Author Topic: mango seeds in water for 9 months  (Read 667 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
mango seeds in water for 9 months
« on: June 29, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »
Last year at end of the season and it started getting cooler so I didn't plant out the seedling started in water, and kept them in water next to the stove, from September 2017 to June 2018, and just planted them recently. This must be a record for mango tree in water. I covered the whole plant with clear plastic bag to the water from drying up too fast, and only removed it once a week for a few hours, then flipped the bag around using the dried side to prevent  any bacterial issue.

There were 3 seeds in the box, and when I separated the roots to plant them, only two seeds developed to trees and one seed, still green, developed a healthy big root system but not a single shoot!
The seed turned into deep green and doing all the needed photosynthesis I think.

Also here is a photo of a veneer graft I did recently using Walter Zill top work method. It is indian Alampur on a Kent seedling rootstock. This Kent is 15’ and practically given no fruits the last 3 flowering seasons. It acts like it had been sterilized with radiation of sort. The Alampur was from Florida rootstock and grow so slow – only 15 inches in 5 years planed in ground. Another slow grower in SoCal is Mahachannok. So I grafted both Maha and Alampur but the Alampur pushed out first while Maha is still none but swelled up. I found this veneer method is the best way to graft to mature tree. I covered the grafts with white paper to avoid sun cooked, covered the whole cutting top to bottom with grafting tape (not tape really but cut out strips of plastic bag), and only opened a gap for the shooting to get out when they appeared.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk