Author Topic: Heading to S Florida and.. Bangkok!  (Read 3798 times)

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
Heading to S Florida and.. Bangkok!
« on: November 14, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm off to South Florida in a few days and am hoping to try some new fruits for my vlog. I'm planning on visiting The fruit and spice park, Robert is Here and maybe hit some vendors. If anyone here has anything interesting on offer or some leads I would love to hear it and would be happy to buy some fruits off you.

Also will be heading to Bangkok in a couple weeks and will be hunting around there as well if you have any suggestions of good markets/farms to visit.

Thanks!
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to S Florida and.. Bangkok!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
you may try to hit up bender's grove for good fruit selection
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
Just sent him a message, thanks! :)
- Jared

redhaus

• USA, IL, Chicago, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »
That's awesome! If I were you I'd spend a good amount of time finding out about all the nurseries in FL. I wish I knew about this forum before I went to Orlando earlier this year!

Have an amazing and safe trip :)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
Lara's Farm seems to be worth the trip as well, though i have never been.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »
Thanks redhaus, I travel extensively for work so I'm on the impossible mission of trying every edible fruit in the world! Luckily a lot of it is in S Florida! :)

Jeff, I'll check out Lara's Farm, thanks again!

- Jared

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »
Some other great places to visit: Pine Island Nursery, Excalibur Nursery, Kampong (Fairchild's historical home and orchard, you need appointment), Chapman USDA experimental station (also need appointment), TARS. Lara's is great, especially for info on mamey sapote. If you like mangos seems like Harry's place would also be obligatory. Suggest looking up old thread about best places to visit in Florida. It has more interesting places, addresses, maps, and more specific info.
This time of the year in Bangkok is probably lowest fruit season, but you should still find plenty all around to keep you happy. Have a great trip!
PS have you considered side trip to Sarawak or Brunei from Bangkok? This time of year is the best there for rare species of durio and lots of others.
Oscar

redhaus

• USA, IL, Chicago, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
Ahh you're so lucky! You're right they are all in FL!

How about Spyke's Grove? Wonder what their nursery is like since I got my Sweet Tart there. Have yet to see a mango tree in a nursery.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »
Good luck finding durian or mangosteen in Florida  ;D

You sure will find those on the or-tor-kor market in Chatuchak Bangkok. Take the metro or skytrain to there. They also have mango's and much more and a huge foodcourt. Wednesday is the big fruittree market on Chatuchak weekendmarket, they also sell fruit but not much, then you better cross the big street to or-tor-kor.

Bangkok has fruitmarkets in every neighbourhood and fruitvendors on every street. Also big supermarkets have a lot, they are in the big malls, mostly on the highest or lowest floors.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 06:22:21 PM »
make a detour to Central FL, i've got pitangatubas on tap, with miracle fruit chasers....

;D

( i understand if you can't make the 8hr round trip for the detour....so have fun in south FL regardless!  and go to fruit and spice!)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
Fruitlovers, Thanks! I'll check those places out! I am going to Bangkok  for a week before starting work in KL for three months. I've found tons of great fruit there, but its tricky to get to East Malaysia/Brunei. In March I may head out to the Philippines though...

Bangkok, I have the or tor kor market on my must visit list! I didn't know about the wednesday tree market though, I'll try and check it out! Have you been to Suphattra land? I was thinking of visiting there, but I'm not sure that they will have anything i haven't had before.

ASaffron, I'll be working in Orlando, Nov 19-23 so I'll definitely stop by!

- Jared

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
Fruitlovers, Thanks! I'll check those places out! I am going to Bangkok  for a week before starting work in KL for three months. I've found tons of great fruit there, but its tricky to get to East Malaysia/Brunei. In March I may head out to the Philippines though...

Bangkok, I have the or tor kor market on my must visit list! I didn't know about the wednesday tree market though, I'll try and check it out! Have you been to Suphattra land? I was thinking of visiting there, but I'm not sure that they will have anything i haven't had before.

There are lots of flights from Bangkok to Kuching or KL to Kuching. Often some airlines have specials that make the flights very affordable.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »

If i were you then go on a wednesday and see both markets in Chatuchak. I don't know suphattra land but sure Google can tell you more.
On the or-tor-kor you have to walk around, there are new vendors from South Thailand and they sell deepfried chempedak and some more fruit that the others don't have. They will sure have durians  mangosteens mango (and much more but those you can find on every market.)

Cheap flights go from Don Muang airport which is not  far from Chatuchak.

Last year in December was a big fruit fair in Kuala Lumpur, i can't find the info for this year but i would like to go there as well.

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
Fruitlovers, thats true! Airasia has trips for a song out of KL, my issue is more my schedule. I get one day off a week and usually I spend that time passed out in a KL massage parlor. I have been thinking of maybe stopping by Sarawak after my Philippines trip, since its so close by. That's months away though, so I haven't started on the itinerary yet. 

Bangkok, thanks! Thats exactly what I'll do. I also have Saphan Khao Market, the maeklong railway market and the amphawah floating market in my itinerary.. might as well get some of the tourist sites in too ;) I've spent a lot of time in KL, so I've had my share of cempedak, durians and mangosteens. A lot of the fruit in KL is brought over from Thailand, so I'm curious what doesn't get imported.

Suphattra land is a tropical fruit park closer to Pattaya than Bangkok. They are supposed to have a large collection and do tasting tours. I'm suspicious though it'll all be fruits I've had before. So I'm not sure if I'll make the trip or not.
- Jared

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »
Fruitlovers, thats true! Airasia has trips for a song out of KL, my issue is more my schedule. I get one day off a week and usually I spend that time passed out in a KL massage parlor. I have been thinking of maybe stopping by Sarawak after my Philippines trip, since its so close by. That's months away though, so I haven't started on the itinerary yet. 

Bangkok, thanks! Thats exactly what I'll do. I also have Saphan Khao Market, the maeklong railway market and the amphawah floating market in my itinerary.. might as well get some of the tourist sites in too ;) I've spent a lot of time in KL, so I've had my share of cempedak, durians and mangosteens. A lot of the fruit in KL is brought over from Thailand, so I'm curious what doesn't get imported.

Suphattra land is a tropical fruit park closer to Pattaya than Bangkok. They are supposed to have a large collection and do tasting tours. I'm suspicious though it'll all be fruits I've had before. So I'm not sure if I'll make the trip or not.

If you go to Pattaya try to get over to Nong Nooch gardens. Not big on just fruits, but world class collection of all plants. They have a web site.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 11:50:21 PM »
Try the papaya Holland, they are on the markets again now but i had one last week that wasn't as sweet as can be.

In the Apmhawan area you can eat the horseshoe crab if you like that.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 05:13:57 AM »

I have been there a few years ago. Great place for tropical fruit lovers.  I think my tropical fruit enthusiasm started that day!
They have a big diversity of tropical fruit trees. You can visit the park around using a small tram. And the best: All the seasonnal fruits are for free! You can eat them at different fruit stands in the park
Here some photos:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:48:28 AM by msk0072 »
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk