Author Topic: asian grocery store fruit haul  (Read 3252 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
asian grocery store fruit haul
« on: August 04, 2020, 09:25:39 PM »
I found fresh durian and purple mangosteen at a nearby asian grocery store today, along with sugar apple, jackfruit, muscadine grapes, and some asian cherry-plums?

Never had durian before, I thought I would have to travel to get a chance.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: asian grocery store fruit haul
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:41:17 AM »
Wow, that’s nice! Are you sure the durian is fresh? Enjoy!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:57:07 AM »
I found fresh durian and purple mangosteen at a nearby asian grocery store today, along with sugar apple, jackfruit, muscadine grapes, and some asian cherry-plums?

Never had durian before, I thought I would have to travel to get a chance.
Let us know how you like the durian.  Give us a full review.
John

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:18:05 AM »
Yes it was labelled fresh durian, was stored in an insulated shipping box that looks appropriate for shipping fresh fruit overseas, and was very expensive.  The same store also sold frozen durians that were much smaller and cheaper.  I guess it is possible they thawed and faked it but I would expect familiar buyers would be able to tell. 

I looked online at the ripeness checks.  It doesnt have a crack in it, but it does make some light sound if you shake it.  Skin between spikes is firm but gives slightly if you push hard.  It smells some but not overpowering.  When I ordered some durian seeds months ago they smelled very strong.  The stem stub is somewhat soft and if I scrape it it is more brown than green, though I wonder if a fresh stem is even possible when shipped so far.  I am going to cut it open and eat today.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:31:36 AM »
I would eat those mangosteen asap before they go south.

Depending on the variety and how long ago it was picked (assuming its truly fresh), that durian may be no better, possibly worse, than a quality frozen durian.

Those are some tiny sugar apples and they dont look too fresh.  At that size, they may just be a pile of seeds inside.

Dont mean to be a Debbie Downer, just saying what is facts..
- Rob

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:35:11 AM »
A few days ago, I was at the local asian market and they had mangosteen, passionfruit, sugar apple, atemoya, yellow dragonfruit, and rambutan. Sadly they were too expensive/old

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »
Pinch of salt, I find most stuff in the grocery store to be inferior varieties bred for shipping over the elite cultivars distributed on these boards and in local clubs. It's not to say they aren't worth trying, but if they aren't to your liking, I'd still try to obtain samples from local (to subtropical regions) growers in the future.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »
Definitely let us know on the durian.

I actually struck gold on a business trip to San Antonio once, finding fresh durian at a market. It was really good and, yes, very expensive.

Bangkok Market in Nashville also occasionally imports fresh durian and stores them in styrofoam to stifle the aroma. The one time i was there when they had them, i was concerned they were overripe (I am no expert but just a gut feeling).

I've found some great frozen seedless arils at another market, $14 for a pound, and will probably stick to that until further notice.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 01:17:20 PM »
I assume this was picked underripe as the flesh is whiter than the orange/yellow I usually see in pictures, and the smell isn't overpowering.  I don't have any experience with them, though.  The outside of the arils was slightly firm, and the inside was very soft.

I think Durian is not for me.  The texture and smell is just repulsive to me, and the flavor was only okay.  Left a raw onion taste in my mouth afterwards.  I would try a frozen one to compare, and a real fresh one if I ever travel to a place where they are native, but I don't think this is going to grow on me. 

The mangosteens were fantastic, at least.  Sugar apples are too hard right now, they are very small too so I don't really have high hopes but I never got to try them before and didn't want to pass up an opportunity.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
Do the durian seeds look fresh? Would love to grow one.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
I assume this was picked underripe as the flesh is whiter than the orange/yellow I usually see in pictures, and the smell isn't overpowering.  I don't have any experience with them, though.  The outside of the arils was slightly firm, and the inside was very soft.

I think Durian is not for me.  The texture and smell is just repulsive to me, and the flavor was only okay.  Left a raw onion taste in my mouth afterwards.  I would try a frozen one to compare, and a real fresh one if I ever travel to a place where they are native, but I don't think this is going to grow on me. 

Bummer! It's true - it's definitely not for everyone.
Some varieties have very pale flesh, so it could be a cultivar thing. The texture you describe is about right. There is frequently an onion flavor with durian. Durian lovers are drawn, i think, to the crazy interplay between the "funk" and other awesome flavors that range from sherry, cheese, caramel, burnt sugar, coffee, berry, vanilla, etc....
If you got basically nothing but sweet onion flavor out of it, it may have been a dud.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »
Try Hispanic groceries, too.  Vallarta Supermarkets near me has mamey sapote from time to time, along with some other uncommon fruit

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »
I've had mamey sapote when I was in Hawaii and it is great!  Canistel also.  I now have grafted green sapote and canistel growing. 

Durian definitely has a complex flavor... I think I simply don't like it.  I'm always willing to try a few times to be sure, though. 

The seeds look fresh, same as ones I had delivered to me and successfully sprouted months ago.  I assume they are irradiated, but I'll try sprouting them and the mangosteen seeds just in case I get lucky.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:40:02 PM by brian »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 03:20:33 PM »
Bad durian has bad taste (read as inferior variety or seedling of inferior variety).  There are high quality varieties that have superior flavor (still may not be for everyone) without the onion/rotten trash component.  Wouldn't waste time planting seeds if quality was bad to begin with

Those SAs may never ripen.
- Rob

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 03:41:44 PM »
I am only growing durian and mangosteen seedlings to see if they survive in a greenhouse in Pennsylvania.  If they actually thrive I would order an (expensive) durian cultivar to continue the experiment, and I'd have to build a larger greenhouse.  Highly unlikely it will amount to anything, so I am not too concerned.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 08:16:44 PM »
The sugar apples did start softening up, I just ate two of them.  They are very good, much more like cherimoya than I was expecting.  I actually like the "sugar cookie" texture of the area near the rind more than cherimoya.  If these are bad specimens I am looking forward to trying highly rated types.  The cherimoyas I've eaten were from grocery stores, from California I assume.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 08:47:52 PM »
The sugar apples did start softening up, I just ate two of them.  They are very good, much more like cherimoya than I was expecting.  I actually like the "sugar cookie" texture of the area near the rind more than cherimoya.  If these are bad specimens I am looking forward to trying highly rated types.  The cherimoyas I've eaten were from grocery stores, from California I assume.

Cherimoyas from grocery stores are from South America and are the equivalent of a store bought Tommy Atkins.  You need to try a fresh picked and ripened Pierce, El Bumpo, Campas, Orton, etc. from California.  You will have a whole different understanding and perspective of annonas.
- Rob

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »
Looking forward to it.  I have a grafted El Bumpo that flowered but didn't fruit despite hand pollination.  Hoping for better luck next year.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 09:28:05 AM »
Nice shop fruit hunting.I always do that here and try all the fruits if i didnt tryed them before.
The durian looks legit and it might not be for you.Doesnt look like a bad one but like the best possible durian cultivar.
The mangosteen its really good and if you manage to grow the tree you have and fruit it,i think that would be a big achievement.
Get all the seeds to germinate,the iradiation is a myth,they are just kept cold.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »
Nice shop fruit hunting.I always do that here and try all the fruits if i didnt tryed them before.
The durian looks legit and it might not be for you.Doesnt look like a bad one but like the best possible durian cultivar.
The mangosteen its really good and if you manage to grow the tree you have and fruit it,i think that would be a big achievement.
Get all the seeds to germinate,the iradiation is a myth,they are just kept cold.

More misinformation.  Stick to what you know, not what you pretend to know.
- Rob

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »
I already have mangosteen and durian seedlings from a non-irradiated source that are a foot tall or so.  However, I have very low confidence that they will thrive.   They seem okay so far, though. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
I already have mangosteen and durian seedlings from a non-irradiated source that are a foot tall or so.  However, I have very low confidence that they will thrive.   They seem okay so far, though.

Probably not worth the greenhouse space unless you just want a houseplant
- Rob

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
The durian seeds from that fruit all germinated, I guess they are not on the irradiation list.  Even the flat "chicken tongue" seeds are sprouting. 

I tossed the sugar apple seeds as I just found out these come true to type so I will look for better source as I expect to actually grow sugar apple to maturity.

No sprouts from purple mangosteen seeds, as expected. 

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »
I have a question If you sit out Durian How long do you know when it is ripe
Does it need to be soft, and mushy ?

Do the pods need to be firm  or mushy
Thanks for this post
I think I can go to Chicago on the train , and find some
 (but We do have a Large Indian market that is new here and a old Asian Market.)

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »
Hopefully somebody with experience can answer that.   I just googled "durian ripeness" and read suggestions like:
- it may crack on its own when ripe (mine didn't)
- it should smell some but not strongly until you open it (mine was like this)
- if you shake it you should hear soft thud of movement inside (mine was like this)
- scrape the stem and it should be green inside (mine was brown)
- push hard between spikes in the skin and it should give slightly (mine was like this)