Author Topic: A Carrie question  (Read 2756 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
A Carrie question
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
My Carrie has been in the ground three years. I got about 10 mangoes last year, for the first time. This year, I have about 40, but the fruits are smaller. Is that normal? Should I be fertilizing more?

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: A Carrie question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
40 mangos on a three year old tree sounds pretty darn good. My Carrie mangos do seem a little bit smaller this season too, but remember its still only mid May and Carrie are usually ready sometime in June .

Last season my Carrie fruit were not very tasty and I ever considered top working it...but this year the fruit have been just about perfect I'm guessing the difference is the different weather as I don't fertilize my trees while they have fruit on them. My tree is almost done with the fruit off the first bloom, luckily there are a bunch of golf ball size fruit developing from the 2nd and 3rd blooms so I'm hoping to pick more in July or so. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:33:54 PM by SWRancher »

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:55:25 PM »
Might be bigger if the fruit was thinned some?  That's a great yield though!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »
My Carrie has been in the ground three years. I got about 10 mangoes last year, for the first time. This year, I have about 40, but the fruits are smaller. Is that normal? Should I be fertilizing more?
What bloom is this from?
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
What bloom is this from?

This is from the first bloom. I picked two mangoes already. The tree bloomed thrice and has mangoes of three different sizes.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
What bloom is this from?

This is from the first bloom. I picked two mangoes already. The tree bloomed thrice and has mangoes of three different sizes.
From what I have seen, from Carrie trees grown in East Boynton Beach, Excalibur's and another tree near Excalibur in Lake Worth, fruit sizes are "normal".  If your tree is small/young, combined with the first harvested, this could contribute or be the cause of smaller fruit size.
- Rob

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 10:11:33 PM »
Just don't over do it with the water and the fertilizer. Let time do its thing.

You are a lucky man. Carrie is among the top favorite mangos in my yard. My neighbor says it's the best mango in the world. That may be overstating it, but to me, it's not far from the truth.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk