Author Topic: The original cantaloupe  (Read 2273 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
The original cantaloupe
« on: August 06, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »
The name cantaloupe is used for orange fleshed muskmelons nowadays but i will show you the real deal,the original european cantaloupe wich i think its far superior to any yellow type mellon.
The original cantaloupes are orange mellons with stripes and no netting on them( they have smooth skin).
The texture its soft and ,,powdery,, like ice cream,the smell and taste are far superior than any otther muskmelons varietyes.
Its a totally different fruit than the regular muskmelons with netting on them or without stripes.
I have a friend that grows only cantaloupes as a business and sells them .Been doing this all his life and i think he got the best,the epitome of cantaloupes .
He doesnt grow yellow mellons with netting on them so that they wont hibridise his cantaloupes.
I googled immages of cantaloupes and aparently there are no pictures on Google for this famous fruit.All the pictures are of hibrids that have netting on their skin.
The closest cantaloupe looking mellon pictures i could find ,was the Tuscany cantaloupe but it has netting and its not a real,original cantaloupe with smooth skin.
Real cantaloupes are hard to find even here and they become harder and harder to find by each year ,but i wasnt expecting not to find a picture with google of this.
From this i realised that real cantaloupes must be rare.
Il show you what i mean when il post pictures with it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:05:00 PM by SeaWalnut »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: The original cantaloupe
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
John

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »
These are somme cantaloupes but they are hibridised and have netting on the skin.They could still be a good fruit ,superior to the the otther yellow melons but altough they are cantaloupes,they are not the old cultivar from the subspecie without netting on the skin.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:39:39 PM »
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/95957/
Yea,thats it.It has deep ridges and smooth skin.Its not necesarely that flattened thogh but in the pictures from Davesgarden its a real cantaloupe there.
EDIT:Jared ( Weirdfruit explorer) tryed the variety Charentais wich is a real cantaloupe.
https://youtu.be/LOiCJmfDqn4
Says it tastes different than regular yellow melons and much better but that they are expensive.
Interesting that he compares it with durian and altough the smell its nice to me,i had people complaining about the smell and also said it smells like durian  :D.
He is right that because they are soft ,supermarkets and sellers dont like them because they are perishable.
Supermarkets and business owners sell hard fruits that have a longer shelf life and taste inferior.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:02:40 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 03:18:05 AM »
Just bought this today from my friend.
This is the real deal and the real cantaloup ( Cucumis Melo var Cantaloupensis).
You can see the skin its smooth,no netting on it and also the size its quite big considering this is the smallest he had for sale.
He usually has for sale double the size than this cantaloupes.
Its verry soft and we eat it with spoons here.Has the consistency of banana,totally different than the otther yellow melons wich have a tougher consistency almost like cucumbers.
This is so soft,its like eating ice cream.

I keep the seeds as i realise this is a rare melon and valuable.
If anybody from places where they dont have these ( an example woukd be USA) is interested ,i can offer seeds  for free.PM me if you are interested.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:25:53 AM by SeaWalnut »

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:42:30 AM »
Pm sent!

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
not about cantalops , but
Want to get me some of those orange water melons

Sea walnut you've seen My Nursery link about the Native American Seeds in Arizona
(yes Water melon Is native to Africa )

Man those some of those types  can be seedy too
but you can roast the seeds like Pumpkin  seeds.

The marketers do not know what the people do not know
 what they knows what they know   what they do not know
, but what He knows not what he should Know..

I guess A lot of consumers do know better
I always like how they come with 2 free disposable  bowls too.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 12:00:36 PM »
I meant because He's a marketer
do not be  confused .

(kinda from a 100 year old poetry book I found In the Dumpter in Houstan TX
ArABIAN Proverb

(modifying Used to be about 20 water melons some with seeds the size as  beans even larger now only 2 )
I like the original corn there .

I hope your friend spreads those seeds far, and wide , maybe seed savers or USDA,

https://www.nativeseeds.org/collections/watermelons

https://www.nativeseeds.org/collections/melons

Native Seeds/SEARCH (NS/S) is a nonprofit seed conservation organization based in Tucson, Arizona. Our mission is to conserve and promote the arid-adapted crop diversity of the Southwest in support of sustainable farming and food security.

Our story began in 1983 when co-founders Barney Burns, Mahina Drees, Gary Nabhan and Karen Reichhardt worked on a food security Meals for Millions project to support the Tohono O’odham Nation in establishing gardens for their sustainable food needs. Over many generations, the forces of colonization and later globalization had eroded the cultures and economies and that kept these vital foods alive in the landscape. In discussions with tribal elders they were told “What we are really looking for are the seeds for the foods our grandparents used to grow.” This sage remark inspired the formation of Native Seeds/SEARCH as a collector and preserver of endangered traditional seeds from communities in the Southwest.

Since its founding, Native Seeds/SEARCH has been dedicated to conserving the rich agro-biodiversity of the arid Southwest. Preserved in our seed bank today are nearly 2,000 varieties of crops adapted to arid landscapes extending from southern Colorado to central Mexico, many of them rare or endangered. The collection represents the cultural heritage and farming knowledge of over 50 indigenous communities, as well as recent immigrants like Spanish missionaries and Mormon homesteaders. We also conserve a number of crop wild relatives, wild ancestors of domesticated plants.

These seeds, and the knowledge of how to grow them, represent sophisticated adaptations to the challenges of farming in the desert, adaptations that continue to be relevant to sustainable ecosystems of the future. Each growing season we regenerate a portion of the collection at different sites: our Conservation Center gardens in Tucson and in partnership with numerous regional small farmers. We return some seeds to long-term cold storage, and distribute the surplus through sales at our retail store in Tucson, through our annual seedlisting, and online. Currently we offer over 500 varieties from the NS/S collection alongside Native fine art and crafts, gifts, heirloom Southwest foods, and more. All proceeds support our nonprofit mission and enable us to distribute seeds for free to Native American families and community gardens. In addition we are substantially supported by individual donations, memberships, and foundation grants.

The resilience of our food systems depends on agricultural biodiversity, as farmers and plant breeders can draw on the myriad genetic combinations as raw materials to develop new varieties better adapted to an uncertain and changing environment. Climate change, water scarcity, new and more virulent crop pests and diseases — all of these troubling trends currently threatening our food security require a wide pool of genetic diversity to prevent catastrophic crop failure and famine. Thirty-six years on from our founding, our priority today is no longer in collecting rare seeds, but in exploring the rich and varied potential of these plants to provide nutrition and livelihoods to today’s farmers, gardeners, and consumers. While continuing to preserve our collection, NS/S also provides high quality training in seed saving and farming techniques to empower communities to use and conserve this treasure themselves.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:08:26 PM by Francis_Eric »

FruitKid374

• High School Plant Addict
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 07:58:29 PM »
Sent a pm

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
Francis_Eric, the red watermelon is native to Africa but the cantaloupes could be native to Africa and also Syria.
The cantaloupe its the best of the best from all the melons.
Its not too sweet but if you add a little sugar on it then its one of the best fruits in the world.

Its scarce but not an endangered specie and verry rare in USA from what i read where they call cantaloupe mistakenly another specie.
The cantaloupe its not just a traditional name,its in the scientific name of the plant (var Cantaloupensis).

If you want seeds,send me PM as i want to send these in USA because you dont have them there .
Altough a subtropical fruit ,it fruits fast and can be grown in colder climates too like my friend grows then in zone 6 .

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 10:41:46 PM »
An update: i counted the seeds from the cantaloupe in the pictures and they are roughly 500-600 seeds.
I will send each package with about 100 seeds .
But if you are in contact with otther friends from the forum ,you can tell me in PM if you want more seeds so you can share them with your friends.( also for free as i dont give these seeds for a business).
I will use the cheapest post option to send them as these are not recalcitrant seeds and can be viable long time .
You can plant them next spring outdoor .

And the reason on why i give these seeds for free is because in USA you dont have cantaloupes ,you probably never tasted one and you will have a shock( pleasant) when you will first time eat them.
It has a custardy texture,extremely strong smell and if you add a little sugar on it it easily beats the best mango.

The melon thats called cantaloupe in USA its a inferiour mellon wich is not even the right specie .Its mistakenly called a cantaloupe but il send you the real deal wich is a totally different fruit and plant specie.

Jared,the Weird fruit explorer explains it well in his youtube channel ,how in USA ,another specie of melon thats inferior its called a cantaloupe and how he paid a fortune on a tiny ,real cantaloupe from Europe.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 12:42:25 AM »
Yea,thats it.It has deep ridges and smooth skin.Its not necesarely that flattened thogh but in the pictures from Davesgarden its a real cantaloupe there.
EDIT:Jared ( Weirdfruit explorer) tryed the variety Charentais wich is a real cantaloupe.
Says it tastes different than regular yellow melons and much better but that they are expensive.
Interesting that he compares it with durian and altough the smell its nice to me,i had people complaining about the smell and also said it smells like durian  :D.
He is right that because they are soft ,supermarkets and sellers dont like them because they are perishable.
Supermarkets and business owners sell hard fruits that have a longer shelf life and taste inferior.

I grew Charentais this year. I didn't realize european muskmelons were so uncommon. I got one melon so far. I wouldn't call the texture powdery, but maybe if it had been riper? It had a nice sweet musky flavor, reminding me of ripe jackfruit, or maybe durian. It was a little bit creamy. I picked it when only half was really ripe, because walking by the plant I could smell the sweet musky smell of the fruit, and thought it must be ready. One side was nice and sweet, the other not so sweet. I definitely would not say it beat a good mango, but it was tasty.

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/bulk-vegetables/melon/charentais-melon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 01:03:11 AM »

I grew Charentais this year. I didn't realize european muskmelons were so uncommon. I got one melon so far. I wouldn't call the texture powdery, but maybe if it had been riper? It had a nice sweet musky flavor, reminding me of ripe jackfruit, or maybe durian. It was a little bit creamy. I picked it when only half was really ripe, because walking by the plant I could smell the sweet musky smell of the fruit, and thought it must be ready. One side was nice and sweet, the other not so sweet. I definitely would not say it beat a good mango, but it was tasty.

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/bulk-vegetables/melon/charentais-melon
In order to beat the best mango you have to eat it with a little sugar.
On its own it lacks the sweeteness to beat a mango but the strong smell,the aroma and texture,everything beats mango except the sweeteness.
Mango from South America here costs 1,5 dollars a kilo and the cantaloupe wich is grown locally costs 1 dollar a kilo.
For sure people here prefer it to mango and the cantaloupes sell fast while the mangoes rot in the store.

The seeds i have are superiour to the french Chanterais .
The melons i have grow a lot bigger than Chanterais.
Its verry nice that i caught your interest and you realised they are rare in the US wich also intrigued me and thats why i give a few batches of seeds for free.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 03:20:08 AM »
By ,,powderry,, i mean it has the texture of bananas.Soft and without fibers,creamy but in a non slippery way.
This picture should clarify what i mean about the consistency.

This is the rind that left after i ate the cantaloupe with a spoon.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:21:43 AM by SeaWalnut »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »

The seeds i have are superiour to the french Chanterais .
The melons i have grow a lot bigger than Chanterais.
Its verry nice that i caught your interest and you realised they are rare in the US wich also intrigued me and thats why i give a few batches of seeds for free.

Sounds like a good melon. I'd grow it. I'm also interested in the Torpeda/Torpedo from Uzbekistan, with its white creamy flesh, but the few seeds I got didn't grow. I might try to find some of this guy's melons one of these days when I'm in Southern California.

https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-marketwatch-20110923-story.html

Baker Creek has many varieties of non-netted muskmelons, but none that quite match yours:

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/melons/noir-de-carmes-melon
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/melons/collective-farm-woman-melon
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/melons/amish-melon
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/melons/banana-melon