Author Topic: WTB: Fortunella Hindsii (aka Hong kong kumquat / kinzu / Golden bean kumquat)  (Read 6815 times)

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any fortunella hindsii plants or seeds for sale?

Or know of a good source to get them affordably?

I've heard it has the shortest juvenile period for a citrus species (essentially unedible due to size/seeds though)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
I had a Hong Kong kumquat tree that I grew from seed, and the tree did produce fruit the first year.  Definitely not eatable.  I got tired of taking care of it and tossed it.  This was 10 years ago, and I no longer remember where I got the seed.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Probably Ned. I had one too, pretty much useless.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Probably Ned. I had one too, pretty much useless.

Who is Ned?

They're used ornamentally in bonsai (despite being slow growers)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
I want one too, just to complete my kumquat collection.  I had two but they keep dying for reasons that weren't clear to me.

There's a local place that sells them occasionally, but seeds are probably the way to go for these.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Ned Rahn, but he closed his nursery.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
I want one too, just to complete my kumquat collection.  I had two but they keep dying for reasons that weren't clear to me.

There's a local place that sells them occasionally, but seeds are probably the way to go for these.
I saw live plants being sold on ebay for 24 dollars. I didn't pick one up (think they're sold out now) as I'll probably use that bit of cash on seeds soon.

Ned Rahn, but he closed his nursery.
What a shame, the search continues.

brian

• View Profile
franklazar has one.  We can all beg him for seeds once his fruits.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
franklazar has one.  We can all beg him for seeds once his fruits.
I think (?) I've seen that name before. I'm still relatively new here so still learning names haha.

I'd gladly shoot him a message if he's open to it. If I see any seeds I may update this thread too.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Sorry it’s been a while since I’ve been online lol, I’m getting ready to trim mine back if anyone is interested in cuttings. It’s roughly a 2 year old plant from seed.. no fruit yet but perhaps someone can get the cuttings to root.

I’m going to give it a little boost of light here soon and try to induce fruiting this spring.

Out of stock now, but a place to watch:

https://nurcar.com/products/fortunella-hindsii?variant=7145253077035

I got mine from here and it was a very healthy plant. Again just still waiting on fruit.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:31:08 AM by franklazar26 »

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Hello, the description for the plant sounds like it is a Procimequat. I emailed the seller for clarification and they were borderline rude and defensive about the name not matching the description. So it doesn't sound like they know wether that is a Hindsii or the hybrid Procimequat. What does your fruit look like?

brian

• View Profile
Yeah I don't know what the Eustis parentage comment in the seller's description is about.  The picture looks right for Hong Kong kumquat. 

vnomonee

• View Profile
Right? I was hesitant to order one based on the description but after the bizarre interaction with the seller I'm looking elsewhere. The Woodlanders page is definitely selling a Procimequat, so if that is their source for the plant material then they are not actually selling a hindsii which is inaccurate at best and dishonest at worst

brian

• View Profile
There is an exotic plant shop near me that sells them occasionally.  I will have to go check again and see.  I had bought two over the years and they always died on me.  And we can always hope that franklazar's produce seeds soon :)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Hello, the description for the plant sounds like it is a Procimequat. I emailed the seller for clarification and they were borderline rude and defensive about the name not matching the description. So it doesn't sound like they know wether that is a Hindsii or the hybrid Procimequat. What does your fruit look like?

Looks like a HK to me! Tons of little fruits, crazy everywhere. Flowering again even... I will have seeds available soon. I'm thinking based on what it looks like, the plant and the dime sized fruits about to ripen, it is a Hong Kong kumquat. I could be mistaken anyways though.. I'll see if it has one or a few seeds once they ripen, that will be a final determining factor.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:52:32 PM by franklazar26 »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Found this on UCR: "The Hongkong wild kumquat fruits have only three or four segments. The ovaries of the procimequat hybrid under consideration usually show from four to five segments."

For fun I cut one open, seems to have 3 segments. My guess is it is indeed HK but I'll check again when fruits are ripe. Even if it is prociemquat, it's still a crazy cool hard to find hybrid, being a triploid that still gives seeds, however only producing nucellar seeds.

vnomonee

• View Profile
Very cool thanks for the pictures!

brian

• View Profile
frank your photo looks like the hong kong kumquat plants I had before, I think you have the right one

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
I do agree Brian, I’ll hopefully have seeds within a month or two!

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
That's a nice lil crop coming in! keep us updated and I'm first in line for some of those seeds  ;D

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
I counted around 40 fruits on the tree and about 50 more flowers coming! Started flowering and it doesn’t quit!!

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile

Starting to ripen. Definitely is Hong Kong.. should have seeds soon.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Go kinzu go! *Fingers crossed*

brian

• View Profile
looking good!

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile

If anyone is looking for P-quat, woodlanders just sent me a nice little tree with 1 fruit on it. They still have them and are shipping this month only.