Author Topic: Jaboticaba Comparison (VIDEO)  (Read 2944 times)

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
Jaboticaba Comparison (VIDEO)
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
Special thanks to Adam at Flyingfoxfruits.com for this one. Here is my review comparing the red, white, grimal and blue Jaboticabas.

http://youtu.be/B3RNpqJ8F1I
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Jaboticaba Comparison (VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:16:22 PM »
I really enjoyed the video!

now you have me thinking of what other fruits I can send that you haven't tasted yet? 

I should have some other oddities to send you in 2016!!  It's always fun to try to impress the guy who's eaten a gazillion different fruits!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
Cool vid, thanks!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the comparison video! I would love to see more Jab varieties in a side by side comparison. I wonder how Sabara would have held up?

Jared, with all the fruits you've tried, it may be worth it to get a refractometer so you can give a Brix reading. Thanks for all your videos!

Simon

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
Thanks guys!

Adam, anytime you have something to send I'll be more than happy to review it!

Simon I'll look into the refractometer. I'm not familiar with the device. Why would a brix reading be useful information?
- Jared

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »
Hey Jared,

A refractometer measures the total soluable solids, in essence it tells you how sweet something is. A refractometer costs about $30-60. A hand held manual model with a range of 0-32 degrees Brix has served me well. To use it, you simply place 1-2 drops of juice onto the screen and hold the device up to a light and read the scale. Sweetness is very subjective but with this device, you can give a viewers an exact number.

A mango with a Brix reading of 15% would be considered not sweet by most. A Mango with a Brix of 20% may be considered sweet and a Mango with a Brix of 30% is very very sweet. You can make certain assumption once you are familiar with specific varieties of fruit. A Kent Mango with a Brix reading of 15% would indicate to me that the fruit was either eaten before it was fully ripe, it was picked pre mature so it isn't able to fully sweeten up or the fruit may have come from a young or improperly fertilized tree. A Kent with a Brix reading of ~19-21% would indicate to me that you got a nice Kent fruit.

Brix does not give all the information viewers may need to make an educated decision whether or not they may like a fruit but it is a big part of the equation. Acidity plays a big role as well. The sugar acid balance is very important but I'm not sure if there is a simple and easy way of getting this data, the Brix is extremely easy to get.

Simon

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Simon. I certainly see the value in having an exact number for how sweet something is rather than just telling by taste alone. For telling proper ripeness, is there any source online that you would recommend to compare the readings to? I'm actually planning to catalog my videos into a database online, so this could be valuable information to provide if there isn't such a resource.
- Jared

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
Hello Jared
Here in Brazil, spoon jabuticabas morning, the night they are bad for consumption, how long the fruits came to you?
His videos are very good.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
Hello Jared,

I know there is a comprehensive Mango database but I do not believe it includes Brix values. I am not aware of any list that includes Brix values of all the wonderful and varied fruits out there. I currently Google whatever fruit I'm trying to find Brix values for and and include "Brix" in the search in hopes of getting data with some sort of Brix reading. There are scattered lists with Brix values for Mango( most are values I added while attending mango tastings), citrus, Lychee and a few others.

A list with all the varieties of fruit you have tasted would be so useful as a starting point to get a general idea of how sweet a specific variety of fruit is. I'm afraid you are going to have to re-travel to all the countries you previously visited and grudgingly re-eat all those fruit, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Because I am such a nice guy, I will offer to help you eat all those fruit, simply send them to my house and I will evaluate them and even give you a Brix reading, lol!

All joking aside, I have a list of Brix readings for a limited variety of Mango, Cherimoya, Pomegranate, Dragonfruit, citrus, Lychee and Melon. The list s short and for some fruit, I only have a single datapoint. I will put it up on the forum when I get a chance. Perhaps we can come up with a Brix chart that is somewhat organized and easy for other to contribute data. Cheers,

Simon

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »
Hahaha! Simon, you are a saint. I'll send you some noni next time I find it. You can do that reading yourself because I don't like being on the same street as one. My production budget is currently in the single digits, but I like this idea, so I'll see what I can do.

nelesedulis, Thanks! I'm glad to hear you enjoy the videos. As for freshness, I know the ideal situation would probably be to bite the jaboticabas directly off the tree.  ;) I unfortunately don't have that luxury here in NYC. Adam at flyingfoxfruits kindly sent them with next day delivery, so they only sat out for 24 hours or so. Flavor was still wonderful.

- Jared

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »
Hi Jared,

One day I played with Adam, since I live in southeastern Brazil, namely in Jaboticabaland, a good way to save jaboticabas, is to transform the fruit into jam and make jaboticaba of wine, from 24 h, the fruit begins to turn into vinegar!
Many eugenias here from Brazil, have this characteristic of spoil very quickly, do not ask anyone to send you by post and Eugenia pyriformis or eugenia cagaita, because the taste is terrible ... you will get the same face of the day who experienced Wood apple or GAC  ....

Hahaha! Simon, you are a saint. I'll send you some noni next time I find it. You can do that reading yourself because I don't like being on the same street as one. My production budget is currently in the single digits, but I like this idea, so I'll see what I can do.

nelesedulis, Thanks! I'm glad to hear you enjoy the videos. As for freshness, I know the ideal situation would probably be to bite the jaboticabas directly off the tree.  ;) I unfortunately don't have that luxury here in NYC. Adam at flyingfoxfruits kindly sent them with next day delivery, so they only sat out for 24 hours or so. Flavor was still wonderful.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk