Author Topic: Kesar vs Jumbo Kesar  (Read 1427 times)

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
Kesar vs Jumbo Kesar
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:02:10 AM »
What is the difference between Kesar and Jumbo Kesar?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Kesar vs Jumbo Kesar
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 11:08:45 AM »
What is the difference between Kesar and Jumbo Kesar?
From what I've gathered from reading this forumthere is no such thing that is known of in Florida maybe California?  If you find some or I have some in India you're more than welcome to bring some bud wood and come visit Disney World :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 12:54:44 AM »
There is no difference in taste between the two varieties, everything is the same except the size of the fruit.

from what I have gathered, this was a natural mutation (I think they call it a somatic mutation) that happened on one part of a tree in an orchard in India, the farmer noticed that one branch of this tree always had much larger fruit, so he propagated it, and this is how we got the Jumbo Kesar.

I know that Kesar and Jumbo Kesar are in Florida, from what I have gathered, they grow well here, Kesar seems to be better adapted to different climates, unlike Alphonso, which does not do or taste as well outside it's preferred growing area.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
There is no difference in taste between the two varieties, everything is the same except the size of the fruit.

from what I have gathered, this was a natural mutation (I think they call it a somatic mutation) that happened on one part of a tree in an orchard in India, the farmer noticed that one branch of this tree always had much larger fruit, so he propagated it, and this is how we got the Jumbo Kesar.

I know that Kesar and Jumbo Kesar are in Florida, from what I have gathered, they grow well here, Kesar seems to be better adapted to different climates, unlike Alphonso, which does not do or taste as well outside it's preferred growing area.

I’ve yet to see a real Jumbo Kesar in Florida. The tree Fairchild had labeled as Jumbo is just a regular Kesar.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
I did hear a rumor that there is Jumbo Kesar in the Dominican Republic. That rumor came out of South Florida. Could this be remotely possible and is there any way to verify this?
Pretty much all I know about the Dominican Republic is that they have bad liquor.
Could be another false rumor :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »
I did hear a rumor that there is Jumbo Kesar in the Dominican Republic. That rumor came out of South Florida. Could this be remotely possible and is there any way to verify this?
Pretty much all I know about the Dominican Republic is that they have bad liquor.

Not only is it growing in the DR, it's growing on a very large scale commercially.  the scions were brought directly from India, and they were put on mostly Banilejo rootstock.

This is the first video I recorded with Noris Ledesma, they had three varieties in the initial phase of the project, Kesar, jumbo Kesar, and Kent, they later abandoned the Kent, this video is mostly in Spanish.
https://youtu.be/JCnW56M77Yw

I did a follow up on the project, a year later, this video is in English
https://youtu.be/D2-bJ_0bh1E

last information I got on this DR project , Joe, left the project and started one of his own ( With Kesar), the original project, was expanded, if memory serves me, around 30,000 trees.  they were shipping containers of fruit to NY and Chicago markets, but had some serious logistics problems, at that time,  the project did not have their own packing processing plant, and the area does not have a thermal treatment plant.  on top of that, since Jumbo Kesar are much larger than the local varieties normally exported, the thermal treatment plant really screwed up a few shipments, some of the mangoes were cooked. also you may have noticed, how the fruits were in many stages of development, in commercial setups, fruits must be extremely close to the same stage of ripeness, and that was another reason they had some failures.  I do not know if they worked those problems out by now.

I was told by a person that they planted Jumbo Kesar in South Fla, but want to keep that persons name private.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:39:19 PM »

Not only is it growing in the DR, it's growing on a very large scale commercially.  the scions were brought directly from India, and they were put on mostly Banilejo rootstock.

This is the first video I recorded with Noris Ledesma, they had three varieties in the initial phase of the project, Kesar, jumbo Kesar, and Kent, they later abandoned the Kent, this video is mostly in Spanish.
https://youtu.be/JCnW56M77Yw

I did a follow up on the project, a year later, this video is in English
https://youtu.be/D2-bJ_0bh1E

last information I got on this DR project , Joe, left the project and started one of his own ( With Kesar), the original project, was expanded, if memory serves me, around 30,000 trees.  they were shipping containers of fruit to NY and Chicago markets, but had some serious logistics problems, at that time,  the project did not have their own packing processing plant, and the area does not have a thermal treatment plant.  on top of that, since Jumbo Kesar are much larger than the local varieties normally exported, the thermal treatment plant really screwed up a few shipments, some of the mangoes were cooked. also you may have noticed, how the fruits were in many stages of development, in commercial setups, fruits must be extremely close to the same stage of ripeness, and that was another reason they had some failures.  I do not know if they worked those problems out by now.

I was told by a person that they planted Jumbo Kesar in South Fla, but want to keep that persons name private.
I hope you're right about someone in South Florida having the Jumbo Kesar. While I might not be interested. I do know someone who would be tickled to get some of that bud wood. :)

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 10:27:40 AM »
http://fshs.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2020-FSHS_PROC_FINAL.pdf

Full article on jumbo kesar is published here. It says jumbo kesar is seedling of kesar.