Author Topic: Santa Teresa lemon  (Read 1323 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Santa Teresa lemon
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »
I just received my Santa Teresa lemon tree from Four Winds. 1. What is their “semi-dwarfing” rootstock?
2. To what degree F is this lemon tree hardy to? I’m planning on keeping it indoors in pot forever assuming it can’t handle temps below freezing.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Teresa lemon
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
My name is Cindy

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
I am so glad that you posted this.  I have been waiting for fourwinds to have St Teresa back in stock for months and eventually gave up.  During summer they had "back in stock this Fall" then that message disappeared with no update. 

I am ordering one of these now, along with:

- Lisbon lemon, so I can try grafting it onto flying dragon.  Eureka lemon is incompatible with FD
- Sudachi, because I've always wanted to try it
- Kishu, because I can't find mine  :P

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
Careful with their soil. I've found they are very inconsistent with their soil and sometimes grow/ship in what seems to be really heavy organic material. Below are 3 avocados I received from them and planted. All dead within a month. The 4th picture is another avocado I planted at the same time from a local nursery that stresses not using wood chips and other organic material in immediate container . It's the healthy tree

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »
Most likely Cuban Shaddock, they are known for this and I found a confirmation from ~2015 of lemon grafted on this.

from: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2942396/cuban-shaddock-a-dwarfing-rootstock-i-doubt-it
"axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
I have just received the reply from FWG.
I have asked for the subject of my above post and a particular interest in knowing the rootstock of Genoa Lemon, bought in FWG recently by an American friend of mine.
This is all I have received as reply: "Yes, grafted on Cuban Shaddock""

Sounds like there is some debate about how dwarfing this actually is.

Their kumquats look to be grafted onto trifoliate orange.  Not sure about anything else