Author Topic: White on Miracle berry  (Read 1051 times)

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
White on Miracle berry
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »
Does anyone know what this is? Is it lethal to the plant? Is there any way to deal with it?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: White on Miracle berry
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:40:58 PM »
That appears to be a mildew. Since the leaves are curling it is probably harmful. You might want to use a fungicide.

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 10:51:22 PM »
That appears to be a mildew. Since the leaves are curling it is probably harmful. You might want to use a fungicide.

Ok, I have some copper Fungicide, is that a good option or should I try something else?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »
For that advice you should consult the label. Try finding out specifically what kind of mildew you have first (assuming that is what the problem is). The most common types are powdery and downy mildew. I'm guessing that you have powdery because of the white stuff, but you can look at some pictures of the two on-line to verify this for yourself.

My memory says that they use sulfer for powdery mildew on mangoes. The trouble is that because of high levels of fungicide use, some mildews have built up resistance to certain fungicides. If you only get partial control, switch to a different fungicide rather than spraying the same one again.

You may also notice that the affected leaves turn brown after applying a fungicide. Typically, this happens because the mildew had already killed the leaf cells, but they had not had time to dry up yet.

That is pretty much what I know, I hope it helps. My miracle berry never suffers from fungus problems, so I can't give you more specific advice.

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 02:26:58 AM »
For that advice you should consult the label. Try finding out specifically what kind of mildew you have first (assuming that is what the problem is). The most common types are powdery and downy mildew. I'm guessing that you have powdery because of the white stuff, but you can look at some pictures of the two on-line to verify this for yourself.

My memory says that they use sulfer for powdery mildew on mangoes. The trouble is that because of high levels of fungicide use, some mildews have built up resistance to certain fungicides. If you only get partial control, switch to a different fungicide rather than spraying the same one again.

You may also notice that the affected leaves turn brown after applying a fungicide. Typically, this happens because the mildew had already killed the leaf cells, but they had not had time to dry up yet.

That is pretty much what I know, I hope it helps. My miracle berry never suffers from fungus problems, so I can't give you more specific advice.

Upon closer inspection, I've noticed some (not all) leaves are developing black spots. Anything about this?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 08:56:39 AM »
I'm really not sure. So many different things can cause leaf spot. My guess would be that it is also fungal in nature. The conditions that are favorable for one fungus are often favorable for others. Either way your plant is going to need some TLC.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 11:54:17 AM »
Clean it with something, isolate it from your other plants, get airflow on it, don't let the leaves get wet, cut off any leaves that look beyond recovery. Give it some gentle light. Water with a bit of milk in it is supposed to be good for washing off powdery mildew, but I've never tried it.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 06:36:58 AM »
I just watched a youtube video about powdery mildew in mango. Har (Guanabanus) says that sulfur is a preventative, but that to kill an existing infection you should use potassium bicarbonate. He said sodium bicarbonate would also work in a one time use, but that it builds up too much salt in the soil if used repeatedly (or if you already have high salts in your soil).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk