Author Topic: rushed grafting onto large trees?  (Read 1847 times)

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
rushed grafting onto large trees?
« on: June 22, 2015, 04:03:03 AM »
Hello, i am sorry to post a question i think must have been answered before.  i am reading now but as i type my scions are getting older.  I was gifted some special scions.  but it was totally out of the blue and i have not prepared any stocks.  i do have 2 large "JinHuang" (Taiwanese name of an australian variety i think, forgot the english name.

So i have been reading madly about top working but many seem to talk about cutting prior to grafting then waiting for new growth, in this situation i cannot do this as the scions will die soon.  so i was thinking of doing cleft style grafts and cutting away most other growth, but im still reading as i go.  if anyone has any good advice or links for suggested methods i can graft scions to mature trees, id be very grateful.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: rushed grafting onto large trees?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »
Rather than try to top work a tree spontaneously, if I had bud wood that I wanted to preserve, I would graft it on the portion of the large tree that was best suited to accommodate the bud wood you received.  Once that graft took, you would have unlimited material to graft in the future either onto root stock or to top work.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
Good advice from Harry and I would like to add that I have had good success chopping down large trees to about 6-8 inches of the ground and bark grafting. The removal of the entire top canopy makes the remaining trunk extremely receptive to taking of the new scions from my experience. The problem is that there are reports that you can kill the tree if you cut too low or if the tree is too old.

See this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=19m18s&feature=youtu.be&v=hzBerXm1WCY

I have chopped down three huge Loquat, an Avocado and recently one smaller mango and performed the bark grafts with success on all the trees except the mango was just grafted so I'll have to wait and see.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
Here is a picture of a reworked Loquat tree with scions pushing new growth.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
BTW, I would only cut the tree down so drastically if my scions were in good condition meaning there are growth buds showing and they are still relatively fresh and not showing signs of drying up.

I have only ever severely cut down to a stump, trees that I did not care about losing although even if your grafts fail, water sprouts should appear shortly after assuming the tree is still alive.

Simon

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »
Thank you guys, I will try that now.  I will drive to the farm now to do it but i will check my phone if any updates/replies here while i grafting.  I will be trying cleft, veneer and bud style grafting.  i have about 10 20-40cm sticks i just cleaned up, so I hope 1 will take!  Big worry is i dont have any supplies so i am stuck using plastic food wrap, electrical tape and mango bags to cover from the sun.

I will go find parafilm and better supplies and keep them for next time, but this time around I was caught totally unprepared.

its midnight here now so cant get pictures, but will take some if any success.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
Since you don't have para film, I assume you are going to put a bag over the grafts to decrease dehydration? You may also want to put up an umbrella to give the grafts some sort of shade.

Simon