Author Topic: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)  (Read 23204 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Mango Season (Florida)
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2021, 08:37:19 PM »
I bought mine from a restaurant supply store on the web. I bought 1 quart  and 4 lb ones. The 4lb ones are great for clusters of mangoes. I have as many as 4 Haden’s in 1 clamshell box. If the mangoes expand too much the box will pop open in 1 corner. So far fruit inside stays about as clean as the cleanest not boxed. Only 1 box out of 100 popped open on 1 side but it had 5 mangoes inside. With LZ’s probably going to all be picked in the next 2 weeks this experiment as far as producing spotless fruit is a 10. As far as protection from squirrels if I take the fruit off at the right time I won’t find out because the right time is right before the smell of the fruit becomes so sweet that the squirrels go crazy and attack the fruit. And all the boxes are totally reusable for years!!!
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-qt-vented-clamshell-produce-berry-container-case/434H7561.html

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2021, 04:54:29 PM »
Today is a wonderful day for FL mangoes.

Earlier, ate the best mango of the season so far. Perfectly ripened Ceci Love. Juicy, sweet, subacid, and some spice. Just perfect. I could eat several back to back.

Then, just got into a LZ that did not disappoint. Wonderful citrus flavor, seemed like orange sherbet at times. And then, the flesh around the seed was especially good. No doubt there were coconut hints mixed in. Quite a treat. Need more.

Can't say which was better.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2021, 05:00:33 PM »

I picked my first Pickering yesterday. It fell into my hand when I touched it.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2021, 05:32:52 PM »

Pickering makes it easy!  It absolutely ripens on the tree!  And you don't need a ladder or a fruit-picker (pole).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 05:35:57 PM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »

Pickering makes it easy!  It absolutely ripens on the tree!  And you don't need a ladder or a fruit-picker (pole).

You obviously haven't seen Walter's trees.
- Rob

kmwilli6

• USA, FL, Tampa, 9
    • View Profile
    • Real Sweet Farms
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2021, 11:27:56 AM »
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice for when to pick 'Angie' mangos. I have a lot of squirrels and other critters that eat a lot of the fruit from my yard so I'd like to pick them as early as possible. When do you pick them and do you think the one pictured below is ready?

Thanks!
Kevin

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2021, 02:40:25 PM »
Picked these this morning when i heard mower coming.  Kent, felt like 8lbs all 4.

Ate 1 other day i knocked off topping tree last month during cool weather.  Left in sun a week, was good!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2021, 04:06:46 PM »
Tasty Glenns coming in. Clean fruit, aromatic, fiberless, juicy, and a pleasant peachy flavor. Quite sweet this year. If it only had some acidity.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »
SWFL 1/2 my lemon meringue falling dead ripe. Pim Sen Mun and Okrung about 1/2 harvested, Some NDM ripening, Fairchild has scattered fruit ripening. Some Coghall are ready, others waiting, Carrie showing color break. Some Jean Ellen breaking color. All others still green.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2021, 08:26:39 AM »

A friend let me try some of his pim sen mun. There is a little fiber but if you like the taste of longans then this is an excellent mango to eat. It was really enjoyable with a paper thin skin. People eat this green but I like it ripe. Speaking of green mango, I wife ate some pram kea mea and she loves it. Crunchy sweet and refreshing.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
I picked some green PPK last Friday.  They're ripening ok.  The flavor is fine, but the brix is lower than it should be.
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2021, 10:37:47 PM »
SWFL 1/2 my lemon meringue falling dead ripe. Pim Sen Mun and Okrung about 1/2 harvested, Some NDM ripening, Fairchild has scattered fruit ripening. Some Coghall are ready, others waiting, Carrie showing color break. Some Jean Ellen breaking color. All others still green.

How do you determine when your okrung are ripe? I have an okrung seedling that put out 3 fruits for the first time this year. I guess I will find out if I picked the right sprout.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »

How do you determine when your okrung are ripe? I have an okrung seedling that put out 3 fruits for the first time this year. I guess I will find out if I picked the right sprout.
A slight yellowing but very slight usually before they fall.

The fruit is usually fine to take inside and ripen another few days as so small and compact damage is seldom a problem with the drop especially if a young tree. I usually let them ripen till I see brown areas forming as these brown areas do not taste good but the fruit is sweetest when they start to form so you may want to let at least the first start to almost get a spot before cutting and eating to taste the max sweetness and it is sweeter than some others like phillipine at this stage.

Problems: tree is not a consistent bearer and this year my 7+ year old tree only kept 1 fruit. Last year I did not get many either but the year before I had a nice crop. I did get another fruit this year on one of the trees i multiple grafted 2 years ago but I did not know it was  okrung until I cut into it as it is so similar to phillipine often if both drop greenish to minimal yellowing and if I don't check the fruit for the creased area looking like a butt crack on one of okrungs sides.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »
Tasty Glenns coming in. Clean fruit, aromatic, fiberless, juicy, and a pleasant peachy flavor. Quite sweet this year. If it only had some acidity.
I have been getting some Glenns from a neighbor. I usually eat mangos at room temperature. But I refrigerate Glenns. Then eat at refrigerator level temperature. I find that the cold enhances their flavor. Brings out their flavor

Try this with any bland mango.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2021, 11:02:44 AM »

A slight yellowing but very slight usually before they fall.

The fruit is usually fine to take inside and ripen another few days as so small and compact damage is seldom a problem with the drop especially if a young tree. I usually let them ripen till I see brown areas forming as these brown areas do not taste good but the fruit is sweetest when they start to form so you may want to let at least the first start to almost get a spot before cutting and eating to taste the max sweetness and it is sweeter than some others like phillipine at this stage.

Problems: tree is not a consistent bearer and this year my 7+ year old tree only kept 1 fruit. Last year I did not get many either but the year before I had a nice crop. I did get another fruit this year on one of the trees i multiple grafted 2 years ago but I did not know it was  okrung until I cut into it as it is so similar to phillipine often if both drop greenish to minimal yellowing and if I don't check the fruit for the creased area looking like a butt crack on one of okrungs sides.

Due to their fiber and size, Okrungs can be let to drop and they will be perfectly fine. 
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2021, 12:13:12 PM »
I usually don't like refrigerated mangoes, but will see what some cool does to the flavor of Glenn. Our youngest only eats frozen mango. Hard to cut up and freeze some of the primo varieties; things we do for love.

Picked these up today. When got home, neighbor had left a bag of the reddish ones on the porch. =)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2021, 12:26:46 PM »

Galatians522, how old/large is your seedling tree? Any pics?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2021, 10:10:15 PM »

Galatians522, how old/large is your seedling tree? Any pics?

It is about 7' tall and wide. I tipped it to give it a more rounded shape. I think I planted the seed about 5-6 years ago. Its been in the ground for 3 years I think. It probably would have fruited a year sooner if I had taken better care of it and not left it in a 7 gallon pot for 2 years. I don't have a picture of it at the moment--its pretty typical.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2021, 10:00:33 AM »
Just ate my first Sunny from Doc Campbell. What a nice surprise, really good. Juicy and sweet, with quite a bit of tang to it. Not too complex. No fiber. Clean mango. Kept the seed. Got another one to try.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk