Author Topic: Need help shaping my young mango  (Read 2012 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Need help shaping my young mango
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:00:45 PM »
Have a Laverne manila rootstock, with a 3 scions on it. One dominant scion turns out to be an almost 2 years old Mahachanok, the other scion is still young, and the third has not pushed yet. (but still green).
Maybe due to my ignorant, I let this scion's grew to about 45 degree to start with, then branched out horizontally; so, it's really doesn't look good, way out of balance, in my opinion. Can't believe how could this happened right under my nose... :D

My question is, how should I made the cut, so I can correct it's future growth to look "half way decent", and still preserving the 2 years of scion's growth? By the way, it's hard to see from this photo, but the graft's union is right by the stake's shadow; and this is the first time I see a this tree bloomed...

I am tempted to make the cut a couple of inches above the graft, but would like to hear your opinion; and also, when is a good timing to do the cut?
Thanks a lot, friends; I appreciate your help!

edit: changed to larger photo
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:01:44 PM by Samu »
Sam

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Need help shaping my young mango
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:17:24 PM »
Your picture isn't clickable so I can't zoom in. Can you just bend the dominant branch straight? When to prune it or head it back depends on your local temperatures. If you cut it back now, it could re bloom. I see that you made the same mistake that I have been making for the last several years, grafting the rootstock prior to full establishment and ensuring the rootstock is fruiting size. 

Simon

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
Simon, thanks for taking the time to reply. Sorry for a too small of a photo on the post above, here couple more larger photos, hopefully it can be better observed.

"Can you just bend the dominant branch straight?"
Well, not really straight, cause I am afraid it might snap; so with a piece of wood I propped it up, slowly...  :)

The graft:

When supported:
Sam

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »
I think Har or Rob would have better advice than I can give. In my opinion, if you want a self supporting tree in the future, you would cut it back to where the trunk is straight. Someone posted an article a while back regarding shaping trees. IIRC, it said that to correct a lopsided tree, you should actually prune the side with less growth as pruning that side will cause more branching and even out the growth. This seems counterintuitive to what many of us would probably do.

Simon

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 11:15:07 AM »
Are all three of your scions Maha? If not, then I would not do anything now. The other scions might catch up a bit if they are different varieties. The Maha is a slow grower, at least in Florida... And then if the other younger scions are Maha, why not get some other varieties on that tree instead? Otherwise propping or tying  it up I think is a good idea like Simon was thinking. Wait till after fruiting to prune if you want to go that route.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »
Ok Simon and Brev Grower, thanks again for you inputs!

As per your suggestions, I am not going to prune/pug it atm, I'll wait for now...
and see how things develop in the next few months or so...

The other 2 scions are not Maha; but one of them, -even though is not dead-, it's been there since last Summer! Hope these 2 develop soon...!

Happy growing!
Sam

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
Being planted right up against the house may have aomething to do with it.  Trees should not be planted a foot or so from a house or building...
- Rob

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
Yes, I agree, the tree would grow better if not planted too close to a wall (less potential damage to the wall and or foundation as well)...; so I really need to keep an eye on those trees along that wall: prune, prune, prune...Maybe, someday...I can afford to get some decent acreage ...😊. Thanks Rob!
Sam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk