Author Topic: Where to find fruit in the Philippines  (Read 6294 times)

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
Where to find fruit in the Philippines
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
I'm heading to the Philippines for the next 3 weeks, can anyone recommend some must visit markets, gardens, parks etc.. where I can find rare fruit. I'll be in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Cagayan De Oro, Divao and North and South Luzon area. Also anything I should be looking for this time of year?

Can't wait to see what I can find!
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: Where to find fruit in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
Davao city / Mindanao island is considered the fruit basket of the philippines. Cebu has mango, I'm not sure about the other places. You will find Marang and Durian in Davao. you are also likely to find mangosteen. i think lanzones and rambutan are out of season but you may find some too. Check out Agdao market in Davao, thats one of my favorite markets in the city. also be sure to check out bankerohan market, i believe its the largest market in the city. so many vendors its hard to know who to choose from. enjoy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:19:11 AM by ben mango »

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
I just talked to my aunt last night. There's quite a bit in season. She brought up Mangoes, Caimito, Watermelons(you should try these heirloom variety), and if you like Jicama(singkamas), those are in season. Sweetsop, Santol, Durian, Mabolo, Manila Tamarind(camachile), Purple Mombin, Wax Apple, Jambolan(duhat), Mangosteen, Soursop(guyabano, Jackfruit(langka), and Marang may be available if you look. 

If you're in Manila, there's open air markets, but what I like when I can't find rare fruit in the open air market, the supermarket. If you go to SM supermarket at the mall, the grocery usually stocks fruit from specialty farms. I've bought Mangosteen, Marang, Wax Apple, Soursop, and Lanzones at the SM Mall of Asia.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
I just talked to my aunt last night. There's quite a bit in season. She brought up Mangoes, Caimito, Watermelons(you should try these heirloom variety), and if you like Jicama(singkamas), those are in season. Sweetsop, Santol, Durian, Mabolo, Manila Tamarind(camachile), Purple Mombin, Wax Apple, Jambolan(duhat), Mangosteen, Soursop(guyabano, Jackfruit(langka), and Marang may be available if you look. 

If you're in Manila, there's open air markets, but what I like when I can't find rare fruit in the open air market, the supermarket. If you go to SM supermarket at the mall, the grocery usually stocks fruit from specialty farms. I've bought Mangosteen, Marang, Wax Apple, Soursop, and Lanzones at the SM Mall of Asia.

watermelons are always in season in davao. as are jackfruit, and some of the others you mentioned. you may also find sugar apples.

i have a few friends in davao and they say there are many marang in season now. for me personally, marang and durian are the 2 best fruits there.

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
Ben Mango, thats wonderful! I'm marking those markets down. I scheduled three full days in Davao so should be able to hit quite a few markets.

Tropicaliste, Oh thats really exciting Mabolo, marang, santol and Jambul have been on my hit list for a while now. I've never been in the right place at the right time when they've been in season. I'll be spending about a week in Manila so I'll check the supermarkets. Any open air markets you'd  recommend? I've heard the Cubao Farmers Market is supposed to be quite good.
- Jared

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »
Ill be there as well in a  few  months doing some humanitarian work...however the area I'll be at might not even have anything at all in it.... I'm hoping for  the  best
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
Jared: I realized after my post that I remember seeing you on youtube a few times. :)

If you're willing to travel a bit south to Laguna, they grow many fruits there. Dr. Roberto Coronel has a nursery and he's a friendly guy. He's one of the foremost botanical authorities in the Philippines, and grows rare fruit. If you had the time, you might want to see if he can give you a tour of his trees. Try to find videos of him on youtube.

I'm only familiar with Divisoria and Salcedo market. I can't guarantee selection though, because I've only spent time at the supermarket in Manila.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
Anyone familiar with Palawan?  It sounds like the plant species there follow Borneo more closely than the Philippines.  I am thinking of a possible vacation there.  If anyone knows good locations for fruit or what the prime fruiting season typically is, I would appreciate the info.  I am assuming the seasons would be similar to Sabah but that does not necessarily follow...

John

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
Tropicaliste, thats great, always nice to hear that somebody is watching out there. :P
I've planned a visit to Roberto's conservatory in Los Banos in a couple weeks. Really looking forward to it. Have you been? I'm hoping he is open to letting visitors try fruits as well.
- Jared

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
Anyone familiar with Palawan? It sounds like the plant species there follow Borneo more closely than the Philippines.  I am thinking of a possible vacation there.  If anyone knows good locations for fruit or what the prime fruiting season typically is, I would appreciate the info.  I am assuming the seasons would be similar to Sabah but that does not necessarily follow...

John

this is probably true, depending on where in Palawan. from my understanding some of the durians from Davao are shipped over. Maybe they don't have as big as a local supply compared to that in Davao where they have an excess. I think the main fruit season would be similar to Davao's which is August and September

this guys youtube channel is pretty useful for info on fruits in palawan Champada fruit! You will love this fruit! Coming to you from Palawan!

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »
Jared: I have not, it's on my list on my next visit. I plan to buy some trees from him. I neglected to mention you should be able to get chico sapote fruit as well.

On Palawan. If you can make it to Palawan, there are rare species of artocarpus, durio, and willughbeia, but you may need a local to help you look.

I would suggest you look at the posting by the member from here who ate durian on her trip. yearofthedurian.com is her website.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:23:08 AM »
I am sorry, but 3 weeks is not enough to travel all those places.  Manila and Cebu?  Not gonna happen unless you spend the whole time traveling and not enjoying.

Best recommendation is to visit north Philippines and come back later and visit the southern island.

Also, file for extension while there and stay for 4-6 weeks.  3 weeks is just not enough.  They will let you stay longer than 21 days as long as you file extension each week while there.  I had no problem getting my flights shifted each time.

What plants you look for depends on your home growing zone.  If you are between sub-trop and temperate, then you should certainly travel to the mountains of Baguio City and check out their Botanica Gardens.  Heck, it is worth going there just to see the rice beds growing in the sides of the mountains with locals dangling from ropes tending to them.  The japanese temple has some of the prettiest sights as well.  Most of the lower elevation regions are the same in terms of what you'll find from Bicol to Novaliches.

There are really interesting varieties of plants and trees growing in the hundred islands as well.

PS)  Stay out of the Malls.  Especially the tri-noma (which locals call (Three times the price).

Learn some tagalog, and the locals won't charge you extra as a tourist most of the time.  I had so much fun watching them gear up to barter with me, only to find I spoke tagalog and they give me price of the locals.

Good luck and have safe travels.  There is much to see.  Don't forget to visit the famous water falls up river.  Be prepared to tip the canoers--just don't let them trick you into believing its $50 usd.   It is only $5.  ;)

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »
Jared: I have not, it's on my list on my next visit. I plan to buy some trees from him. I neglected to mention you should be able to get chico sapote fruit as well.

On Palawan. If you can make it to Palawan, there are rare species of artocarpus, durio, and willughbeia, but you may need a local to help you look.

I would suggest you look at the posting by the member from here who ate durian on her trip. yearofthedurian.com is her website.

I'm pretty sure Lindsay did not go to Palawan. but did spend time in Davao

I am sorry, but 3 weeks is not enough to travel all those places.  Manila and Cebu?  Not gonna happen unless you spend the whole time traveling and not enjoying.

Best recommendation is to visit north Philippines and come back later and visit the southern island.

Also, file for extension while there and stay for 4-6 weeks.  3 weeks is just not enough.  They will let you stay longer than 21 days as long as you file extension each week while there.  I had no problem getting my flights shifted each time.

What plants you look for depends on your home growing zone.  If you are between sub-trop and temperate, then you should certainly travel to the mountains of Baguio City and check out their Botanica Gardens.  Heck, it is worth going there just to see the rice beds growing in the sides of the mountains with locals dangling from ropes tending to them.  The japanese temple has some of the prettiest sights as well.  Most of the lower elevation regions are the same in terms of what you'll find from Bicol to Novaliches.

There are really interesting varieties of plants and trees growing in the hundred islands as well.

PS)  Stay out of the Malls.  Especially the tri-noma (which locals call (Three times the price).

Learn some tagalog, and the locals won't charge you extra as a tourist most of the time.  I had so much fun watching them gear up to barter with me, only to find I spoke tagalog and they give me price of the locals.

Good luck and have safe travels.  There is much to see.  Don't forget to visit the famous water falls up river.  Be prepared to tip the canoers--just don't let them trick you into believing its $50 usd.   It is only $5.  ;)

he said he wants to visit markets, gardens, parks and find fruits, he didn't mention anything about finding plants and wanting to bring them home. I would tend to agree that 3 weeks is not enough time to see all these places but still it will surely be fun. I chose to go straight to Davao for 3 weeks because I heard that is the fruit basket of the country. $1 marang and durians in the streets ... can't beat that. also, with the pricing thing ... most people selling fruits already have the price written down somewhere, so you can expect to not get cheated from these people. however, if you are buying fruit from a vendor with no price written down anywhere they have the option to name any price they want, you can choose for yourself if you think its a good deal or not. generally, no fruit costs more than 40 pesos per kg, unless mango, mangosteen or durians when out of season. Everything else should be in the 20 pesos per kg range. Also, I found the best deals were not necessarily from established fruit vendors at markets , but rather people selling their fruits somewhere near/around market are where you are likely to find the best deals. these ladies had some of the best marang i had on my trip there.  i ate marang nearly everyday for 3 weeks, wish i can do that another time soon.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Ah, so just fruits?

Many of the markets carry quite the variety.  I love squid, and of course they have some large ones.  So I always collect the fruits and calamari.

Davao definitely has the widest variety of fruits.  So many street vendors to choose.

So much to explore, I had to travel back to the Philippines many times, and still want to go explore more of it.

Some fruits I ate, I don't even know what they were.  The locals would sometimes smile at me when they'd see me eat their strangest items.  I always tried to keep a straight face.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »
Ah, so just fruits?

Many of the markets carry quite the variety.  I love squid, and of course they have some large ones.  So I always collect the fruits and calamari.

Davao definitely has the widest variety of fruits.  So many street vendors to choose.

So much to explore, I had to travel back to the Philippines many times, and still want to go explore more of it.

Some fruits I ate, I don't even know what they were.  The locals would sometimes smile at me when they'd see me eat their strangest items.  I always tried to keep a straight face.

the locals are friendly. once i ate a marang right there in the street and another guy does the same, smiles at me and gives me a thumbs up LOL

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »
ben: I wasn't implying Lindsay went to Palawan. The break in paragraphs denoted my break in topic. I suggested Palawan, but since I know he will go to Davao, I made a separate suggestion he visit her site.

As far as getting the fairest price, you're never guaranteed. If you "dress down" and act like a expat then you may get a good price, but even balikbayan who wear clean clothes but speak fluent Tagalog may not get the lowest price. It's up to you to haggle. I'm not shy, and will haggle. It's up to you to know what you think a fruit is worth, or a ride, or an item.

Frankly, paying 35 piso a kilo for fruit (in the supermarket) won't break the bank, I'd prefer to know where I can get something and not need to scour the market where I'm constantly bombarded by children tapping my elbow for piso. I love to help others, though being bombarded really takes fun out of finding fruit.

I agree about going north. Baguio is beautiful, it's a city that feels great, not sweltering, and you drive by flowers constantly. The op isn't going there though.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I didn't think Lindsay had visited Palawan but it might make sense to shoot her a note anyway.  She has probably researched peak season there with thoughts of a future trip & may even know some good spots for fruit hunting.

John

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
Tropicaliste, I won't be visiting Palawan this time around :/ And you are right about the SM mall, it has a great selection and not too much more expensive than the street vendors. My first market I visited I bought Marang and Caimitos for sale and she took me for 100 pesos/kg saw these cheaper at SM. So she was obviously taking advantage of me. Later that night I saw a street vendor with caimitos priced at 35php/kilo! I'm a little more street wise now.   

Viking guy, I actually have 4 weeks total (tourist visas are now for 30 days!). And I think its a pretty adequate amount of time for a vacation. I of course would like to stay longer and see more places for longer, but  I would much rather get a few days in several places than spend my entire time in one city. Most of my time will be spent in and around Manila with 2-3 day visits in other towns and cities. Domestic flights are quick and cheap so I'm not losing much time traveling, the worst travel will probably be the buses I plan on taking up to north Luzon but thats all part of the adventure :). I'm definitely hitting Baguio as a short stop on the way further North. I'll mark down the botanic gardens on my list. I hear the main market at Baguio is great, anything in particular I should be looking for? 

- Jared

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
Nice, you're already there. :) It sounds like you're enjoying some fruit; despite being overcharged.

A note about Baguio. Please pay for the nicer bus, you will want air condtioning on the 8 hour bus ride to Baguio. On top of that, you want to know the bus will get you there, I don't trust the older bus to make it up that treacherous road. Seen some scary things.

You will love Baguio. Seeing Pine trees everywhere tricks your brain. The strawberries grown there popular. Though there is a SM on Luneta hill if you don't find anything else at the "maharlika" market.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 01:31:38 AM »
I'll be heading to Cebu in April/May. Can't wait to hit the markets :D.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 06:54:58 AM »
Bohol Bee Farm and Siit Botanical Garden is a short hop away :) well  there's always Boracay if you don't want to traipse thru Farms. Markets I forgot the name of the largest Saturday organic market and where it is usually held. There is also a very large pick and pay organic farm on the outskirts.of Cebu City also forgot.

Darn.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:30 PM »
Hi I will also be traveling to Cebu and Bohol, any places I should check out besides the ones mentioned above?  So far Ramos market and Carbon market in Cebu look promising for fruit buying. 

When I get there in early to mid June are there any fruits I should be on the look out for?