Author Topic: Some pictures of my trees  (Read 13023 times)

Conden

• South B.I. Hawaii, 3600 ft. zone 11
    • Big Island Hawaii, 96737, zone 11
    • View Profile
Some pictures of my trees
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
I have five acres at high elevation on the dry side of Big Island Hawaii, and these are some of my trees/fruiting plants. 

Selma Cherimoya, in-ground 1 1/2 years. 

Another Selma Cherimoya

Cherimoya seedling

Denzler White Sapote, one year in ground

Moringa PKM1 seedings in greenhouse, six months old. 

The most vigorous of my three low-chill Dessert Delight nectarines, planted six months ago. 

Conden

• View Profile
Re: Some pictures of my trees
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »

Row of 9 low-chill blueberry plants

Two year old tamarillo seedling

Last year's harvest

Two new tamarillo seedlings and one of ten young fig trees I planted this year, with recently planted grafted fujikawa avocado on the far right.

container garden of citrus and figs

Jiro persimmon (fuyu type)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:44:10 PM by Conden »

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »

Peanut butter fruit tree...it was healthy and green when I brought it home nearly two years ago, but has always looked like this; I think because it wants more heat so I'm considering digging it up and putting inside the greenhouse with my moringa trees. 

My other greenhouse where I start my seedlings and grow some heat-loving fruits and vegetables.

greenhouse melons

and peppers.

white fleshed pineapples

dragonfruit

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »

one of my three chayote vines, with tomatoes in the background

yacon

Many different kinds of ohelo berries grow on our property

my strawberry pot full of berries

one of three jackfruit seedlings I just planted out. 

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:42:57 PM »

five year old avocado seedling

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
Beautiful pictures,  how do those ohelo berries taste¿
Tim

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »
Thanks Tim, the ohelo's taste sort of like wild blueberries, some are sweeter than others. 

Kona400

• Kailua-Kona, HI 400' Elevation
    • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
Very nice, lucky you have ohelo on your property.  We used to pick the wild ones a long time ago but we leave them for the nene now.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »
Your soil looks like it comes from black lava. Very nice photos.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »
Looks to be quite the adventure--- growing in conditions that most of us have never seen!
Har

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:09:21 AM »
Nice fruit trees and vegetable plants.  :)
Alexi

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Really nice crop you have going there. Love the big island!  Dave

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:04:12 AM »
Great job! Especially liked the greenhouse melons. Were those ohelos growing wild there or did you plant them? BTW i doubt jackfruit will fruit outdoors at your elevation. That's one you might want to keep in the greenhouse.
Oscar

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 05:43:59 AM »
I like your pictures of ohelo berries,excellent photo.  ;) ;D

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 04:55:27 PM »
Thanks guys.  The "soil" here is more lava rock then anything else--I need to mix in a lot of compost and manure to plant anything.  There are no nenes up here to eat the Ohelo berries, but they grow entirely on their own--I didn't plant any.  The Hawaii organic growing guide says jackfruit can grow at up to 4,000 feet and can tolerate wind, so I thought I would give it a chance in the unprotected part of my gardens.  I don't have the room for it in the greenhouse, but they're just seedlings so if they don't do well I can yank them and plant more rose apples, mullberries, or guava's in that windy space. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  The "soil" here is more lava rock then anything else--I need to mix in a lot of compost and manure to plant anything.  There are no nenes up here to eat the Ohelo berries, but they grow entirely on their own--I didn't plant any.  The Hawaii organic growing guide says jackfruit can grow at up to 4,000 feet and can tolerate wind, so I thought I would give it a chance in the unprotected part of my gardens.  I don't have the room for it in the greenhouse, but they're just seedlings so if they don't do well I can yank them and plant more rose apples, mullberries, or guava's in that windy space.

Jackfruit will grow, but will not fruit at above 2500 ft. Kona side. Here on this wet/cloudy side of island will not fruit above 2000. Same is true for breadfruit.
Oscar

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »

The most vigorous of my three low-chill Dessert Delight nectarines, planted six months ago.
Huh. I read that nectarines grow terrible in Hawaii. Have you eaten any off this tree yet?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
Hi Conden,

Truly impressive fruit trees and veggies 8) Those melons look freak'n awesome....I mean YUMMY ;D ;D ;D ;D

THX for sharing  :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
Thanks Jackfruitwhisperer, the melons are as good as they look--very sweet and aromatic. 

Jackfruit will grow, but will not fruit at above 2500 ft. Kona side. Here on this wet/cloudy side of island will not fruit above 2000. Same is true for breadfruit.

Oh, thanks for letting me know!  I'm glad now that I gave some of those seedlings to friends a few thousand feet below us; maybe they'll share their harvest with me someday. 

Xeno, one of my other nectarine trees that is older has already flowered and put out little fruits (which I picked off because it's the first year.)  Nectarines won't grow well at sea level, but here at 3,600 feet elevation they're very comfortable and happy.  I can also grow big heirloom tomatoes outdoors up here, which people in the lowlands can't do.   You can grow anything in Hawaii if you can find the right microclimate.  Some agricultural land is as high as 6,000 feet. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
Thanks Jackfruitwhisperer, the melons are as good as they look--very sweet and aromatic. 

Oh, thanks for letting me know!  I'm glad now that I gave some of those seedlings to friends a few thousand feet below us; maybe they'll share their harvest with me someday. 

Xeno, one of my other nectarine trees that is older has already flowered and put out little fruits (which I picked off because it's the first year.)  Nectarines won't grow well at sea level, but here at 3,600 feet elevation they're very comfortable and happy.  I can also grow big heirloom tomatoes outdoors up here, which people in the lowlands can't do.   You can grow anything in Hawaii if you can find the right microclimate.  Some agricultural land is as high as 6,000 feet.

Tomatoes grow fine in the lowlands. Remember tomato is a tropical plants, just widely adapted and usually grown as an annual.
BTW that Hawaii Organic Gardening Guide in my opinion is very dated, in fact it's out of print. I think it was published over 30 years ago. The author, Shunyam Nirav, was coming out with a new and improved second edition, but unfortunately passed away before he could finish it and so it was never published.
Oscar

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
Tomatoes grow fine in the lowlands. Remember tomato is a tropical plants, just widely adapted and usually grown as an annual.
BTW that Hawaii Organic Gardening Guide in my opinion is very dated, in fact it's out of print. I think it was published over 30 years ago. The author, Shunyam Nirav, was coming out with a new and improved second edition, but unfortunately passed away before he could finish it and so it was never published.

They grow fine at low elevation, but often the tomatoes need special protection from fruit flies--like a screen-house (or people will only grow cherry tomatoes or hybrids with skin), and can have additional problems with fungus that are also not present in my growing conditions.  But of course those issues won't be universal across what we call the "lowlands," it's just what I've heard some people complain about.   That's interesting about the Hawaii Organic Growing Guide--I had wondered why there was no newer edition.  It is quite dated and limited in it's information though, I try to look to other localized sources such as Ken Love's website when I can. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:15:07 PM by Conden »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »

They grow fine at low elevation, but often the tomatoes need special protection from fruit flies--like a screen-house (or people will only grow cherry tomatoes or hybrids with skin), and can have additional problems with fungus that are also not present in my growing conditions.  But of course those issues won't be universal across what we call the "lowlands," it's just what I've heard some people complain about.   That's interesting about the Hawaii Organic Growing Guide--I had wondered why there was no newer edition.  It is quite dated and limited in it's information though, I try to look to other localized sources such as Ken Love's website when I can.

Yes the main problem at low elevations in Hawaii with growing tomatoes is fruit flies. The medium and large sized tomatoes if not protected will be stung. Cherry tomatoes because they have thicker tighter skin don't usually get stung. But this is not a weather related problem. Tomatoes are native to the tropics. They still grow wild on the Galapagos islands. Also many of the large sized tomatoes have been over time bred to grow outside the tropics. It's interesting that people forget that crops like tomatoes and corn are really tropical crops. They have just been worked over long periods of selective breeding to grow outside their normal zones.
Oscar

Conden

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
No, it's not really a weather problem--since fruit flies are a relatively recent and unfortunate introduction to the Hawaiian islands.  Having grown tamarillo, pepino, naranjila, poha, etc. and knowing their distant relation to tomatoes, I certainly haven't forgotten that they are essentially tropical myself.  But I'm very glad we don't have many fruit flies on my property and they've never stung my tomatoes or other crops. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »
No, it's not really a weather problem--since fruit flies are a relatively recent and unfortunate introduction to the Hawaiian islands.  Having grown tamarillo, pepino, naranjila, poha, etc. and knowing their distant relation to tomatoes, I certainly haven't forgotten that they are essentially tropical myself.  But I'm very glad we don't have many fruit flies on my property and they've never stung my tomatoes or other crops.

I've heard that in Volcano village (3800 feet elevation) they have some fruit flies. So it might be a combination of cool weather and strong breezes at your location that help to keep down fruit fly population. Also maybe lack of dense vegetation in your area due to low rainfall?
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 11:46:14 PM »
Could you describe the climate where you live?  What are your average daytime highs and nighttime lows?  Do you have different seasons during the year?
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk