Author Topic: "Southern" Pawpaw Source?  (Read 3887 times)

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
"Southern" Pawpaw Source?
« on: March 01, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
It seems as though Just Fruits and Exotics is all out of pawpaws, are there any other good sources for Florida/Gainesville/"Southern" varieties? I've got a small Mango and Shenandoah from Logees, but would like to acquire a few others.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: "Southern" Pawpaw Source?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
It seems as though Just Fruits and Exotics is all out of pawpaws, are there any other good sources for Florida/Gainesville/"Southern" varieties? I've got a small Mango and Shenandoah from Logees, but would like to acquire a few others.

Mango I believe is the only mainstream variety I’ve seen purporting to do well in the south.
The way I see it, then, the source of your trees is immaterial.
I have had bad luck with bare root mail order pawpaws but my experience is limited to 2 trees. I probably didn’t do them any favors by crowding the roots and not shading them, however.
The trees were very large and healthy - Nolin River Nursery in Kentucky.
Hidden Springs Nursery in TN has been doing pawpaws for a long time. They probably have the brand new KSU Chappell if you ask. Highly recommend this one. I have not ordered through the mail from them but local pickup. Good grafts and good roots.
G2gardens.com (Missouri) sells trees from Forest Keeling which uses a root pruning method and I believe ships with the potting medium intact, which would be ideal. One Green World is way out in Oregon but I assume does similar method. They have the new Peterson cultivar.
Keep us posted!

How are your trees from Logees doing?

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply Triloba. Just Fruits and Exotics had a selection of "low chill" pawpaws, some supposedly bred by a guy in Gainesville, FL (but I can't find any other source regarding him on google), which is why I asked. I only get 200-500 chill hours where I'm at, so wanted to ensure I got something that'd actually fruit.

The trees from Logees were shipped in very deep pots, grew a bit after repotted them into 1G's, and defoliated late in the fall (Shenandoah before Mango). They appear to have swelling leaf buds right now. I was afraid when my Shenandoah defoliated that it had died, so I scratched a branch after a few months and it was still green.

I figured if I couldn't find something explicitly "southern", I'd buy some cheap seeds (mango?) or seedlings (Willis Orchard in GA ~$7?) and roll the dice.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 04:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply Triloba. Just Fruits and Exotics had a selection of "low chill" pawpaws, some supposedly bred by a guy in Gainesville, FL (but I can't find any other source regarding him on google), which is why I asked. I only get 200-500 chill hours where I'm at, so wanted to ensure I got something that'd actually fruit.

The trees from Logees were shipped in very deep pots, grew a bit after repotted them into 1G's, and defoliated late in the fall (Shenandoah before Mango). They appear to have swelling leaf buds right now. I was afraid when my Shenandoah defoliated that it had died, so I scratched a branch after a few months and it was still green.

I figured if I couldn't find something explicitly "southern", I'd buy some cheap seeds (mango?) or seedlings (Willis Orchard in GA ~$7?) and roll the dice.

Interesting! I've not heard of anyone in Gainesville who had worked with pawpaw. Of course, that doesn't mean much.
I have not heard much discussion of low-chill pawpaw varieties outside of "Mango" as I mentioned. So i wish i could help more. I will ask around perhaps.

That's good to know logees had them in deep pots. Most folks say pawpaw needs to be allowed to grow that 12-14 inch taproot, but a few nurseries are convinced otherwise. I have not seen long-term effects of non-taprooted pawpaws. I guess I will find out in a few years with the tree i ordered from One Green World. Certainly when i grow them myself, I use the 14 inch Treepots.

Yes certainly in their native range the plants are deciduous. I have read that they require 400 chill hours, if I recall correctly (quick google search or visit to pawpaw.ksu.edu would verify).

Seedlings from warm-climate-grown fruit might not be a bad idea but of course who knows what the quality would be.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
Peaceful heritage nursery in Tennessee has many types

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 01:35:10 PM »
I have owned my land for a year now and just discovered that I have dozens or more of pawpaw bushes.  They look like the asimina reticulata.  From what I have researched the fruit is not as large or tasty as the northern pawpaws, but I am stoked to find them.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6bK4rjI_ao

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
That’s really cool!
I’m not an expert in other Asimina species but in your video the little fruits do look like a small A triloba.
I’ve seen Asminia on the FL panhandle in Watercolor area and they are much more similar-looking to A triloba. They may even be.

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
I don't mind which one it is and maybe the triloba is tastier, but the leaves are much smaller on my bushes, they grow slowly and I am way further south than the Asimina triloba range.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
I don't mind which one it is and maybe the triloba is tastier, but the leaves are much smaller on my bushes, they grow slowly and I am way further south than the Asimina triloba range.

Yep - a great find regardless. You’ll have to let us know how the fruit tastes!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »
I have owned my land for a year now and just discovered that I have dozens or more of pawpaw bushes.  They look like the asimina reticulata.  From what I have researched the fruit is not as large or tasty as the northern pawpaws, but I am stoked to find them.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6bK4rjI_ao

Ive watched the videos and you got me a subscriber.Im also a beekeeper but small backyard beekeeper organic also.
What about pink honey in your description?
See my experience here with the coronavirus and how i think the bee pollen helped me.http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=37594.0
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:49:43 PM by SeaWalnut »

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
Violet Bee is our brand name.  We don’t have pink honey.  For the virus we are dosing up high on vitamin c.  I also made elder flower syrup.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 07:12:28 AM »

Hi Odenwald,
amazing, thanks for sharing. One question: Are the flowers in the inner area dark -violett- black coloured or are they in the inner aree sligthly reddish - brown coloured?
In first case it could be Asimina obovata (Big flower PawPaw), in second case asyou said Asimina reticukata (Netted PawPaw)

Just another interesting information: Your Name Odenwald is the same Name of a nice area not far away from me here in Germany! ;-)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:07:48 PM by usirius »
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 06:09:11 PM »
I’ll see if there are any flowers left to check on the colors.  The leaves have the pattern of reticulata. 
I named our farm after Odenwald Germany where my Grandfather was born.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 04:13:05 PM »
I’ll see if there are any flowers left to check on the colors.  The leaves have the pattern of reticulata. 
I named our farm after Odenwald Germany where my Grandfather was born.

That's interesting that your grandfather is not far from the area where I live here. Have you ever been here? By the way, the beautiful city of Heidelberg is right at the foot of the Odenwald!

Now to the Paw Paw of which you wrote: Yes, that would be nice if you could have a look, in case there are no more flowers, there will surely be fruits sometime......maybe you can post some more pictures, and if it would be possible for you to send me some seeds against reimbursement of expenses, that would be great.

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 05:13:48 PM »
Sorry but I don’t have any more flowers at the moment, so we’ll have to wait on the colors.  Grandpa was from Ober Ramstadt, grandma from Kusel.  My sister-in-law is from Heidelberg.  I have spent many afternoons searching for mushrooms in the Odenwald.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »
Sherwoods Greenhouse in Louisiana has long carried deep southern varieties of Pawpaw.  I don't know anything about their characteristics.
Har

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
Tasted my first asimina reticulata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwqRCtPaGlA

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »
Tasted my first asimina reticulata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwqRCtPaGlA

very cool! such a crazy coincidence because i was just watching a video of Neal Peterson discussing his hybridization efforts with A. triloba and the other Asimina. An audience member recounted how a friend was cleaning seeds of some of the florida Asimina species in his mouth and had a severe reaction.
Looks like you survived though :)

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 03:35:11 PM »
Great, thank you for sharing your impressions and expreriences while tasting these rare and special PawPAw. It seems to me that unlike Asimina obovata or Asimina parviflora it is also interesting as wild fruit.  If one day you can spare one or two seeds, I would be happy about it, and the plants growing from those seeds will live and grow not far away from the region "Odenwald" ;-)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:35:24 PM by usirius »