Author Topic: Some pictures of my trees  (Read 13060 times)

Conden

• South B.I. Hawaii, 3600 ft. zone 11
    • Big Island Hawaii, 96737, zone 11
    • View Profile
Re: Some pictures of my trees
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »
I've heard that in Volcano village (3800 feet elevation) they have some fruit flies. So it might be a combination of cool weather and strong breezes at your location that help to keep down fruit fly population. Also maybe lack of dense vegetation in your area due to low rainfall?

Yes, the cool weather and strong winds here in Kau contribute to it.  However, the lack of dense vegetation is really more a result of the native forest not having regenerated yet from the last lava flow. 

John, the average temperature range is 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit.  There are only subtle changes during the year--generally it's rainier and cooler during winter-spring, but from my observation it's variable.  We usually get clouds and mist every day in mid-afternoon. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 02:01:37 AM »
I've heard that in Volcano village (3800 feet elevation) they have some fruit flies. So it might be a combination of cool weather and strong breezes at your location that help to keep down fruit fly population. Also maybe lack of dense vegetation in your area due to low rainfall?

Yes, the cool weather and strong winds here in Kau contribute to it.  However, the lack of dense vegetation is really more a result of the native forest not having regenerated yet from the last lava flow. 

John, the average temperature range is 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit.  There are only subtle changes during the year--generally it's rainier and cooler during winter-spring, but from my observation it's variable.  We usually get clouds and mist every day in mid-afternoon.

The lava flow that you live on is a lot older than where i live. This area was flowed on in 1955, yet our area is full of trees. So it's not just the age, it is the rainfall. In very dry areas lava flows remain lava flows for a very long time.
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »

Wow!  A little chilly there.  I never think of Hawaii as being that cool. 
John

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 11:32:16 AM »
Jackfruit will grow, but will not fruit at above 2500 ft. Kona side. Here on this wet/cloudy side of island will not fruit above 2000. Same is true for breadfruit.

very similar here in Reunion. Jackfruit can fruit on the downwind side of the island up to an elevation of 750m, not sure for the upwind rainy coast but it is definitely less than that.

As per breadfruit i would think it is not as tropical as jacks and so that it would not fruit at such elevations.
Samuel
Reunion Island

Conden

• South B.I. Hawaii, 3600 ft. zone 11
    • Big Island Hawaii, 96737, zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »

The lava flow that you live on is a lot older than where i live. This area was flowed on in 1955, yet our area is full of trees. So it's not just the age, it is the rainfall. In very dry areas lava flows remain lava flows for a very long time.

Yes, that is much more recent--and it makes sense that the dryer climate would make the regeneration much slower (especially since Ohias aren't very fast-growing anyway.) 

John, most people think of coastal areas of Hawaii as defining the region, but these are volcanic, mountainous islands--the further up you go, the cooler it becomes.  At 13,000+ feet at the top of Mauna Loa, there is snow much of the year.  Since I can't stand air conditioning, woodsmoke, or electric heating, a mild climate suits me just fine, and a twenty minute drive brings me to sea level and places where strictly tropical fruits are abundant. 

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
Great collection of fruit trees. Hope everything grows well and fruits for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk