Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 529009 times)

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #2000 on: May 08, 2021, 04:34:27 PM »

Can anyone help me with this PPK? No flowers and no growth this year. You can see it is also only growing on one side. I gave it a healthy dose of Helena 8-2-12 about 6 weeks ago and still nothing. It has been very dry this year, but every other mango I have has flowered or pushed or done something. This one has just been dormant. It had a those green bumps like it was trying to push, but nothing happened. Any ideas?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 08, 2021, 09:54:07 PM »
If the fertilizer has stayed dry most days, it hasn't been doing anything most days.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: May 08, 2021, 10:13:40 PM »

Can anyone help me with this PPK? No flowers and no growth this year. You can see it is also only growing on one side. I gave it a healthy dose of Helena 8-2-12 about 6 weeks ago and still nothing. It has been very dry this year, but every other mango I have has flowered or pushed or done something. This one has just been dormant. It had a those green bumps like it was trying to push, but nothing happened. Any ideas?

Not unusual characteristics for a PPK.  Make sure it gets water to go with the fert this growing season.

As for one sided growth, it looks to be lacking any true main branches on that off side.  Without doing major pruning to reshape, it may remain that way.
- Rob

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 09, 2021, 02:49:46 PM »
Har and bsbullie, thanks for your responses. Hopefully the problem will resolve itself once the rain starts and fertilizer seeps in. Here's to a good growing season.

INaba

• West Florida coast, zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 11, 2021, 10:18:05 PM »
Mango growers I need your expertise please
What deficiency this mahachanok tree show. Do I have to spray it with something?

Is this boron poisoning on leaves shows this picture?

One more question:
What could be the reason tree dropped all fruits from top part of the  tree. And there are some fruits on bottom part of the tree. Prior year it had twice more fruits.

Also what the problem with this florigon? Do I have to cut top part off?

Thanks.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 13, 2021, 01:32:42 PM »
INaba,
Mahachanok has deficiency of Magnesium, and perhaps of Zinc.  Treat with Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate):  1 Tablespoon per gallon in a watering can, 4 gallons total.  Walk around the drip ring, swinging the watering can back and forth, under and outside the canopy.

Your Florigon has Mango Malformation.  Cut trunk off, several inches below the malformed wood knot.  Sanitize clippers.
Har

INaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 13, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
Mahachanok has deficiency of Magnesium, and perhaps of Zinc.  Treat with Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate):  1 Tablespoon per gallon in a watering can, 4 gallons total.  Walk around the drip ring, swinging the watering can back and forth, under and outside the canopy.

Your Florigon has Mango Malformation.  Cut trunk off, several inches below the malformed wood knot.  Sanitize clippers.
Har, thanks a lot for your expertise.
For Florigon do I need to spray with fungicide after.
For mahachanok can I do a zinc foliar spray?
Thanks a million.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 14, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »

There is some bark crack on this mango and some sap is coming out. What caused this? Would heat be a factor? It gets over 100 in the greenhouse. Should I cut below the wound?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:01:24 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 15, 2021, 10:42:24 AM »
Jaboticaba45,

Splitting like that can be from Copper deficiency, resulting in inadequate strenthening of the bark, which then splits under sudden changes of hydration or temperature.  Then infection can move into the open wound, and move into tissues having inadequate Copper, Zinc, Calcium, Silicon, Manganese, or Sulfur.

You could spray just that black cracked spot with 3% hydrogen peroxide, with its spray bottle from the drugstore, undiluted [not recommended for general spraying on plants, due to undeclared ingredients which are not labelled for use on plants].  [Good for sanitizing tools too.]

Spray trunk with any Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate fertilizer or fungicide, at the maximum recommended rate on the fungicide label, then add water to dilute, and spray the foliage.  If you already have ammoniated copper, that should work too.  Either one will penetrate quickly.  Any other Copper molecules are likely to act mostly on the outside, and slowly penetrate some.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 15, 2021, 10:47:36 AM »
INaba,

Spraying the sanitization-pruning wound with hydrogen peroxide can be helpful.  Then with any Copper spray.

Spraying all your mangos' foliage with a multiple micronutrient mix is usually good, if not mixed too strong.
Har

INaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: May 16, 2021, 10:42:41 PM »

Spraying all your mangos' foliage with a multiple micronutrient mix is usually good, if not mixed too strong.
Har, thanks a lot for answering every question.
Is this one good micro elements complex ?

And I red on this forum about 90% of questions your recommendation is cooper spray. How often we need to spray with cooper? Can I substitute spraying sulfur or this fungicide  which seems like organic friendly version. And how often to use all fungicides

And one very last question.  What is this on my peach cobbler?
And if I need to do something in this case?
Thanks, thanks, thanks for your expertise.
Irene.

INaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 16, 2021, 10:45:29 PM »
Forgot picture of peach cobbler

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 17, 2021, 08:35:45 AM »
The Citrus nutritional mix should help some.  Chelated mixes are better.  Lignosulfonate chelates are allowed in organic production;  EDTA's are not.

Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate is a substance allowed in Organic production;  Ammoniated Copper is not.  These are not product/sales package names.

Copper is an essential nutrient for plants and humans;  it is not to be avoided.  It must be used in moderation, sensibly.

Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 17, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »
That Garden Friendly Fungicide won't do anything for a Copper deficiency.
Har

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:29:47 AM by JakeFruit »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 18, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
JakeFruit,

That Southern Ag product looks very good, and the other one should work too.
Har

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 18, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »
Great, thank you Har.

If you don't mind, one more question I've been meaning to ask you. I had asked your opinion on a timed-release fertilizer about a year ago, you said it looked good except there was a little more urea than you'd prefer to see in it. You said to watch the leaf wax for signs of "melting" if I recall correctly. I'm wondering if that's what I have going on now. Do these photos show the issue you were warning me about?

I've been using a multi-nutrient foliar citrus spray (the Southern Ag one INaba linked above, actually) with a little dish soap every few weeks in Jan-Mar. I was assuming what I was seeing was the spray. Want to be certain before I apply my next round of fertilizer to my potted mangoes.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 18, 2021, 09:05:35 PM »
Jake,

You are right, that that is spray residue, or irrigation-water mineral residue.
Har

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 19, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
You are a savant  :)

I do indeed water off my shallow well, overspray leaves rust stains on PVC, concrete, etc.,. I noticed leaves located higher up didn't have the residue on the them, which makes sense now because they were above the irrigation spray.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2019 on: May 23, 2021, 05:26:26 AM »
New growth gets damaged.  I can't see any insects.
Is this from spidermites or some fungal problem?

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 27, 2021, 05:03:17 AM »
I posted in the main forum but I didn't get an answer.

How would you treat an extremely severe calcium deficiency in 2-3 years old mango seedlings that look like 6 months old please?

I added 40gr (almost 3 Tbsp) of calcium nitrate to each one's roots (diluted in irrigation water) and I also have been spraying a lower dose of the same product for the last 3 days. I do see progress but I'm too worried that I might not be doing enough. Sandy soil with >8 pH and low Mg content. I have been spraying Mg before and I gave Mg sulfate about a month ago. Let me know if I should be doing more, or less please...

Thanks Har!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 28, 2021, 06:15:27 PM »
Calcium deficiencies can only be corrected slowly.  Calcium Nitrate may help some, but can quickly add too much nitrate, which can actually make Calcium deficiency worse.  Preferably use Calcium Sulfate (gypsum), or chelated Calcium.  If soil is extremely acidic, small amounts of Calcium Carbonate (lime) can help.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 28, 2021, 06:22:45 PM »
Lebmung,

Zinc deficiency, caused likely by carbohydrate deficency in the roots--- starvation, due to no leaves synthesizing.

The burns on the tiny new leaves can be from fungus or salt burn--- such as from too much fertilizer, too much dog pee, pool water, salty rain, etc.
Har

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 29, 2021, 07:39:13 PM »
Calcium deficiencies can only be corrected slowly.  Calcium Nitrate may help some, but can quickly add too much nitrate, which can actually make Calcium deficiency worse.  Preferably use Calcium Sulfate (gypsum), or chelated Calcium.  If soil is extremely acidic, small amounts of Calcium Carbonate (lime) can help.

My soil test shows a Boron deficiency as well, do you have any recommendations for the kind of Boron that I could use in Alkaline soil of >8 pH please? For some reason, Boron chelation seems more complicated than other micros? Thanks!

3rdgrey

• USA,Fl,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 30, 2021, 02:27:01 PM »
Hi. Im in 9b. I have several mango vareities each exhibiting varying degrees of health although they all recieve the same treatment. Recently i acquired two large 7 or so ft. tall additions, a Glenn and a Valencia Pride. I had mound planted them due to the periods of past standing water. However,  we have had several weeks of 30 to 40 mph winds so planted them in the ground. Two days ago i noticed the majority of the Glenn's leaves on the ground. The Valencia is beginning to do the same. I had been watering them daiy by hand. No rain herebeither for weeks. My others have yellow leaves dropping. Too much water? Is the Glenn finished? Appreciate any help.