Author Topic: Changsha mandarin opinions  (Read 7833 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Changsha mandarin opinions
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
hardyvermont, I have been on the site in the past and have never had an issue. Likely your security settings are flagging the site. Perhaps you can access it via a google search? A search for "Botanical classification of citrus fruits" has it as the 4th search result on my browser.

"Which citrus fruits will come true to type from seed?", has it listed as the 9th search result.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:51:40 PM by kumin »

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 06:47:23 AM »
No! It is not dangerous! :-))

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 11:14:07 AM »
My computer has no problem accessing citrus pages.  I have been on citrus pages many times and never had a problem.

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2021, 10:51:37 AM »
@Kumin, thank you very much for the two links, they are very much what I looked for 👍👍

I also thank you for the link @Kurmin.  It is a very nice summary of root stocks. Now that we know what varieties might be highly zygote, do you know where we can purchase them?

Jim I have the same problem with pollen in SC.  But there is a practice to collect pollen dry it and store in the freezer until its needed. I am going to try doing this this spring. I wanted to make some crosses in 2019 but the trees I wanted to cross didn't overlap but in 2020 they did. Here is a link to a study on pollen storage.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317052288_Influence_of_Storage_Duration_and_Storage_Temperature_on_In-Vitro_Pollen_Germination_of_Citrus_Species

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 12:25:09 PM »
orangedays,

In my searches last year, I discovered Brite Leaf to have used several of these rootstocks in their propagation. At that point they had very limited inventories. They are permitted to ship out of state.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:27:32 PM by kumin »

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 10:33:57 PM »
orangedays,

In my searches last year, I discovered Brite Leaf to have used several of these rootstocks in their propagation. At that point they had very limited inventories. They are permitted to ship out of state.
They have none of the rootstocks you mentioned. 

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2021, 10:49:57 AM »
Thanks Orangedays, that link answered my questions.  Since my time gap between Poncirus and nonhybridized citrus like my Changsha is only one month, and the study shows pollen can be stored at freezer temperature for at least 48 weeks, there shouldn't be a problem.  Though likely, I'll screw things up the first time I try collecting and storing pollen.

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
Anna Jameson at Brite Leaf kindly replied to my inquiry and also provided some useful information from Dr Bowman. I quote:

"I apologize for the delay in responding.  We were out sick and quarantined for Covid.
From your list, US 897 is the only one we grow.  However, I do not have any available rootstocks.  All have been grafted and are contracted to other customers. You might try Southern Citrus Nursery in Dundee.  (863) 439-3694  They used to have a website, but I don’t wee one now.
Also please see notes below in red regarding the other rootstocks.  I’m attaching a guide that Dr. Bowman provided for your reference. -- according to Dr. Bowman (the USDA plant breeder of all these varieties)

US 801 Changsha x Eng.Sm. TF: not released to the industry; don’t know anything about it
US 809 Changsha x Eng. Lg. TF: not released to the industry; don’t know anything about it
US852 Changsha mandarin x English Large trifoliate orange: not an industry standard in FL; the only ones I’ve grown were from a seed source in GA that has now been cut down
US-1279 Changsha’ mandarin x ‘Gotha Road #6’ trifoliate orange: this doesn’t come true to type from seed, so must be grown as tissue culture or rooted cuttings – we’ve [ Dr Bowman ] had no orders, so are not growing "  -- Anna Jameson

Well it is good to know.  I have the idea that using industry root stock is going down the wrong path. The industry needs apomictic varieties and cold hardy plant breeders want the opposite.  In the time it would take to get the bud wood, and grow it up I could perhaps produce a changsha X PT cross and grow it out as well. It may be few years behind but then it would probably be more zygotic than anything that the industry would release.  By the way Bright Leaf has a great selection of reasonably priced citrus.  I glad to have been introduced to them and plan to put in an order this spring.