Author Topic: Soursop varieties?  (Read 2693 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Soursop varieties?
« on: September 11, 2020, 06:28:40 AM »
Are there different varieties of soursop or just one main variety. Is its fruits availability? Can it be bought in South Florida or is the fruit rare and cannot be bought at a farmers market? What size could it be maintained if grown in a container? I am thinking of building a small Greenhouse just for that purpose. Many Forum members Rave about it's juice and other qualities :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:31:35 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop varieties question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
The search feature provided free by this site is full of useful information on this subject. 

We grow 1 we bought 3gal. from Lara Farms it’s about 15’ and has not flowered or fruited in 4 years.  I recently was given 69 seeds I planted in biodynamic compost.  This totally neglected seed grown tree, I’ve seen fruiting is growing in inland North Indian River County, Fellsmere, Fl  zone 9b. the tree is about 15’.   Thank you for the seeds forum member.  I’m excited to see if I can fruit this here in 10a.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:40:23 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop varieties?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 06:54:32 AM »
Yes bovine search the forum. To generalise there are quite a few named varieties. They vary from sour to sweet (eg Arusha is sweet), from fibrous/cottony to smooth (eg Whitman Fibreless), from deep green to yellow (eg golden), from small to large (eg Morado) and from light bearing to heavy bearing (eg recife/lisa). Have fun searching.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 06:57:04 AM »
Let me know if you find a large sweet yellow heaving bearing fibreless type.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 08:22:34 AM »
I just found one locally I'll find out what variety it is. He deals with zhpp. I would like to buy the fruit in South Florida and try it before I build a greenhouse but I'll guess I'll just roll the dice. Thanks for your input I will definitely study it this weekend :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
If you want to get an idea of the flavor, you can purchase the canned or bottled nectar, which is widely available in South Florida at supermarkets that cater to immigrant populations.  You really should do that first thing before you go any further.  I was under the impression that soursop is not normally grafted, with nurseries selling seedling trees from a good line of fruit.  I've bought 2 trees from Excalibur over the years, and they've told me they were non-cottony but still seedlings.  I've yet to eat a truly fiberless or ultra-low-fiber soursop in the same league as a fiberless mango.  I've always had to mash the pulp through a strainer.  On the other hand, the flavor of these Excalibur soursops has always been rich and a perfect combination of intense sweet and some sour or acidic, and it has had similarities to other annonas.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:38:47 AM by johnb51 »
John

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »
 I have these  type Soursop each weighing around Six (6) Kg. They are quite sweet and do not have much fibre. Great as juice, for making a mousse or an Ice Cream. Any  help on classifying criteria of this variety ?

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 03:56:38 PM »
 I have these  type Soursop each weighing around Six (6) Kg. They are quite sweet and do not have much fibre. Great as juice, for making a mousse or an Ice Cream. Any  help on classifying criteria of this variety ?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 04:14:05 PM »

You should start a new topic or thread called ID this soursop and then maybe some of the heavyweights will weigh in. But as for me being a novice i would say that variety should be named largely delicious. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:22:30 PM by bovine421 »

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »
My best soursop was the one i found adventuring in a forest in St Lucia in 2014. The tree was in the forest trail on the way to the Superman’s falls, a totally secluded 50ft tall waterfall :) . Since then i have eaten many here in FL but they were all a bit sour and bit on fibrous side. Now i am growing a Yucatan type from JF, a Bali soursop from Fruitscapes, a ‘Miami’ variety, a small seedling of Costa Rican variety from Fruitliberty. Would love to taste the Cuban fiberless and Whitman fiberless varieties someday.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »
I just found one locally I'll find out what variety it is. He deals with zhpp. I would like to buy the fruit in South Florida and try it before I build a greenhouse but I'll guess I'll just roll the dice. Thanks for your input I will definitely study it this weekend :)
If you don't end up filling the greenhouse with sour sop I bet you find something that
needs some winter protection to occupy the space

I had two sour sops last year both seedlings. One was 7 feet and in a 15 gallon pot and one was
a 3 foot seedling I transplanted from a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon. They were from different sources.
Last Winter we got 50 F one night and the larger tree lost it's leaves on my protected lanai.
It died back and started growing from the roots this Spring. I gave it away.
The small tree I decided to plant last February. We ended up getting 40f three nights in
a row and the tree was pushing new growth and it never quit pushing the new growth.
The tree is now 7 foot. Is this tree more cold tolerant or what? Everything I know says the
smaller tree should have been effected more? I am real curious what it does this Winter.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
Did we talk about foliage colour? Whitmans has a blue tinge, some have a greyish thing going on and at the other end of the spectrum the golden has yellow/green foliage.

The fruit on this golden is small and mis-shapen  but they are usually pretty good. I would rate the taste ahead of Cuban fibreless and it has less fibre as well ironically.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 11:47:28 PM »

This Costa Rican semi fibreless is sweet and has a very pleasing shape and is productive.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »

This Costa Rican semi fibreless is sweet and has a very pleasing shape and is productive.

Mike, this is tempting  ;D, now where can i get seeds of the Cuban fiberless and golden variety. They come almost true to seed right?

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »

Giant soft sweet soursop or GSS soursop. 

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 03:06:36 PM »
My best soursop was the one i found adventuring in a forest in St Lucia in 2014. The tree was in the forest trail on the way to the Superman’s falls, a totally secluded 50ft tall waterfall :) . Since then i have eaten many here in FL but they were all a bit sour and bit on fibrous side. Now i am growing a Yucatan type from JF, a Bali soursop from Fruitscapes, a ‘Miami’ variety, a small seedling of Costa Rican variety from Fruitliberty. Would love to taste the Cuban fiberless and Whitman fiberless varieties someday.

I got a text from my go-to guy up here the soursop
he set aside for me is the Miami variety how would you classify or review its taste :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:14:09 PM by bovine421 »

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »

I got a text from my go-to guy up here the soursop
he set aside for me is the Miami variety how would you classify or review its taste :)

Not much different in taste and fiber,  like any seedling tree,  but i was tempted to get this variety as i was told it is pretty productive without hand pollination. Mine flowered first time this year , a single flower but flower dropped, probably the tree needs to mature.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 01:10:49 AM »
Cuban Fiberless is a bit of a mis-nomer as there is plenty of fibre and they are a pretty standard variety. They are not a variety to lay awake at night thinking about.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 08:04:51 AM »
Cuban Fiberless is a bit of a mis-nomer as there is plenty of fibre and they are a pretty standard variety. They are not a variety to lay awake at night thinking about.

heatless fantasy killer

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
Different Soursop varieties' aromas also vary a lot.  Per university labwork in Puerto Rico, there are over a dozen components of the aroma, which all vary in concentration, with some varieties also having a complete lack of some of the components.
Har

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop varieties question
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 09:29:54 AM »
The search feature provided free by this site is full of useful information on this subject.

Yes bovine search the forum.

Ok I love this forum dearly like the rest of you, but we really need to call a spade a spade here. The search function is trash. As far as I can tell, we can't search by author, date, title, text, boolean, etc. You can type a word like "soursop" in and see the hundreds of threads in which that word appears, and that's about all the functionality of it. Our search function is waaayyyy behind the times.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 04:55:45 PM »

This was the fruit on the soursops from Pine Island Nursery near Homestead. I believe  their source of seeds comes from the Imported Sops from Grenada.

For me the Taste is 10/10. Fruit is extremely juicy and a little bit chewy, its like a atemoya with a underlying component of tart green apple flavor. Very revitalizing.

Productivity seems to vary between trees. Grafted would be ideal to ensure production.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 10:30:05 PM »
This was the fruit on the soursops from Pine Island Nursery near Homestead. I believe  their source of seeds comes from the Imported Sops from Grenada.

For me the Taste is 10/10. Fruit is extremely juicy and a little bit chewy, its like a atemoya with a underlying component of tart green apple flavor. Very revitalizing.

Productivity seems to vary between trees. Grafted would be ideal to ensure production.

Good to know, I planted 20 from them last year.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2024, 10:54:19 PM »
When it comes to Soursop,
what We want is: Reliable & Heavy Yearly Productivity (IMO).

There seems to be some good Progress being made on Soursop_Varieties on this front.

Julian from Lara_Farms discovered and sells the Soursop_Variety that he named:
Miami.

I bought 2 (Miami_Soursop) from him recently.
So, no fruit yet (although one of them came with a flower!).
It’s supposed to be a Reliable & Heavy Yearly Producer.

I’ve recently learned from a reliable source, that a seedling of Miami_Soursop is twice as productive!
The name of this new variety is (as I was told) Homestead_Soursop.

So, these may now be the top 2 Soursop_Cultivars in the South Florida area.

If they pan out, it’s a big deal, as up to recently, the consensus is that Soursop in S. Florida produces a few fruit every few years, if that.

So, very exciting and I hope that the good news continues.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 02:51:39 PM »
How does a grafted soursop fare? I have several cherimoya trees that i plan on turning into annona fruit salad trees. Which variety would be the most prolific while also tasting good, i dont mind fiber but fiberless is always nice. Also, some soursops have almost a “vomit” like aftertaste (it isn’t that bad but is kind of off putting)