Author Topic: When and how to pick orange sherbet mango  (Read 1626 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
When and how to pick orange sherbet mango
« on: May 15, 2021, 06:29:53 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have a good crop of orange sherbet mangoes. Do you let them hang on the tree for as long as possible like a Pickering or pick them early green like some other varieties?
Little early to ask this question but it's kind of been troubling me :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: When and how to pick orange sherbet mango
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 07:49:11 PM »
There should be a slight color change.  If experienced you can pick very mature green but you run the risk of wrinkling and not ripening or being chalky.  Let them ripen too long on the tree and you risk jelly seed to gelatinous flesh
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »
A sad thing, to mispick an OS. Good luck figuring that out, hope to have that problem next season.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
Looks like I'm going to have a good crop of orange sherbet mangoes. Do you let them hang on the tree for as long as possible like a Pickering or pick them early green like some other varieties?
Don't let it trouble you, man!  What else do you have a good crop of?
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »
Don't let it trouble you, man!  What else do you have a good crop of?
Sweet tart Pickering and Valencia Pride
I'm still building my team but most of my trees are in a major flush growth. Earlier I was concerned they were doing a second bloom but it turns out it was only Julie and Dwarf Hawaii. They are doing a mixture of flush and bloom. I trimmed the blooms like Truly Tropical Chris does to her potted mangoes. Funny story on the Valencia Pride is my neighbor's tree but on the north side that cross the fence. She says  belongs to me. She only eats three or four mango per season.The rest I pick and distribute through the neighborhood

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:37:22 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 04:01:29 PM »
My OS had 4-5 fruits on it at 2 years old. Just two months ago. All have conveniently fallen off but one. If this one stays I will get to taste one. But no big deal because I have Lemon Zest fruits (planted 2011) coming along.  The real kicker is that when I bought this Zill derived LZ  (2011)   it had O/S written on the outside (in kind of a white chalk) of the x gallon pot. Can't make this shyte up!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 04:10:06 PM »
My OS had 4-5 fruits on it at 2 years old. Just two months ago. All have conveniently fallen off but one. If this one stays I will get to taste one. But no big deal because I have Lemon Zest fruits (planted 2011) coming along.  The real kicker is that when I bought this Zill derived LZ  (2011)   it had O/S written on the outside (in kind of a white chalk) of the x gallon pot. Can't make this shyte up!

You have been on the forums long enough to know why "OS" was written on that pot. 
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »
You have been on the forums long enough to know why "OS" was written on that pot.

Right you are! LZ was originally called Orange Sherbet. Right?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 11:42:24 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.msg194351#msg194351

Score!  There is so much in the archives here. Research can pay off for everyone.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 11:46:21 AM »

Right you are! LZ was originally called Orange Sherbet. Right?

Correct, 27-1 was originally call OS.  Then when G-32 came along, that had more of the orange sherbet taste profile so G-32 was then named OS and 27-1 was named LZ.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk