Author Topic: White guava fruit always with white worms  (Read 649 times)

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
White guava fruit always with white worms
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:03:50 PM »
Years after years I got all fruits from my guava trees with fruit fly worms. It is the only tree that I have this problem. I don’t like pesticides but does anybody has any other solution. Thanks
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: White guava fruit always with white worms
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:10:39 AM »
There are so many fruit fly species and each has their own favoured hitlist. Guava is vary popular with many fruit fly species and not just white guavas. Qfly is the main offender in my area and the papaya fruit fly was wiped out. Qfly routinely turn feral and cultivated guava fruit in my area into bags of live rice. Should you wish to strike back neonicotenoids are probably your best bet but the local bees may be adversely impacted.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 09:33:18 AM »
Years after years I got all fruits from my guava trees with fruit fly worms. It is the only tree that I have this problem. I don’t like pesticides but does anybody has any other solution. Thanks

Welcome to growing Guava in SFla.  Get some organza bags (ebay or amazon), ones big enogh to hold the full size fruit.  You will need to bag the fruit when the are very small.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »
Keeping trees short enough to throw a sheer mosquito net over works pretty well. Paper bags can get compromised by the weather and guavas getting too big at times if only small ones are around.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 07:20:16 PM »

Welcome to growing Guava in SFla.  Get some organza bags (ebay or amazon), ones big enogh to hold the full size fruit.  You will need to bag the fruit when the are very small.

The 6x9 inch organza bags worked well for me they come with a drawstring and can be ashed for reuse.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 08:25:53 PM »
Hi you can use 4-2-2.In a gallon with water mix 4 spoon of baking soda, 2 of oil and 2 of white liquid soap. You have to mist every 14 day. Works either fruit fly and many fungus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk