Author Topic: Top 10 worst fruits (VIDEO)  (Read 12369 times)

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
Top 10 worst fruits (VIDEO)
« on: August 23, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
After reviewing over 100 fruits for this series, in my opinion these are the absolute worst I've had.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:21:16 PM by Jared »
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

twistedted

• View Profile
Re: Top 10 worst fruits (VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
Awesome video!
                           Always enjoy watching them, though I do like myself a good Chempedak and the Betel piper leaf is bitter but not nearly as bad as fresh Kratam! God Thats a foul tasting plant! 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
i enjoyed watching the video!

thanks for sharing all your experiences with us!

you are courageous!

your synopsis of Noni is spot on.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »
Awesome video!
                           Always enjoy watching them, though I do like myself a good Chempedak and the Betel piper leaf is bitter but not nearly as bad as fresh Kratam! God Thats a foul tasting plant! 

Betel leaf wasn't terrible, but not enjoyable at all. Kratam I'm glad to say I haven't tried yet. :)

- Jared

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
OMG--ROFL  ;D 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
Jared,

delete the 's' in 'https' in your link, so it says 'http'....and your video will appear embedded in the thread.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
Jared,

delete the 's' in 'https' in your link, so it says 'http'....and your video will appear embedded in the thread.

Great tip! Thanks
- Jared

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
Great video.

Regarding number 6 though, it wasn't too clear if you thought they were the same species.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
Nice video of Jared making all kinds of terrible faces. Congratulations! You managed to offend 3 different cultures in one short video:
Durian: much of Asia's #1 favorite fruit
Chempadek: highly revered, especially in Malaysia
Ume: highly thought of in Japan
FYI noni fruit was never eaten by Polynesians, except perhaps as a starvation food. Mostly it was the other parts of the plant that were used medicinally: roots, leaves, bark. It was actually Europeans that started touting noni fruit as anti cancer.
Don't consider chewing betel eating a fruit! Especially what you were eating, which was combination of betel seed, betel leaf, and lime powder.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:59:41 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
Jaret

I really enjoyed your video! noni and durian are the only ones I've tried from your selection and I also spit both of them out absolutely horrible.

dreamfrutas

• Let´s Trade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 10:38:13 PM »
Thanks Kared, you made my day. I really LMAO!!!!!

There are some Cordias that I am sure you will love, the problem is, these will glue you lips and tongue and you will be not able to finish the video LOL

Cheers

Carlos

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »
Awesome video!
Except… I have to disagree on the noni.
I love noni …
Tastes like a combination of two of my favorite things - bananas and stinky French cheese!
(I have about a dozen noni plants in my greenhouse in Idaho right now)

Carolyn

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »
Huge thumbs up Jared! The faces speak volumes...almost as if the viewer were there sharing in the experience. Absolute classic. Best regards, Chris

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »
Great video.

Regarding number 6 though, it wasn't too clear if you thought they were the same species.

Yes, I was worried it would be a little confusing to see all the footage of the different species when I'm only talking about one. But without it it was not a very entertaining segment. Goal of this video was to just briefly discuss the past episode and not be a full review, so I compromised a bit on that.

Nice video of Jared making all kinds of terrible faces. Congratulations! You managed to offend 3 different cultures in one short video:
FYI noni fruit was never eaten by Polynesians, except perhaps as a starvation food. Mostly it was the other parts of the plant that were used medicinally: roots, leaves, bark. It was actually Europeans that started touting noni fruit as anti cancer.
Don't consider chewing betel eating a fruit! Especially what you were eating, which was combination of betel seed, betel leaf, and lime powder.

Hahaha  ;D I have surprisingly only really gotten serious complaints about the cempedak review. Durian and Ume lovers maybe are more used to hearing some resistance?
True about Betel, technically that was mostly a seed review. :P

Thanks Kared, you made my day. I really LMAO!!!!!

There are some Cordias that I am sure you will love, the problem is, these will glue you lips and tongue and you will be not able to finish the video LOL

Cheers

Carlos

You know I'd try it at least once... :-X

Awesome video!
I love noni …
Tastes like a combination of two of my favorite things - bananas and stinky French cheese!

Carolyn

Carolyn, You are a stronger person than I.

- Jared

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 01:55:04 AM »

Hahaha  ;D I have surprisingly only really gotten serious complaints about the cempedak review. Durian and Ume lovers maybe are more used to hearing some resistance?
True about Betel, technically that was mostly a seed review. :P

Awesome video!
I love noni …

Carolyn

Carolyn, You are a stronger person than I.
Durian is probably world's most bashed fruit, and at same time, most ardently loved fruit. So it's a bit of an enigma.
I think that people with degenerative diseases that are trying noni, usually as a last resort, could make the experience a lot more pleasant perhaps by mixing the noni juice with other juices, like pineapple, citrus, or apple juice? I know that kava is mixed here in a drink with pineapple juice and that makes it taste pretty decent, whereas without it a friend has said it taste like dirty dish water.  ;) So i'm thinking same could be done with noni juice.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:46:14 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
True. Most noni juices use only a small amount of noni and lots of strong flavored juices like pineapple so you can't taste the flavor of cheese and vomit.
I love taro! It's a flavor that isn't common in the west though. I wouldn't put pineapple with it since taro has a nutty creamy flavor and sour fruit would more cover it up than compliment it. Coconut milk and sugar would maybe work better.
- Jared

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »
True. Most noni juices use only a small amount of noni and lots of strong flavored juices like pineapple so you can't taste the flavor of cheese and vomit.
I love taro! It's a flavor that isn't common in the west though. I wouldn't put pineapple with it since taro has a nutty creamy flavor and sour fruit would more cover it up than compliment it. Coconut milk and sugar would maybe work better.

Oh sorry, my brain wasn't fully engaged when i wrote that. I meant kava, not taro. (I now edited original post to cover my mistake.)
Oscar

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 04:13:08 AM »
The noni you ate looks rather different than the noni here in Hawai'i. They are typically much bigger than yours and the flesh color is much lighter. I suspect the ones here are much milder in flavor than in, say, Thailand, partly because I've read that the varieties here have much less of the putative medicinal component. I think they are pleasant and refreshing in small quantities. They are fairly sweet when fully ripe. When I happen across a tree with ripe fruit, I typically eat maybe one quarter of a fruit and enjoy it before the mild burning or bitter flavors become distracting.

The ume you ate looked totally unripe. I've eaten ripe raw ume and it's a sour, pungent fruit, but still edible and not offensive. They are sold green for making umeboshi, which is another example of something that's quite tasty in small quantities or diluted with other foods, no different than many pungent Indian pickles that are very popular. I wouldn't pop a whole umeboshi in my mouth, but a sliver of one is a sublime sensation.

It's easy to empathize with your chempedak experiences. I've only had it from 3 different trees, but I found it extremely delicious each time, possibly a top 10 favorite fruit, although I prefer jackfruit. As much as I enjoy it, I agree it's extremely funky. It's the only fruit I don't like to leave sitting around on the kitchen counter all day. I like the smell, but prolonged exposure to it is overwhelming. On the other hand, I routinely leave durians sitting around on the kitchen counter for days and barely notice the smell.

The worst fruit I've tried is cannonball. I let it ripen for a few weeks--the smell is really intense too--and I was confident it was ripe but the oxalic acid taste was still too strong to enjoy it. There is a sweet creamy flavor in there, but overall its edibility is questionable. I'd put bilimbi in the worst 10, but only because I basically like everything and I only like it a little bit. The flavor is okay, kinda boring, but it's so extremely sour that I usually avoid it eating it out of hand. Similarly, rambai makes my worst 10 because even though the sourness is easily tolerable, the other flavors are too boring and bland to balance it out. I've tasted it from 3 different trees and I'm sure I had it at optimal ripeness and a reasonable sweet/sour balance, but I would generally prefer a sweet, cheesy noni over a rambai.

Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 04:37:45 AM »
Rambai is a sweet and pleasant fruit with little sourness.Bilimbi fair enough just because it is sour and a few sour Eugenias might also feature in the sourness stakes. Chempadak varies enormously in quality and so does durian but tge are classy fruits.Some langsats,grapefruit,passionfruit,papaya are distinctively ordinary.
Some of the native Australian fruit that occupy the fringes of edibility could easily knock off all on the list.Grit,sourness, bitterness and astringency can all be found in a few species but chemical aftertaste,mealiness,a lack of flesh and general disagreeable unpleasantness are hall marks of some species enjoyed originally by aboriginal people.

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
Ahahahaha! And I have such trouble trying to grow a cempedak tree!  ;D

João Franco

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »
Hi, there is no link for the vid. :(

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
Oscar

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »
totally disagree on the durian.

It's my #1 favorite fruit , along with mangosteen, cherimoya, and mango.

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 08:14:13 PM »
The noni you ate looks rather different than the noni here in Hawai'i. They are typically much bigger than yours and the flesh color is much lighter. I suspect the ones here are much milder in flavor than in, say, Thailand, partly because I've read that the varieties here have much less of the putative medicinal component. I think they are pleasant and refreshing in small quantities. They are fairly sweet when fully ripe. When I happen across a tree with ripe fruit, I typically eat maybe one quarter of a fruit and enjoy it before the mild burning or bitter flavors become distracting.

The ume you ate looked totally unripe. I've eaten ripe raw ume and it's a sour, pungent fruit, but still edible and not offensive. They are sold green for making umeboshi, which is another example of something that's quite tasty in small quantities or diluted with other foods, no different than many pungent Indian pickles that are very popular. I wouldn't pop a whole umeboshi in my mouth, but a sliver of one is a sublime sensation.

It's easy to empathize with your chempedak experiences. I've only had it from 3 different trees, but I found it extremely delicious each time, possibly a top 10 favorite fruit, although I prefer jackfruit. As much as I enjoy it, I agree it's extremely funky. It's the only fruit I don't like to leave sitting around on the kitchen counter all day. I like the smell, but prolonged exposure to it is overwhelming. On the other hand, I routinely leave durians sitting around on the kitchen counter for days and barely notice the smell.

The worst fruit I've tried is cannonball. I let it ripen for a few weeks--the smell is really intense too--and I was confident it was ripe but the oxalic acid taste was still too strong to enjoy it. There is a sweet creamy flavor in there, but overall its edibility is questionable. I'd put bilimbi in the worst 10, but only because I basically like everything and I only like it a little bit. The flavor is okay, kinda boring, but it's so extremely sour that I usually avoid it eating it out of hand. Similarly, rambai makes my worst 10 because even though the sourness is easily tolerable, the other flavors are too boring and bland to balance it out. I've tasted it from 3 different trees and I'm sure I had it at optimal ripeness and a reasonable sweet/sour balance, but I would generally prefer a sweet, cheesy noni over a rambai.

Yes I think you are right that the Noni available in SE Asia is different. Its much smaller and darker. I have yet to try the kind available in Hawaii, but I imagine its not nearly as strong seeing that just being in the same room with that noni made me gag.

Are you sure that ripe raw ume is edible? I've heard that its poisonous unless its pickled? If its edible, I'll definitely try it again this winter when I visit Japan. The one I had was definitely unripe.

I really want to build up my tolerance to that cempedak funk, I feel like I'm missing out on something great. But it just is too overwhelming to me.

Where did you try cannonball fruit? Its one of the top fruits that I would like to try. Any advice on how to eat it properly? I love bizarre looking fruits and that one certainly fits that bill.

Rambai is a sweet and pleasant fruit with little sourness.Bilimbi fair enough just because it is sour and a few sour Eugenias might also feature in the sourness stakes. Chempadak varies enormously in quality and so does durian but tge are classy fruits.Some langsats,grapefruit,passionfruit,papaya are distinctively ordinary.
Some of the native Australian fruit that occupy the fringes of edibility could easily knock off all on the list.Grit,sourness, bitterness and astringency can all be found in a few species but chemical aftertaste,mealiness,a lack of flesh and general disagreeable unpleasantness are hall marks of some species enjoyed originally by aboriginal people.

I like Bilimbi. Its not my favorite, but a nice refreshing sour taste in moderation. I'll be hunting for Rambai this winter in Borneo, sounds like something I'd like. Looking forward to trying it. Unpleasant or not, Native Australian fruit would be interesting to try.

totally disagree on the durian.

It's my #1 favorite fruit , along with mangosteen, cherimoya, and mango.

No offense meant ;) I do like durian when I'm in the mood for it. Its an acquired taste for me that hasn't yet clicked. It would be interesting to try some of the less funky durio species and build up my tolerance a bit.
- Jared

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »
Are you sure that ripe raw ume is edible? I've heard that its poisonous unless its pickled? If its edible, I'll definitely try it again this winter when I visit Japan. The one I had was definitely unripe.

I can't even be sure the fruits I ate were really ume and not some other kind of plum mislabelled. I got them directly from the farmer at a roadside fruit stand. I have almost no knowledge of prunus fruits.
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk