Author Topic: Citrus HLB Theories  (Read 626 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Citrus HLB Theories
« on: April 29, 2020, 12:07:20 AM »
What all do we know about HLB? Maybe post some speculations as to potential 'cures' and/or better tree maintenance protocols?
I am aware that foliar feeding and mulching heavily helps the plant resist HLB to some degree.
I have also heard reports of that growing citrus under oak canopies has some effect. Why is that? I speculate it could have something to do with the tannins and/or humic acids etc released by the decomposing leaves that in some way is affecting the citrus positively (perhaps enhanced nutrient uptake, ie inducing better xylem/phloem cell transportation), or perhaps just affecting the virus negatively (in our favor)?
Perhaps the oak leaves release a good bit of Nitrogen into the surrounding air that the citrus can uptake through its leaves more readily?
I have also been thinking about experimenting with salicylic acid or aspirin. Those compounds (originally derived from willow extract) enhance circulation and the flow of cells. Not sure if a protocol using this would be effective with citrus. I speculate a solution of it may have to be pH balanced.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk