Author Topic: Manilita mango...  (Read 8714 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Manilita mango...
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

I have a spot in my backyard that is ideal for one of the smaller mango cultivars. I already have Pickering and Angie. Not too fond of Cogshall.  I've read that Manilita stays small. How good is it in terms of  taste and productivity?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Manilita mango...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »

I have a spot in my backyard that is ideal for one of the smaller mango cultivars. I already have Pickering and Angie. Not too fond of Cogshall.  I've read that Manilita stays small. How good is it in terms of  taste and productivity?

Manilita is just an "average" mango tastewise and the fruit size is very small.  How about Providence or Farichild?
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »

Don't want to waste space on a small and average mango. I love Fairchild; is Providence as productive as Fairchild?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »

Manilita is just an "average" mango tastewise and the fruit size is very small.  How about Providence or Farichild?

The providence I had from Walter's last summer was outstanding!  Huge fruit, and it ripened evenly--a good tart/sweet ratio, and good fiberless texture IIRC.  Ordered a tree shortly thereafter.

What about Venus--  Isn't  that a smallish tree?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Yes, I'd like to hear more about Venus, too!  One of the few grafts that took for me
last year and I want to know what to expect.....

Gary

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
Venus is quite good and indeed a small, low vigor tree. Would probably be a good choice.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »
Manilita is a Early mango from the west coast of México; small size with an atractiv yellow with pink shoulder ; is the first mango on the market every year ; this year appeared on  the  market 2 weeks ago; the flavor however is very bland and has some particular flavor that I dont like,  one of the worst mangos, I ever tried,  I wont recommended to anybody, 
El verde es vida!

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »
Can the Providence tree be kept smaller than the Fairchild?  Is Providence taste better than Fairchild?  Im looking at getting the smallest tree with the best tasting fruit

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
Venus is a seedling of ZINC.  It look to be a compact grower but as many of the newer varieties,  it is somewhat early to tell for sure.  I am not sure it is as compact as Honey Kiss but its close.  It appears for now that the parent, ZINC is a much more vigorous grower.  It is late season and the important aspect is that the fruit must be left on the tree until it attains its yellow coloration.   If you pick it green, it does not properly ripen and stays chalky and off tasting.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
Can the Providence tree be kept smaller than the Fairchild?  Is Providence taste better than Fairchild?  Im looking at getting the smallest tree with the best tasting fruit

To me Providence blows firchild away in terms of flavor, but I love a mango that has a tart component to balance the sweet.  It is also a much bigger mango than fairchild.  The one I had from walter's last summer was big enough to eat for a few days.  Very tasty!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:31:41 AM »
Jeff, I never had a mango big enough to last a few days..... Those things must be 10lbs...lol
Joe

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:42:27 AM »
Manilita-

Mr Bender (Benders Grove) has a tree. You can go there and taste in a few months. He really likes this variety and it was first to give fruit last year. His tree is about 15 by 15 feet. I ate one fruit and it had a good middle taste. It might be a very reliable tree meaning it fruits well each year. Ask Mike Bender
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:18:48 AM by zands »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »
Jeff, I never had a mango big enough to last a few days..... Those things must be 10lbs...lol

haha.  I was going to try to guesstimate how much they weighed, but like the old "fish tale", I am probably remembering it larger than it is.  Definitely a big mango though--but the flavor was what got me excited.
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »
Manilita-

Mr Bender (Benders Grove) has a tree. You can go there and taste in a few months. He really likes this variety and it was first to give fruit last year. His tree is about 15 by 15 feet. I ate one fruit and it had a good middle taste. It might be a very reliable tree meaning it fruits well each year. Ask Mike Bender

If you want to buy a mango based on productivity, then there are many varieties out there.  Tommy Atkins comes to mind.

If you are buying for they eating qualities and positive characteristics, then Manilita is not the mango of choice.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »

Providence seems to have a similar growth habit to Fairchild.  From the various treees I have seen, it is compact and well shaped.

Does it taste better, that is subjective.  Both are very good to excellent however two totally different profiles.  Fairchild is an overall very sweet mango with very little to no level of "tartness"/acidity  while Providence has a great balance between sweet and acid.  The longer Providence is left on the tree the more sweetness it takes on.  It can also be eaten green.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
Rob, any idea how much PRovidence fruit weighs?
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »
Rob, any idea how much PRovidence fruit weighs?

While I may be having some memory fail I am going to say around 2lb give or take.
- Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »
Another thing about Manilita....for a "dwarf" tree, it sure has an upright growth habit.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »
What about Honey Kiss, both tree and fruit compared to Fairchild and Providence?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 06:50:58 PM »

Going by the comments above, I've taken Manilita off my list. I already have Honey Kiss. The choice thus narrows down to Fairchild and Venus. Does anyone know how productive Venus is? Or, is it too early to say?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »

Going by the comments above, I've taken Manilita off my list. I already have Honey Kiss. The choice thus narrows down to Fairchild and Venus. Does anyone know how productive Venus is? Or, is it too early to say?

Been watching, from early looks it appears to be decent.
- Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »

In Homestead it has produced quite well and been very precocious. Venus at a minimum produces a larger fruit than Fairchild with a superior flesh-to-seed ratio. Both are excellent. Fairchild appears to be a little more forgiving in terms of when it is harvested and eaten though.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »
Where in Homestead is the Venus in production?
- Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:57:03 PM »
Where in Homestead is the Venus in production?

Fairchild Farm.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 11:06:48 PM »

In Homestead it has produced quite well and been very precocious. Venus at a minimum produces a larger fruit than Fairchild with a superior flesh-to-seed ratio. Both are excellent. Fairchild appears to be a little more forgiving in terms of when it is harvested and eaten though.
[/u]

Does this mean venus has a shorter window when it is ripe, or it is harder to time it right, or none of the above?  Thanks
~Jeff