Author Topic: Passionfruit showdown  (Read 17832 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Passionfruit showdown
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
What are you guys doing with the quadrangularis , so much waste once the pulp is out... One day I chopped one up , cooked and mixed with the juice of an acid passion fruit , was a nice marmalade ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
luc P.quadrangularis was a standard fruit grown in every second backyard here in our grandparents day and earlier.They are still around and the 2nd most popular passionfruit in NQ.There is a bit of variation in fruit character and some have sweeter, more honeydew like flesh.I have seen the flesh stewed like apples with the pulp spread over afterwards or other passionfruit added to the dessert mix.I believe also that it is added to stewed apples and choko for pies. 

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Steven, several health products are made from maracuja including sleeping tablets.
Just dry the leaves and or the flowers and make your own tea.  I add lemongrass for a better flavor.  Besides, lemongrass also has components that make you sleepy. Great combination maracuja and lemongrass (capim santo/cidreira).

Oi Berto,
I always prefer to go natural, than those synthetic rubbish that is usually sold.
I will definitely try your recipe :) I have been drinking lemon grass tea from a very young age and I love it ;D I have a plant in the garden and maracujá, it will be easy to get them together and it will be a match made in heaven ;D Sweet lemon dreams ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 06:10:20 PM »
What are you guys doing with the quadrangularis , so much waste once the pulp is out... One day I chopped one up , cooked and mixed with the juice of an acid passion fruit , was a nice marmalade ...

Luc, the outer skin of giant passionfruit can be steamed and used like zucchini. Actually pretty good tasting. No waste at all with these big passionfruits!
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »
The yellow Brasilian giants are arriving!  They average close to 400 grams, approximately!  Lots of juices and jellies coming up!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »
Berto,

Looks great!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
I just wish we could import the less standard passionfruits.

I emailed some company in South America and they said the USDA would only allow a few types (maybe even just P. edulis, as that is the only one I ever see being sold here) and they were selling fruits from a number of species.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
Nullzero,
I forgot to mention that the vines are full of flowers again. The fruits you see were hand pollinated on July 12.  Usually, I have another crop before the weather gets cold.  Today, I harvested over 20 fruits.  They just drop on the ground when ready.  Maracuja is very cost effective fruit to grow. I really enjoy them!

By the way, I have not forgotten about my words!  You will get a surprise any time before the end of the year!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:35:50 PM by Berto »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »
The yellow Brasilian giants are arriving!  They average close to 400 grams, approximately!  Lots of juices and jellies coming up!

Hi Berto, saw even larger passionfruits at the Rio wholesale market. These are also more elongated shape:
Oscar

Conden

• South B.I. Hawaii, 3600 ft. zone 11
    • Big Island Hawaii, 96737, zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 01:28:20 AM »
Great pictures, that last one looks like it could be a mango!  I recently planted some P. ligularis seeds, which are my favorite for having no acidity whatsoever. 

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

Hi Berto, saw even larger passionfruits at the Rio wholesale market. These are also more elongated shape:

That's the size of mine Oscar , the yellow one is also heavier than the red .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »
Embrapa is always improving maracuja.  They always come up with larger and better cultivars! 
Oscar, the difference between the ones you saw in Rio de Janeiro, and the one I posted is that the ones I posted are sitting in my kitchen waiting to be degusted! 8) 8) 8)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
Embrapa is always improving maracuja.  They always come up with larger and better cultivars! 
Oscar, the difference between the ones you saw in Rio de Janeiro, and the one I posted is that the ones I posted are sitting in my kitchen waiting to be degusted! 8) 8) 8)

Hi Berto,
 :o Those Maracujá Amarelo Gigante/Giant yellow Passion fruit are most impressive 8) I totally agree with you, hand pollinated fruits are top notch, heavier with a ton of juice! Hand-pollinating is a bit of work...though, the final product is far surperior than naturally pollinated fruits, that are small and less ''full''.

the ones I posted are sitting in my kitchen waiting to be degusted!    8) ;D ;D

Thanks a bunch for sharing :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »
Do you allow them to fully ripen & get wrinkly before consumption?
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
The flavicarpas are the sweetest passionfruits here with some almost acid free but some edulis rival them for sweetness.I understand that the brazilians like a little sourness in their flavicarpas.Are these whoppers a little sour?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »

Yes i digested the one in the photo long ago!  ;D  And digesting many others ever since!  ;)  Just this morning had a smoothie made with bananas and lilikoi (what we call the passionfruits here), and that's all. Delicious!
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
The flavicarpas are the sweetest passionfruits here with some almost acid free but some edulis rival them for sweetness.I understand that the brazilians like a little sourness in their flavicarpas.Are these whoppers a little sour?

The extra large ones in Brazil i had were quite sour.
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 06:50:22 PM »
All my Brazilians are sour/acid , that's what the market here wants .

Mike are you saying that your huge ones are really sweet ? The only sweet ones that I tried growing here were lingularis and the purple Hendricks , they don't do very well , not worth it , so they will be removed . Besides the quadrangularis and alata , the only other one that fruits almost yearround is the maliformis , to bad the last one is small but a keeper for my personal use . Have some maypop planted from south usa , see how these will do , never tried them , don't even know if they are sweet or acid.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
I no longer have the "Sigh of Passion" "Maracuja-suspiro," Passiflora nitida.   Do any of you grow it?
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »
luc sourness is the worst characteristic a passionfruit can have and being a mainstream fruit sour types gets culled out very quickly.When I talk about good ones I mean no sourness and strength/richness of taste.There has been many decades of breeding to get the sweet, musky complex flavors with just a feather of acid.Ligularis can't compete commercially because it is comparatively bland and alata does not have the richness of tatse either.Quadrangularis has long been popular but once again is comparatively bland.Every second yard in my area has a passionfruit vine as has been the tradition for 100 years.Every supermarket has them here.There is one called hawaiin yellow that is sour (probably not hawaiin) that is used as edulis and edulis x flavicarpa rootstock.There is a habit of calling local types exotic names like panama yellow,gold and red, african gold,norfolk black etc.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 12:18:35 AM »
All my Brazilians are sour/acid , that's what the market here wants .

Mike are you saying that your huge ones are really sweet ? The only sweet ones that I tried growing here were lingularis and the purple Hendricks , they don't do very well , not worth it , so they will be removed . Besides the quadrangularis and alata , the only other one that fruits almost yearround is the maliformis , to bad the last one is small but a keeper for my personal use . Have some maypop planted from south usa , see how these will do , never tried them , don't even know if they are sweet or acid.

Maypop, P. incarnata, will not grow here, needs some chill. You night have a problem growing it also at your location. Let us know if you are able to fruit it? I don't think it is a good fruit, but have never tried it.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2012, 05:18:54 AM »
I am surprized that sour ones are demanded in the market.When a bit of sourness in passionfruit is needed in desserts and cooking edulis can be substituted but many varieties of edulis are rather sweet.They are a favorite with children who can scoff large numbers of them down.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 06:15:37 AM »
I am surprized that sour ones are demanded in the market.When a bit of sourness in passionfruit is needed in desserts and cooking edulis can be substituted but many varieties of edulis are rather sweet.They are a favorite with children who can scoff large numbers of them down.

The sour ones are the best! If they are not too sour, they tend to have a lot more fragrance and taste than the sweet types. Here lilikoi is often used in deserts, and so sweeteners are added. What the chefs are looking for then is strong character and fragrance for making deserts. Nobody here expects to scoop them out and eat them out of hand.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 06:41:46 AM »
I think flavicarpas are often fragrant with sweets and sours aromatic Oscar.Sweet pineapples and mangoes are usually fragrant and I am not sure if in their case it is more so than sourer types.My impression has always been that sweet ones have more depth of flavor.It is easy enough to make the sour ones, you just take a sweet passionfruit and ad  lime juice.