Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283510 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »
Here is an Alphonse mango from truly tropical:

This is a very popular Indian cultivar. This mango was turning orange with some slight green and anthracnose. The very top was starting to rot so I had to eat this mango now. It weighed 309g and was 3.5in long, a bit on the smaller side compared to other mangos. When I cut the mango open it produced a flat orange flesh with a small amount of thin juice. The seed was monoembryonic and thick relative to the amount of edible flesh. The flesh was completely fiberless and was thick, savory and smooth. The taste was mildly sweet mango flavor with some subtle resin throughout the flesh. This is a great all around mango for as much as flavor and texture and a reason for its popularity in India.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »
Here is a dot mango from truly tropical:

I picked up two dot mangos from truly tropical on August 8th and gave one to my brother and kept one for this review. I ate mine about 5 days later which on that day my brother calls me exclaiming " I just ate the dot, it is stinkin delicious, even better than nam doc!" He loves nam doc mai like crazy. This mango was a yellow orange with some anthracnose marks. The shape and skin color somewhat reminds me of canistel, and this mango also had a double-beak on the bottom left in the pic on the scale. It weighed 356g and was 3.5in long. When I cut the mango open it produced a bright orange flesh with some syrupy juice adhering to the flesh. The monoembryonic seed was large relative to the amount of edible flesh as this was a smaller sized mango. The flesh texture was thick, savory, and creamy; it was fiberless for the most part with an occasional long string of fiber on the base of the peel. The flavor was delicious, very sweet of rich mango flavor with syrupy honey sweetness. I actually ate this mango too fast and since it is a small mango ran out of flesh before I realized I needed to gather more of a taste description....oops. This dot mango was in my top 10 mangos this season and has been added to my grow list. A must try mango in my opinion.

-joep450

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
Hey Joe, thanks for all your great reviews, this is one of my favorite threads! Speaking of top 10 mangoes, what are your top 10 that you have tasted do far? Also, we seriously need to have you analyze the different Lychee varieties😁Thanks in advance and keep up with the great reviews!
Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
Filling in at this pharmacy for some extra dough and look what I found on the shelf:

Took a whiff of this and dannng talk about resinous lol

Simon_grow: my number one fav mango right now is lemon zest, mangos 2-10 in no particular order would be ivory, ice cream, Carrie, "OKPT" from Excalibur (still need to figure out this exact name), xoai cat hoa loc, hindi Benasara, dot, mallika, cannonball. Obliviously PPK is awesome but the LZ is better and would be duplicating the flavor. Also the Ensey Tyler mango though fibrous has very good flavor and I randomly get cavings for its orange soda flavor, ensey sunset, and cushman are very good and would be runners up if I had a top 13 haha, plus I havnt had coco cream yet or maha chanok and 100's of other mangos so my dream team grow list will change over time. I think in general most mangos taste good but to find a mango with good flavor AND fiberless creamy texture is what I appreciate as my favorite mangos.

-JoeP450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
Thanks for these detailed reviews.  I knew not the longer description of ZILL mango.  Now all I need is another ticket to Florida to enjoy these late mangoes.....

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »
I hope you have time to review the xoai cat hoa, its one of the varieties I was thinking of adding to my collection, but was waiting to get more feedback on it from members, if you have it in your top list, that is a good sign.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
Hey tropic dude I did review the xoai cat hoa loc and is on pg 2 of this thread. It's a large mango with sweet flavor and it very very aromatic. I did a google translate and pronunciation on xoai cat hoa loc and it is Vietnamese meaning "mango flower buds" not sure if this was named because it had unique flower buds on the tree or because of how aromatic the mango is, but one of my favorites.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
Here is a honey kiss mango i ate today from Walter zills:

This mango I have no information on and eventually I'll call over to get some more info on it. This mango was a yellowing green with a small amount of light red blush at the top and felt soft and ready to eat. It was 3.5in long and weighed 238g. When I cut the top off it revealed a pale orange flesh with very little juice adhering to the flesh. The flesh was firm and fiberless with a few long strings noticeable on flesh direct on the peel. There was not a large amount of flesh to eat as this was a smaller sized mango with a big (what seems to be) polyembrionic seed. The taste was mildly sweet and slightly tangy with a peachy nuance and no resinous taste.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »
Here is an Edgar mango from Walter zills:

Edward x Gary = Edgar. This mango was mostly yellow with some olive green towards the bottom and starting to brown on top. This mango was 4in long and weighed 355g. When I cut the mango open it produced a bright yellow-orange flesh and leaked some thin juice. The flesh was fiberless soft and juicy. There was an alright amount of flesh to eat that surrounded a monoembryonic seed. The taste was like canned peaches with an added tangy finish and a resinous taste near the peel.

natsgarden123

« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
I havent seen anyone mention Mulgoba

Squam has been picking from a very old tree and the taste of Mulgoba is....incredible

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »

Squam has been picking from a very old tree and the taste of Mulgoba is....incredible

That's What i was waiting for someone to say!!!

I knew my cousins aren't nuts. there has to be some reason my grandparents paid 10 times the normal cost for these mangoes 25-30 years ago, planted the seed, and put up ith it for 15 years until it fruited!!!!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »

Actually, I reviewed it here: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6365.msg86319#msg86319

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »
I don't have a JoeP quality description of the Mulgoba, but I have had several of them this year and they are terrific!  The Florida Mulgoba.  I understand that the Indian version may be different than the one we have come to call Mulgoba in Florida.
JC

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
Hey tropic dude I did review the xoai cat hoa loc and is on pg 2 of this thread. It's a large mango with sweet flavor and it very very aromatic. I did a google translate and pronunciation on xoai cat hoa loc and it is Vietnamese meaning "mango flower buds" not sure if this was named because it had unique flower buds on the tree or because of how aromatic the mango is, but one of my favorites.

-JoeP450

Wow thanks, I must have missed it the first time around because I did not see a picture associated with the review.

sounds like a really good one to have.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
Below are a Cushman, from TT, and a Spirit of '76, from an undisclosed location.

The Spirit came from a young tree. It was a bit spongy when squeezed, usually a scary sign.  Still it was very tasty, sweet and nicely sub-acid. Flesh was dense and fiberless.  I suspect it was a bit more tart than typical for this cultivar. But it was my first taste ever, and I'm very grateful to my anonymous source. It's kind of similar to Kent, and I'm glad I have a baby Spirit in my collection.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
....and the Cushman, MadMangoDan?

;D

...analysis please....

Gary

natsgarden123

« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

Actually, I reviewed it here: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6365.msg86319#msg86319

You must have had a bad fruit or something because the Mulgoba I ate yesterday was very sweet and juicy-it was fabulous. I would plant a tree but  its a poor producer and it's supposed to be disease prone- The Mulgoba tree I saw ( on the orchard where Squam gets his fruit) was very big and it gives no fruit most years, according to Squam. This year the tree gave relatively few fruit. 
Squam may have some more fruit so if you can one, its well worth it.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
That would be mulgoba. It is a poor bearer, which is why it is not commercially grown. The lack of disease resistance may explain the sudden death of my grandparents mulgoba seedling a few years ago (before i know what budwood was and know about grafting, i was like 8) which allegedly gave the best mangoes they had ever tasted in their life  :( :'( >:( (i never got to taste them.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ) I plan to bring back budwood from the seedling of that seedling tree and graft it here.

Any clue where "squam" got his tree? If it is commercially available, i would like to know where to get one.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Also, i can easily explain the lack of quality in mulgoba here. It is an indian mango grown in florida. In india, there is a saying. The drier the year, the better the mangoes. I don't think florida qualifies as "dry"

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »
That would be mulgoba. It is a poor bearer, which is why it is not commercially grown. The lack of disease resistance may explain the sudden death of my grandparents mulgoba seedling a few years ago (before i know what budwood was and know about grafting, i was like 8) which allegedly gave the best mangoes they had ever tasted in their life  :( :'( >:( (i never got to taste them.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ) I plan to bring back budwood from the seedling of that seedling tree and graft it here.

Any clue where "squam" got his tree? If it is commercially available, i would like to know where to get one.

The tree was planted many decades ago on a property in West Palm Beach. Nobody propagates it commercially unfortunately. There are a number of examples left though where budwood could be obtained.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »
I also have tasted fruit from Squam's Mulgoba tree and agree that this is a great tasting mango! 

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
I also have tasted fruit from Squam's Mulgoba tree and agree that this is a great tasting mango!

Good to know.

The tree was planted many decades ago on a property in West Palm Beach. Nobody propagates it commercially unfortunately. There are a number of examples left though where budwood could be obtained.

It's nice to think that there are sources for budwood left. Most of the mulgoba trees in India are being replaced due to low productivity. I think i'll try to get my hand on budwood at some point in the future, when i have somewhere to plant it  :) ;)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
Gary, I think I'll leave the Cushman to those like Joe with a more refined tasting vocabulary.

I think it's a fine mango, with some coconut taste at times.   And for whatever reason I'm attracted to the coloration of the flesh when you cut off a big slice.  Kind of a tree-ring of darker orange color near the skin.

I'd be interested in how others would describe the texture of Cushman, versus some mangos that are more (smooth,silky,slimy, glossy).  I like both sorts of texture.

....and the Cushman, MadMangoDan?

;D

...analysis please....

Gary

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »
@ Squam  thanks for selling me your delicious mangoes and making time  to see me coming from Arizona. All the mangoes i got from you have been eaten and i have  potted up 18 seeds yesterday.
The Madame  corn is certainly an ugly thing  with little flesh to seed  - but wow it certainly is flavorful . I was a little too rough with the poly seed and it broke :-\
 I got a small Mulgoba from you b4 and it was awesome tasting. I also very much enjoyed the Wester cultivar and one of my fav's the "BEST" mango from truly tropical it's a big, colorful, has to me an overabundance of flesh to seed ratio . i can eat the large bottom portion with a spoon. Loved it . Alex's Edwards were bountiful and delicious as usual.

Anyway Alex so grateful you offer these for your customers especially the crazy people  :-[   :P :-[ that travel all the way from the desert to see you and chris @ TT for these exotic mangoes.

Thanks again you have a customer for life( eeerrrr.... as long as my wife works for the airlines) ;D

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
JoeP - would you hate me if I asked if there is any way you could add the American weight value to your
mango analysis'? (pounds/ounces)

Like 335g (12.5 oz)

if it's too much trouble then don't bother and I'll do the translation....

thanks, Gary