing it; not as good as you and Thera) we only tested several. Cherimoyas were off but the Honeyhart and Fino were exceptional would highly recommend these as an early variety here in Socal.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the cherimoya ranking. I'm eating honeyhart and Pierce right now too.
My friend has a Pierce that produces large fruits. This year the fruits are dry and seed membrane bitter. I think the tree wasn't watered consistently.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
Forgot to add this mango the real Amrapali
Brix 27  this is one of the sweetest I've had right there with White Chaunsa & Gary but much more complex. Reminds me of the floral taste of seacrest with a slight piney finish. We will propagate this variety next year as well as Jumbo Amrapali.
Amrapali is from the same hybrid breeding project Malika came from in India but unlike Malika you don't need to play the guessing  game when to harvest it. Top 10 mango

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »
Great fruit display! For me it's very hard to choose between mango and chirimoya..

This year I tasted Amrapali for the first time. The taste was excellent! In taste and texture was like the Alphonso mangos from India that I have enjoyed in the past. :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 06:00:40 PM »
Great fruit display! For me it's very hard to choose between mango and chirimoya..

This year I tasted Amrapali for the first time. The taste was excellent! In taste and texture was like the Alphonso mangos from India that I have enjoyed in the past. :)

Hola Felipe

Unfortunately Alfonso's don't do very well in the U.S. I only had a few decent ones. Amrapali grown in SoCal is much better than Alfonso. Do you have this variety in tenerife? According to sources in India Amrapali is a few years away from toppling Alfonso as the King of mangos.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:31:58 PM by JF »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
If you have mangos in the summer and cherimoyas in the fall/winter, life is sweet and you are truly blessed!
John

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »
JF, Alphoso does perform ok over here, but the fruit is nothing special, unlike the fruit from India I have tasted.

Amrapali was introduced in Canary Islands a few years ago buy the research station guys. I think the scions came from an institute in India. This is what my plant looks like:

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 11:10:58 PM »
JF, Alphoso does perform ok over here, but the fruit is nothing special, unlike the fruit from India I have tasted.

Amrapali was introduced in Canary Islands a few years ago buy the research station guys. I think the scions came from an institute in India. This is what my plant looks like:

Felipe, Amrapali and Jumbo Amrapali are slow growers here but the fruit is much better than Malika and Alfonso. Alfonso has major internal breakdown and Malika is difucult to time.
here are pix of Amrapali & Jumbo Amrapali grafted next to each other and Alfonso  sponge internal breakdown some turn black.

Here is a perfectly looking Alfonso

here it is cut open taste is bland

johnb51

we have mangos late summer to late fall, Cherimoya Fall and Winter.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:13:53 PM by JF »

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »
So far I would not consider Amrapali and Mallika slow grower. Maybe you have an issue with you Socal rootstock.
While Gomera rootstock works fine for most cultivars, I have noticed problems with Ataulfo. My Ataulfo produced fruit, but grows very slow, lacks on vigor, and has an elephant foot. Other Ataulfos in CI face the same problems. How does Ataulfo perfom in Socal? Here is a picture:

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »
Have mercy JF!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 10:42:09 PM »
So far I would not consider Amrapali and Mallika slow grower. Maybe you have an issue with you Socal rootstock.
While Gomera rootstock works fine for most cultivars, I have noticed problems with Ataulfo. My Ataulfo produced fruit, but grows very slow, lacks on vigor, and has an elephant foot. Other Ataulfos in CI face the same problems. How does Ataulfo perfom in Socal? Here is a picture:

Felipe Ataulfo I've grown here are great. It's vigorous and prolific my prefer rootstock. Malika is slow and leggy on turpentine. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:08:35 AM by JF »

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 04:42:33 PM »

I am in Socal I have no idea what anonna ripens at the same time as mangos in South Florida. As Rob pointed out in one thread you have an obsession with comparing South Florida and Southern California with South Italia. Stay in your continent for a more accurate comparison and leave Miami and Los Angeles alone.

Ok, I was confused, I thought you lived  in Miami area...for this I asked abouth Annona c. e Mango maturations in South Florida !!

I would like to do comparison with people that grow tropical fruits in my continent, but they're not as many as you are.
California climate is considered "Mediterranean climate" and so some places could not be so different from "our" mediterranean climate....:)
Bye bye